Are There Any Lawyers In Here?

Huw

What sort of advice are you looking for Huw?

You'll get plenty here, some really good some smart-ass comments like the one above.

Take them with a pinch of salt.

Many people on this forum have been through divorce in Thailand.

also you need to post your location

From what little I know, mother-in-law's divorce.... it is a 50/50 deal, unless there is an agreement made.

They agreed, that SHE would pay him some money and be done with him. She paid, and it was a pretty painless ordeal for both parties.

I can't remember how much she paid, I just heard the court was shocked to see her pay... a woman pay a man type thing. I might have been her take only on the ordeal though. So I take it with a grain of salt.

What sort of advice are you looking for Huw?

You'll get plenty here, some really good some smart-ass comments like the one above.

Take them with a pinch of salt.

Many people on this forum have been through divorce in Thailand.

also you need to post your location

Cheers, I saw the smartass.

I was married in UK to a Thai woman who came over from BKK for the ceremony. Matrriage is not registered in Thailand. Living now in BKK. She just forced me out of the house and made all sorts of threats about property. I own a few condos here in BKK, all in my name and all bought with money bought in from sale of houses in UK, ie, money owned prior to marriage. There is a prenuptual agreemenet signed by us both agreeing that some property I owned in BKK prior to the marriage is mine and she has no claim. I paid half of the house she now lives in and it is also on the prenup that I get half.

I just heard some dire things about her going for my property (all of which is now for sale).

As I see it: marriage not registered in LOS so divorce cannot be done here (unless I agree to register it which isnt going to happen - I think to register requires both parties). I keep all condos owned prior to marriage. I think I own all condos in my name only bought after marriage but with funds owned before marriage, for which bank confirmation was needed for the purchase.

I could do with some corroboration or refutation of what I think above. She is trying hard to make a case for adultery but it is all smoke and mirrors. She actually had me followed by a geek on a motorcycle but he nicked off sharpish when I fronted him with a pissed-off look on my face.

Just spooked I guess, appreciate any opinion.

H

Agreed. And pay what it takes to get a good, reliable lawyer. If you have assets, not getting a good lawyer tends to be penny wise and pound foolish. On the other hand, don't get led down the road where you spend pounds fighting over pennies. Divorce is tough in many ways, and this balance of knowing how much lawyering to get into can be one of the toughest.

And this isn't legal advice, but you may also wish to think about whether all assets are in Thailand and whether all assets were acquired during marriage. It's common in many jurisdictions that you and you alone get to keep all your pre-marriage assets, absent a binding agreement to the contrary. Sorry if this is too obvious.

Good luck.

Sorry- missed your second post somehow. In light of that information, even more important to get a good lawyer and move on to a new one and/or get a good UK lawyer in the overwatch if you don't have a high comfort level with the first Thai lawyer.

Hopefully the prenup has a choice of law provision that UK law will apply and that it will be litigated in the UK, and hopefully Thai law will recognize that.

Cheers.

I was married in UK to a Thai woman who came over from BKK for the ceremony. Matrriage is not registered in Thailand. Living now in BKK. She just forced me out of the house and made all sorts of threats about property. I own a few condos here in BKK, all in my name and all bought with money bought in from sale of houses in UK, ie, money owned prior to marriage. There is a prenuptual agreemenet signed by us both agreeing that some property I owned in BKK prior to the marriage is mine and she has no claim. I paid half of the house she now lives in and it is also on the prenup that I get half.

I just heard some dire things about her going for my property (all of which is now for sale).

As I see it: marriage not registered in LOS so divorce cannot be done here (unless I agree to register it which isnt going to happen - I think to register requires both parties). I keep all condos owned prior to marriage. I think I own all condos in my name only bought after marriage but with funds owned before marriage, for which bank confirmation was needed for the purchase.

I could do with some corroboration or refutation of what I think above. She is trying hard to make a case for adultery but it is all smoke and mirrors. She actually had me followed by a geek on a motorcycle but he nicked off sharpish when I fronted him with a pissed-off look on my face.

Just spooked I guess, appreciate any opinion.

H

Yes you need a good lawyer, but it sounds as though you have it pretty well set up already.

With no marriage registered in Thailand, I think she will have to return to the UK and divorce you there. :o

What does she get under your present will??

Perhaps time to change that,?

Watch your back.