UK asks EU for Brexit grace period extension to 2023, BBC reports

snoop1130

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

The UK was not a member state in December. We left in Jan 2020. 

But we were still subject to all the rules and regulations until the end of the transition period; midnight on 31st December 2020.

As explained ad infinitum; we used those rules and regulations to unilaterally authorise use of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Hungary only has a 6 month authorisation to use the Russian vaccine. The European Medicines Agency has to license any vaccine for use in EU countries, but they allow countries to license vaccines temporarily (how generous of them). 

Which is how we were able to approve the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in December though still subject to the EU rules and regulations. That approval was also temporary. Although now we are no longer under those rules and regulations, that point is moot.

The EU should be bending over backwards to help ease the the export issues for the UK. After all, our Oxford scientists produced a vaccine that is cheap and easy to store and therefore easy to roll out globally. The EU should be thankful for that. Plus if the EU do the decent thing we are more likely to help them out of their own self inflicted vaccine crisis.

The EU approved the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine once an application had been submitted. EMA receives application for conditional marketing authorisation of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca

The assessment of the vaccine, known as COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, will proceed under an accelerated timeline.

Although supply shortages of the vaccine meant that despite this the EU will not have the amount they had been promised: Covid: Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine delivery to EU to be cut by 60%

Problems at the Pfizer plant, also in Belgium, have led to the reduction in promised deliveries to both the UK and EU.

UK to face delay in delivery of Pfizer Covid vaccine

Coronavirus: EU anger over delayed Pfizer vaccine deliveries

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Loiner said:

You may only get your appreciation  of the government Brexit preparations from the TV adverts or what you read in the Grauniad. You are wrong and doing your twisting again. System and paperwork have been in preparation for the past few years and progressively rolled out for over a year. 

TV adverts made under the instruction of and paid for by the UK government which directed people to the UK government pages I linked to.

Nothing in my post came from the Guardian or any other media. Click on the links in my post and you will see all the information on how to prepare for Brexit I've quoted comes from the UK government!

That UK government information was first publicised last July; as my link clearly shows.

Prove me wrong by providing an official UK government 'how to prepare for the requirements of the post Brexit UK/EU trade agreement' from before the government's July 2020 announcement.

I await your usual feeble "I wont dance to your tune" excuse for not doing so.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Gagging for it they were, especially the extended contributions which would have been due with an extended transition. They were all clamouring in June, until Boris said No to another extension. Well done Bozza, again. 

Evidence has been provided to refute your claim; where is yours to support it?

Or will you yet again resort to your  your usual feeble "I wont dance to your tune" excuse for not doing providing any?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tebee said:

<snip>

In the UK, not only had no one  explained to business what would be required, but that shambles we call a government could not get itself ready in time for it's own self imposed deadline ! 

Indeed.

As shown earlier, the official UK guidance to businesses was not updated to take account of the trade agreement until 31/12/20; seven days after the agreement was reached.

OK they had to rush it. Which probably explains why they made such a hash of it, that the guidance has had to be updated four times since!

So much for claims that everything was ready to roll over a year ago!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

Real people in real businesses were already using new systems long before TV adverts.

What systems were those?

Why no evidence of them from you?

2 minutes ago, Loiner said:

The TV ads appeared for those who may not already be trading with the U.K. but possibly could need to get themselves informed.

Err, the UK government's TV ads, shown in the UK, were specifically directed at business large and small in the UK who wanted to continue to trade with the EU. Not people outside the UK who wanted to trade with the UK!

Of course these people needed to get informed; but as the updates to the UK government's guidance proves, not even the UK government knew what would be required until the agreement was finally reached on Christmas Eve.

To be fair, though, there was some advice from the government on what would be required if there was no deal; but as there is one, that was binned.

6 minutes ago, Loiner said:

They are one of the last stages of general public information,

Yes, the guidance I linked to was the last stage of information; because nothing was certain until the agreement was reached. But that guidance and it's updates first appeared in July 2020. 

I've asked you for earlier guidance; you haven't provided it.

But maybe you believe businesses in the UK are all equipped with crystal balls or time machines so they can see the future! Then again, given the nonsense you post, that wouldn't surprise me!

9 minutes ago, Loiner said:

or for nosey bystanders like yourself. 

Nosey bystander? Being concerned about the effects of Brexit on business and therefore the economy in my country makes me a nosey bystander?

A pathetic comment from someone with no real argument and zero facts to back up what you say.

11 minutes ago, Loiner said:

If you were involved in a business or sector trading with the EU, you would already know all that

I admit to not being involved in trade with the EU; but I know people who are. From what they tell me, plus reports in the media of the many delays and difficulties faced by UK exporters to the EU, especially small to medium businesses show that they most definitely did not know all that; because the advice from the government was effectively "wait and see."

Of course, if all is as wonderful and easy as you claim, why is Gove asking for an extension? Not even you can call him a Remainer who is trying to sabotage Brexit! Can you?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

You have not provided anything of the sort, just more twisting. Your reference to WA does nothing to refute my claim at all. It rather supports it actually, in that they made provision in the hope it would be extended by Barnier’s negotiating strategy. 

I provided a quote from, and link to, the Institute for Government.

Who are 'they' who made the provision? It was Boris who triumphally announced the WA as his deal!

BTW, Article 132 of the WA allowed the Joint (UK/EU) Committee to extend the transition period if both the UK and EU agreed. The UK could have suggested it, the EU could also have done so.

However, as far as I can ascertain, although the EU members of the committee informally suggested an extension to allow both the EU and UK to focus on responses to the pandemic, no formal request was ever made. Apparently because the informal suggestion was rejected out of hand by the UK representatives on the committee. 

Unless you can provide evidence to show otherwise. 

But I expect that yet again you'll use your excuse for not having any evidence to support your claims by saying that you don't dance to other's tunes!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

Gagging for it they were, especially the extended contributions which would have been due with an extended transition. They were all clamouring in June, until Boris said No to another extension. Well done Bozza, again. 

I can't help but read that and and think of this -

Really, that’s their best offer? That’s the plan? To swagger into Brussels with Union Jack pants on and say: “ ’Ello luv, you’re looking nice today. Would you like some?” When the rest of us ask how that’s really going to work, leavers reply, with Terry-Thomas smirks, that “they’re going to still really fancy us, honest, they’re gagging for us.

So, given that the EU was ready to go from day 1 and we were not, you'd rather stick it to the EU because you think they wanted the extension that get that extension and not cripple British industry as they and our government  were were not ready.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Let's look at the bright side about this asking for a grace period.

The Brexitears will never again dare to critisize the EU bureaucracy, after the way the UK Tax department messed up this oven ready deal.

I'm afraid we just cannot compete with the likes of Mrs U v d Leyen, if she was the answer, what was the question.

• Like 2

Just now, bkkcanuck8 said:

The term begging is usually used by those begging... it is an interpretation.  I would say if you asked once and accepted the answer the term 'ask' would be appropriate, if you ask repeatedly and refuse to accept the answer you don't want or you ask and if the answer is one you don't like and you whinge and complain about it... then 'begging' would be the appropriate terminology.

It may be your interpretation, it is certainly not mine and playing with semantics does not remove the incompetency of  the UvdL, but just between you and myself, how did she get to be in charge of the EU, you can tell me, I'll keep it to myself. ????????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Yeah, whilst I admire you for trying to keep the tanker afloat the EU is letting more water in than it can handle and will eventually sink. This will be my one and only reply to you, I think we both know why. 

I so much like what this stand up comedian (sit down comedian?) does with his glasses.

It must have taken him years to reach this level of perfection. Maybe he got inspired by Cleese's "How to irritate people"?

I laughed so hard that I did not pay attention to what this joker said - probably of no consequence anyway.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

...so that he could then give goods coming from Europe an extension of half year, and ask for a two years extension for Northern Ireland now ???? 

Just shows again that he’s catering to people like you, who are so obsessed about slogans and symbols that they don’t see through the results.

No. It’s was so that we would officially be free of the EU clutches and their extended membership disguised as a Transition Period. 

Once the contributions have stopped negotiations can continue to resolve these issues. 

Good job he’s catering to Leavers and not those who would pander to the EU. Sorry Fritz but you are so obsessed with trying to claim we should have stayed that you cannot see our result. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1