UK asks EU for Brexit grace period extension to 2023, BBC reports

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, vogie said:

Whose-ever idea it was it was not a very good idea, are you not bothered that our citizens in NI are not being treated the same as the rest of us, come on you keep saying that you're a patriot, show it.

The “patriotic” thing to do and the treatment “our citizens in NI” deserve is another civil war in Ireland? 

28 minutes ago, vogie said:

Where do borders go, there is only one place for a border to go and that is between two foreign countries and and a border will not break the GFA, only a militarized border would do this.

Borders between countries come with border posts and police. That alone would be enough to break the GFA and risk another conflict. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The “patriotic” thing to do and the treatment “our citizens in NI” deserve is another civil war in Ireland? 

Borders between countries come with border posts and police. That alone would be enough to break the GFA and risk another conflict. 

Link.

UvdL was the instigator on all of this, I told you that you would reap what you show.

Edited by vogie

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Myanmar, Thailand?.......Maybe violence from the IRA won't usurp democracy, but it won't stop people dying during their attempts to do so.

So we forget about democracy because you don't want to upset a terrorist organization, yeah that'll work just fine. Don't forget that the IRA signed this GFA in the form of Martin McGuiness, you seem very concerned about Boris going back on his word but don't have a problem with terrorists, would that be a fair appraisel of what you are saying?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vogie said:

Link.

UvdL was the instigator on all of this, I told you that you would reap what you show.

You are HALF right, HALF wrong.  The "Northern Ireland only 'Backstop'' was part of the original Withdrawal Agreement signed into law in the Withdrawal agreement.  The original suggestion from the EU side was for that to be part of the agreement, but Theresa May decided (since DUP held the balance of power) that was unacceptable and agreed with the EU that the UK would remain in the backstop with Northern Ireland until such time as things could be worked out.... Theresa May's government fell and Boris took over and decided he did not want to keep the existing agreement and wanted to 'change the agreement' to leaving Northern Ireland in the customs union (as part of taking the UK out in a much harder Brexit)...   He went to the EU and proposed it and since it was closer to the suggestion of the EU to begin with... they agreed that the Withdrawal agreement could be amended.   In other words, it was not at the EUs insistence, but it was an idea first raised by the EU. 

https://www.euronews.com/2019/07/26/brexit-what-is-the-irish-backstop-and-why-does-boris-johnson-want-it-ditched

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

You are HALF right, HALF wrong.  The "Northern Ireland only 'Backstop'' was part of the original Withdrawal Agreement signed into law in the Withdrawal agreement.  The original suggestion from the EU side was for that to be part of the agreement, but Theresa May decided (since DUP held the balance of power) that was unacceptable and agreed with the EU that the UK would remain in the backstop with Northern Ireland until such time as things could be worked out.... Theresa May's government fell and Boris took over and decided he did not want to keep the existing agreement and wanted to 'change the agreement' to leaving Northern Ireland in the customs union (as part of taking the UK out in a much harder Brexit)...   He went to the EU and proposed it and since it was closer to the suggestion of the EU to begin with... they agreed that the Withdrawal agreement could be amended.   In other words, it was not at the EUs insistence, but it was an idea first raised by the EU. 

https://www.euronews.com/2019/07/26/brexit-what-is-the-irish-backstop-and-why-does-boris-johnson-want-it-ditched

What I said was who ever put this in place, it hasn't worked. The EU were the first to trigger art 16, do we agree on that?

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

What I said was who ever put this in place, it hasn't worked. The EU were the first to trigger art 16, do we agree on that?

Technically not, the EU was the first one to 'threaten' to trigger Article 16 .... this year.... they did not trigger article 16 (which was quickly backtracked -- probably by Ireland calling up and saying <deleted>!).   Early UK proposals (which Ireland rejected) would have triggered it by putting up a border checkpoints between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland -- though I am not sure the words uttered accepting that it would.

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Technically not, the EU was the first one to 'threaten' to trigger Article 16 .... this year.... they did not trigger article 16 (which was quickly backtracked -- probably by Ireland calling up and saying <deleted>!).   Early UK proposals (which Ireland rejected) would have triggered it by putting up a border checkpoints between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland -- though I am not sure the words uttered accepting that it would.

"Technically not" ????????

The Irish seem to think that they triggered art16, everybody else seems to agree that it was triggered, the only people that are saying it wasn't triggered are the ones trying to cover up this monumental error of judgement.

"The EU has triggered Article 16 of the protocol to temporarily place export controls on this movement in respect of vaccines.
It comes amid a deepening row over the allocation of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine after the company announced delays to its EU operations."

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/eu-triggering-article-16-act-19732667

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, bannork said:

The DUP are not happy bunnies says Ian Paisley ( you'd think his dad could have given him a different first name).

https://www.irishnews.com/news/brexit/2021/01/11/news/uk-eu-trading-regime-an-unmitigated-disaster-for-northern-ireland-ian-paisley-says-2183874/

Ian Paisley , had a dad .??

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Apart from the Unification of Ireland, which has not even happened yet, what are the other benefits of Brexit? 

There is a zip file with all the benefits apparently.....555

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tebee said:

My point about the armed soldiers is that pre-GFA the border that divided the two half's of Ireland was a lot like that that divided the two half's   of Germany and the Berlin wall.

The GFA acknowledges the existence of the border, but also says it needs to be an invisible border with no checks were people can freely cross. If you think your going to reinstate a hard border there without bringing back those watchtowers and armed soldiers I would say you are very much mistaken.

I would also point out that half the citizens of the North don't want to be UK subjects and the North didn't vote to leave the EU. Both those things have been forced on it's citizens.

As for my bias my ancestors were Protestants(quakers) who were forced to leave County Cork after partition, so I'm not exactly biased in favor of it.   

The only border controls will be for goods, and set well back from the actual border line.It will only be only in the Republic untill the DUP discover wide spread fraud and then they will want one too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tebee said:

The GFA acknowledges the existence of the border, but also says it needs to be an invisible border with no checks were people can freely cross. If you think your going to reinstate a hard border there without bringing back those watchtowers and armed soldiers I would say you are very much mistaken.

You need to show some evidence where it states the border must be invisible. 

Infact the GFA is very sketchy, but it only says that the borders must be demiliterized, I have better information that I can lay my hands on tomorrow, but just to keep you interested here is another. 

"What does the Good Friday Agreement say about a hard border?

A lot less than you might think. The only place in which it alludes to infrastructure at the border is in the section on security.

During the Troubles there were heavily fortified army barracks, police stations and watchtowers along the border. They were frequently attacked by Republican paramilitaries.

Part of the peace deal involved the UK government agreeing to a process of removing those installations in what became known as "demilitarisation"."

The agreement states that "the development of a peaceful environment... can and should mean a normalisation of security arrangements and practices."

The government committed to "as early a return as possible to normal security arrangements in Northern Ireland, consistent with the level of threat".

That included "the removal of security installations". That is as far as the text goes."

So it is obvious to anyone other than a fervent remainer that the present arrangement is of no use to man nor beast especially when the EU can use art16 to suit themselves as shown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

You need to show some evidence where it states the border must be invisible. 

Infact the GFA is very sketchy, but it only says that the borders must be demiliterized, I have better information that I can lay my hands on tomorrow, but just to keep you interested here is another. 

"What does the Good Friday Agreement say about a hard border?

A lot less than you might think. The only place in which it alludes to infrastructure at the border is in the section on security.

During the Troubles there were heavily fortified army barracks, police stations and watchtowers along the border. They were frequently attacked by Republican paramilitaries.

Part of the peace deal involved the UK government agreeing to a process of removing those installations in what became known as "demilitarisation"."

The agreement states that "the development of a peaceful environment... can and should mean a normalisation of security arrangements and practices."

The government committed to "as early a return as possible to normal security arrangements in Northern Ireland, consistent with the level of threat".

That included "the removal of security installations". That is as far as the text goes."

So it is obvious to anyone other than a fervent remainer that the present arrangement is of no use to man nor beast especially when the EU can use art16 to suit themselves as shown. 

If that was true, then the EU would not have 'triggered' Article 16 as part of stopping vaccines crossing the border...

• Thanks 1

Reported post , responses to it, removed.

Incorrect format and responses to it, removed.

If you are going to cut n paste from other places make sure its in the correct size/format when posted here or it will be removed.

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

You're both wrong. It was Boris.

As I say above: 16 days before the EU's announcement, Boris himself said in Parliament on the 13th January that he would have "no hesitation" in triggering Article 16 of the Northern Ireland protocol if 'disproportionate' problems arise as a result of the legislation. (Source)

And then it shall be cheered as a welcome action by all those who now attacking UvdL ..... just wait and see :thumbsup:....but only allowed if it is a Boris action ...:whistling:

• Like 1