UK asks EU for Brexit grace period extension to 2023, BBC reports

snoop1130

EU poised to reject two-year extension to Northern Ireland grace period (telegraph.co.uk)

EU poised to reject two-year extension to Northern Ireland grace period

EU figures accuse UK of exploiting backlash against the bloc over aborted move to erect hard vaccine border with Ireland

By Harry Yorke, WHITEHALL EDITOR and James Crisp,
 BRUSSELS CORRESPONDENT
8 February 2021 • 8:00pmtension-northern/

Brussels appears poised to reject the UK's calls for a two-year extension of the grace periods for post-Brexit trade in Northern Ireland.

Multiple Whitehall and EU sources have told The Telegraph that the European Commission is likely to agree to only a three to six-month extension of the arrangements in place for traders moving goods between Britain and the province.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

EU for Brexit grace period extension to 2023 has it been given yet.?

Or is this just another handbag at 3 paces fight thread. ????

The EU probably replied that UK must ask it's representative in London! ????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I said that the President of the EU commission and the Head of the UK Civil Service were equivalent positions. Equivalent, not identical!

You challenged this by saying

If the head of the EU's bureaucracy has a higher profile than the head of the UK's bureaucracy, what is the reason if it is not because the EU has a higher profile than the UK?

The President of the USA is a head of state, as is the President of Nauru. In that respect they are equivalent and both accorded the respect and honour due a head of state by other nations and international organisations. But as the POTUS has the higher profile they are hardly identical in significance on the world stage!

I suggest that you look up the difference between 'equivalent' and 'identical' when used as adjectives as you obviously think they mean the same; they don't.

Ok, so the EU is also higher profile than the USA then, because UvdL has a higher profile than Evan Ryan. Righto ????‍♂️

You need to get yourself a hobby.  

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, david555 said:

Of course all coming from brexiteers is always holy ...including Boris treathning tearing up A16...repeatatly.....

Justifiable reasons as laid down in the article 16, regarding unassailable obstacles to trade between UK's internal Nations. 

On 2/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, david555 said:

For me all can aswell become terminated as Boris managed  U.K shall continue to try get all as same as a member whitout being a paid member with no obligations ...keep dreaming ...????

Where did I state that? You keep harping on about it though - your favourite mantra. ????

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 12:34 PM, welovesundaysatspace said:

The intention was to prevent companies from not honoring their contractual obligations, in order to ensure necessary vaccines needed for the European people.

This is quite simply false! It was a knee jerk reaction to discovering that she was at the back of the queue for the supplies, since she couldn't get her act together to organise the necessary and timely contracts, in an attempt to cover up her failings.

If you think that food shipments into NI is a valid reason for invoking Article 16

It is, as stated in article 16....

then the EU would have much more valid reason to do so.

How so, and on what grounds?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tofer said:

This is quite simply false! It was a knee jerk reaction to discovering that she was at the back of the queue for the supplies, since she couldn't get her act together to organise the necessary and timely contracts, in an attempt to cover up her failings.

It is, as stated in article 16....

How so, and on what grounds?

There is plenty of food in the Common Market, no need for Article 16 -- just start sourcing food from new suppliers.

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have 3 kids and an extended family in the UK, none of them are reporting any shortage's at all. Sounds very like anti Brexit BS to me. 

It was in response to supposed food issues in NI not UK mainland... though I have heard that there are shortages of some things that could not be stocked up ahead of time... and people in the UK should just eat more fish anyway ????

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Ok, so the EU is also higher profile than the USA then, because UvdL has a higher profile than Evan Ryan. Righto ????‍♂️

You need to get yourself a hobby.  

Yet again, you've refused to answer the question.

Yet again you made a ridiculous remark which came back to bite you and are now making an even bigger fool of yourself in trying to justify

Will you never learn?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have 3 kids and an extended family in the UK, none of them are reporting any shortage's at all. Sounds very like anti Brexit BS to me. 

Are they in Northern Ireland; which this topic is about?

NI hospitals and schools facing food shortages in ‘major crisis’ – minister

Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots said the region was facing a ‘major crisis’ over supply chains.

Depleted supermarket shelves (David Young/PA)

Depleted supermarket shelves (David Young/PA)

N Ireland food shortages set to worsen, say UK supermarket heads

Further supply disruption expected from new border regime after Brexit grace period ends

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well the EU has just apologize for one of their hypocritical mistakes and it won't be the last,  they are out to punish UK in anyway they can behind the scenes and it is showing. 

She made a mistake, faced reality, acknowledged the mistake and apologized. That's a sound 'learning by experience' process.

What happens on the Brexiteers' side? Denial of reality and, as predicted, blame the EU.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well the EU has just apologize for one of their hypocritical mistakes and it won't be the last,  they are out to punish UK in anyway they can behind the scenes and it is showing. 

So according to you,  the EU proposing to use Article 16 and then retracting it is hypocritical.

How about Johnson twice saying he'd do the same; once before the EU's proposal and again afterwards?

6 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So according to you,  the EU proposing to use Article 16 and then retracting it is hypocritical.

How about Johnson twice saying he'd do the same; once before the EU's proposal and again afterwards?

He is in a bit of a pickle now........ as he is itching to use article 16 to 'save' NI and get Arlene off his back (not a nice thought)........I wonder if that is why he was so grown up and diplomatic when UvL cocked up???

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

They, the people of NI, were not exactly given a choice about this.

The current messy solution was forced on them by the UK government, without them having any input on the matter.

Indeed.

But Brexit and this whole mess has done wonders for the Republican cause. Which is why the Unionists like Foster and Paisley are so worried. They know that if things continue as they are then it wont be long before the calls for a unification referendum under the Belfast Agreement become irresistible and that Brexit and these problems coupled to the fact that Northern Ireland voted to Remain in 2016 mean the Republicans will almost certainly win.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Have a read of the following from the House of Commons library: Northern Ireland Protocol: Article 16 and EU vaccine export controls for what the UK government has to say on the matter. Nowhere near as rabidly anti EU as yours! It also says the whole thing was a proposal by the EU.

A proposal which was, rightly in my opinion, withdrawn.

Has Johnson withdrawn his threats yet? No.

But as we all know, to a fanatical Brexiteer facts are nowhere near as valid as propaganda!

It matters not one jot what it says in the House of Commons Library, all good governments will always play down such enormous errors, I believe it is called 'diplomacy'. And this is not what we are hearing from other outlets such as the remainer Sky News, they triggered it all right, or else how could they have retracted it.

If it wasn't for the intervention of Boris Johnson with his tete a tete with UvdL, who knows what this could have escalated into, it doesn't bare thinking about, so stop you condemnation of this leader who quickly recovered the situation and give credit where credit is due.

"What is Article 16 and why did the EU make a U-turn after triggering it?"

https://news.sky.com/story/what-is-article-16-and-why-did-the-eu-make-a-u-turn-after-triggering-it-12202915

"Nowhere near as rabidly anti EU as yours!"

Rather harsh words from a man who normally treats other posters with the utmost respect.????

And just for the record I am not "rabidly anti EU" it's just the more I see of what is coming out of Brussels the less fond I become of them. And it could be argued that you are extremely protective of them, to the point were you feel it is necessary to defend them continuously.

Where have I ever said that I have any faith in him; let alone complete faith? I haven't; because I don't.

Where have I ever said that I have any trust in him at all? I haven't; because I don't.

Johnson one of our all time greatest PMs in peace time Britain? Wow, you have really got it bad!

Well that was the point I was making you should have more faith in a man that has done what the citizens asked of him and more.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Boris can say whatever he likes about EU as far as I'm concerned.

People like you think you know it all so why don't you get to do the job his doing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tofer said:

Justifiable reasons as laid down in the article 16, regarding unassailable obstacles to trade between UK's internal Nations. 

Where did I state that? You keep harping on about it though - your favourite mantra. ????

The Brexit mantra " out means out " is byting you very hard now ....????