UK asks EU for Brexit grace period extension to 2023, BBC reports

snoop1130

17 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Where does the contract stipulate that the EU shall be “at the back of the queue for the supplies”?  

It doesn't, but it does state that the UK, who ordered in advance, will be supplied first, hence UvdL's reaction.

Stop trying to twist the obvious, well, obvious to some people....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannork said:

A united Ireland is the only answer. For the Protestants who fear being a minority, safeguards must be provided in the constitution. We, the UK created this problem by invading Ireland and moving in  Scottish settlers etc. 

Spitballing here: They could also place Scotland on the other side of that line for now in sort of a temporary union (i.e. a confederation of sorts) with Ireland as part of an intermediate step of Scotland's independence from the UK and rejoining the EU.  (i.e. it would maybe make it a little more even in the Protestant vs Catholic during the transition period, it would allow for Scotland to be in the EU customs union as they voted)

27 minutes ago, Tofer said:

It doesn't, but it does state that the UK, who ordered in advance, will be supplied first, hence UvdL's reaction.

I very much doubt that the contract says that. Would you share the respective clauses here please? 

The contract I am aware of says AstraZeneca will manufacture the vaccine at manufacturing sites located within the EU and also stipulates that this includes plants based in the U.K., more specifically two out of four manufacturing sites mentioned in the contract are in the U.K. So maybe you should direct your anger at AstraZeneca instead. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I very much doubt that the contract says that. Would you share the respective clauses here please? 

The contract I am aware of says AstraZeneca will manufacture the vaccine at manufacturing sites located within the EU and also stipulates that this includes plants based in the U.K., more specifically two out of four manufacturing sites mentioned in the contract are in the U.K. So maybe you should direct your anger at AstraZeneca instead. 

I agree, if the EU thinks they violated the contract or violated the intent and ethics of it... then they should either sue them or suspend their license to distribute any pharmaceuticals (though that would maybe be overkill since it is a "UK-Swedish" company)...  So the most appropriate remedy would likely be suing them for any damages caused by the delay to the economy and people of the EU...  and let a court decide. 

54 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

So what are your ramblings intended to prove? It's totally irrelevant where they choose to set up and manufacture the vaccine. 

The issue debated is the priority of delivery, and unfortunately the EU did not get their act together in time , so the UK's early orders took priority.

There's no anger from me, it's the EU who appear angry at being left behind in the vaccination process, hence their vindictive invoking of A16, trying to override the vaccine companies legitimate contractual obligations. I believe also a lot of EU citizens are not too happy with the state of affairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I agree, if the EU thinks they violated the contract or violated the intent and ethics of it... then they should either sue them or suspend their license to distribute any pharmaceuticals (though that would maybe be overkill since it is a "UK-Swedish" company)...  So the most appropriate remedy would likely be suing them for any damages caused by the delay to the economy and people of the EU...  and let a court decide. 

I totally agree - so why didn't they???

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

While I think the Article 16 move was bad, suing isn’t necessarily the only appropriate response to someone not honoring a contract. You can definitely demand that your contract partner undertakes everything he can to fulfill his obligations, and this may include taking the capacity from other customers. At the end of the day it’s really up to the contract partner and his problem alone how he manages to fulfill his contractual obligations, and not something that you as a buyer would have to care about. So this really doesn’t have anything to do with the UK but is purely between the EU and AstraZeneca. So I am surprised that some Brexiteers take this personally and get so offended. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tofer said:

It's totally irrelevant where they choose to set up and manufacture the vaccine. 

It may become relevant when their contractual obligation is to supply you product X by date Y from those manufacturing sites. 

The issue debated is the priority of delivery, and unfortunately the EU did not get their act together in time , so the UK's early orders took priority.

That’s your claim that you keep making without providing any evidence. Again, where did the EU contractually agree that the UK shall be supplied before the EU? 

There's no anger from me,

You certainly seem agitated. 

it's the EU who appear angry at being left behind in the vaccination process, hence their vindictive invoking of A16, trying to override the vaccine companies legitimate contractual obligations. I believe also a lot of EU citizens are not too happy with the state of affairs.

The EU is taking actions against a contract partner not fulfilling their contractual obligations. That’s what people do when this happens. Has nothing to do with anger, though it certainly is annoying. 

I totally agree - so why didn't they???

Common practice to take other measures first before suing. Maybe you didn’t enter many agreements in your life or you were lucky that you never had to deal with a contractual partner not fulfilling their obligations to you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannork said:

A united Ireland is the only answer. For the Protestants who fear being a minority, safeguards must be provided in the constitution. We, the UK created this problem by invading Ireland and moving in  Scottish settlers etc. 

A little odd that a supporter of Scottish Independence suggets imposing a Union of Eire and NI, quite possibly against the wishes of a majority of either Country.

PH

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

give me a break.  They voted like the rest of us.  They are nothing special, they just keep getting treated as such and its balls achingly boring after all these years and all those deaths, many of them innocent lives. . 

Give the people of NI a break too! They had stability and peace through the GFA.

They voted against Brexit because they knew it threatened that stability, but were dragged out with the rest against their will.

Brexit and the GFA are fundamental incompatible, the only simple solution is a united Ireland.

If you don't care if there is war there again and they stand a chance of dying then why should they care about the unity of the UK?

Edited by tebee
Punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

A little odd that a supporter of Scottish Independence suggets imposing a Union of Eire and NI, quite possibly against the wishes of a majority of either Country.

PH

Not so odd   .... as that could give the " backdoor entrance opportunity"  to Scotland ,to use such a union , because  already membership to E.U. from R.O.I. ????

36 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

PH

Pre-Brexit that might have been true, but polls now show there is a majority for unification.

Afraid were going to need another reforendum as provided for by the GFA.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tebee said:

Pre-Brexit that might have been true, but polls now show there is a majority for unification.

Afraid we're going to need another reforendum as provided for by the GFA.

3 minutes ago, tebee said:
43 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

PH

Afraid were going to need another reforendum as provided for by the GFA.

If there is a groundswell of support for such, then that is what should happen.  But that was not what the OP said and to which I responded.  For advocates of self determination for their own country to suggest anything other than the same for others is not good.

For re-unification of the island of Ireland would, IMV, need overwhelming support especially in the six counties of Northern Ireland. 

PH

Just now, tebee said:

GFA only insists on a simple majority.

Then just as Brexit has shown that a slender majority merely leads to division, the sema would happen in that case.  Only much, much worse.

For such fundamental changes to the status quo, a far larger hurdle should be required to be met

PH

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tebee said:

So you think Ireland should join you in your act of suicidal madness?

One thing this debacle has shown them is the strength they have being part of a Union of 27.

This is the first time they have been able to take the UK on as equals.

So you think Ireland should join you in your act of suicidal madness?

the more the merrier

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Give the people of NI a break too! They had stability and peace through the GFA.

They voted against Brexit because they knew it threatened that stability, but were dragged out with the rest against their will.

Brexit and the GFA are fundamental incompatible, the only simple solution is a united Ireland.

If you don't care if there is war there again and they stand a chance of dying then why should they care about the unity of the UK?

so much wrong about your comments. Their collective religious bigotry caused the instability, not one thing else. Why do they deserve a break exactly? They are no more than a small troubled part of Ireland that lives in the past struggles of the 1920s, yes of course they should be united with the rest of the Ireland and the sooner the better. They have held the rest of the UK to ransom for far too long. As for the 'troubles', as it was euphemistically termed, if it did  kick off again, then they deserve to be left to stew in their own idiocy. To paraphrase a famous saying ' NI is not worth the life of one Grenadier'. It never was. 

• Thanks 1