Any advantage for VISA/immigration rules in having an dual citizenship with Irish passport?

My brother and two of my sisters have gone through the process of obtaining an Irish passport, we are all US citizens.  These are all done in the Irish program allowing individuals whose parents or grandparents were Irish citizens.

Is there any advantage with respect to Thai immigration and visa requirements to having this dual passport/dual citizenship ?

I guess the question is really is having an Irish passport an advantage over having a US passport in Thai immigration and visa system?

As far as I know this is not really Irish citizenship, but you are given (for about $1000 US) an Irish passport.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only advantage is that if you want to prove your income for a extension of stay application is that the Irish embassy still issues proof of income.

Understand, so it sounds like no value for me to do it. As none of my income is from Ireland.

Thanks ubonjoe.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:59 AM, cdemundo said:

As far as I know this is not really Irish citizenship, but you are given (for about $1000 US) an Irish passport.

What do you mean? It seems that you are eligible for legit Irish citizenship:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html#lb90a4

If I could get an Irish passport, I certainly wouldn't mind it.

In regards to Thai Immigration, you might have better chances of getting a visa if you've had overstay or denial stamps in your US passport (unless you've replaced it already). Also, either passport might become more valuable depending on how current COVID outbreak develops. Until recently, US citizens couldn't apply for a tourist visa.

If you get an 20-year Elite visa, then one advantage might be getting to pick between which passport you're most likely going to be able to renew in 10 years time.

This is assuming they won't let you change passports halfway through.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:08 PM, cdemundo said:

Understand, so it sounds like no value for me to do it. As none of my income is from Ireland.

Thanks ubonjoe.

Don't be so sure. Some of the banks here will not open a bank account for those on a US passport because of the mandatory reporting they have to do back to the US Internal Revenue Service.  At least if you try to open a bank account with an Irish passport you're less likely to have a bank say cannot do. Just something to think about.

9 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Don't be so sure. Some of the banks here will not open a bank account for those on a US passport because of the mandatory reporting they have to do back to the US Internal Revenue Service.  At least if you try to open a bank account with an Irish passport you're less likely to have a bank say cannot do. Just something to think about.

Does the bank check to see if the passport has a valid visa?

IOW, if you enter on a U.S. passport, do you get to open the bank account using the Irish passport?

23 minutes ago, Chang2 said:

IOW, if you enter on a U.S. passport, do you get to open the bank account using the Irish passport?

Best approach may be use the Irish one to apply for a visa* & enter, and don't mention the US one to the bank unless specifically asked.

IDK about Thailand, but banks in China not only check your visa, but also cut off services on the expiration date, until you show them it's been renewed! 

*That should be ok as long as you have a passport or PR in the place you apply.

20 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

You'd still need to disclose if you're US person though. If they find out later, this can cause troubles.

Of course there is an advantage in having more than one passport. The SHTF you have someplace to go and they are guaranteeing you that you won't be turned away. And believe me the Poop is bound to hit the fan sooner rather than later the way countries are printing money out of thin air.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, TigerandDog said:

Which banks? I read this claim on Thaivisa quite often, but I don't recall every seeing any firsthand experience or specifics. Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, and Krungsri Bank will definitely all open bank accounts for US citizens.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:59 PM, cdemundo said:

My brother and two of my sisters have gone through the process of obtaining an Irish passport, we are all US citizens.  These are all done in the Irish program allowing individuals whose parents or grandparents were Irish citizens.

Is there any advantage with respect to Thai immigration and visa requirements to having this dual passport/dual citizenship ?

I guess the question is really is having an Irish passport an advantage over having a US passport in Thai immigration and visa system?

Thanks.

"As far as I know this is not really Irish citizenship"

If you have an Irish Passport, you are an Irish Citizen.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:08 AM, cdemundo said:

Thanks ubonjoe.

Not sure the origin of your income matters. As for me at french embassy, I declare my income but the origin of this income is not mentioned nor asked

15 hours ago, tyler28 said:

Which banks? I read this claim on Thaivisa quite often, but I don't recall every seeing any firsthand experience or specifics. Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, and Krungsri Bank will definitely all open bank accounts for US citizens.

TMB is one that I know of first hand. As for the ones you mentioned it all depends on which branch you go to.

23 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

TMB is one that I know of first hand. As for the ones you mentioned it all depends on which branch you go to.

I have heard TMB will not open accounts for any foreigners. Are you sure this problem is specific to US citizens?

As for the others, it does not depend on which branch you go to. If you meet the requirements for opening an account, then you can open an account. I opened an account at Krungsri a few weeks ago with a US passport and a work permit. I was given an IRS W-9 to complete along with the bank's own paperwork, but no one expressed a word of concern about my citizenship. Same experience in recent years Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn.

This just does not seem to be an issue with major banks in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, tyler28 said:

I have heard TMB will not open accounts for any foreigners. Are you sure this problem is specific to US citizens?

I'm a foreigner and I have 2x TMB accounts.

1.5% interest on my savings account, no ATM fees (from any machine) on my current account.

If they don't do accounts for foreigners, why do they have an English version of their website?

2 hours ago, tyler28 said:

As for the others, it does not depend on which branch you go to. If you meet the requirements for opening an account, then you can open an account.

It does, at least if you don't have a work permit or Thai ID card. Maya (Chiang Mai) branch of Krungsri refused me, but Central Airport happily opened an account with just passport.

Also, I've heard people are having trouble opening UOB accounts in Bangkok, though it's very straightforward in Chiang Mai.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

1.5% interest on my savings account, no ATM fees (from any machine) on my current account.

If they don't do accounts for foreigners, why do they have an English version of their website?

I've tried to open an account with TMB, but they said I need a work permit. All the writing inside the office was in Thai, though the manager spoke decent English. And their website is still not fully translated 555

Did you apply with Non-O visa?

58 minutes ago, redpill17 said:

yes.

And they said in the branch, 'we don't give accounts to foreigners'

Then I asked why their website had an English version, they made a few phone calls and decided I could have an account.

If you read this page, conditions for opening an account are

https://www.tmbbank.com/en/accounts/transactional/savings.html

It doesn't say which government, so a home country passport or Thai D/L should be sufficient.

If they argue, point them to their own web page or ask them to phone head office.

Required documents for account opening 

For individuals

• A copy of national ID card or other ID card bearing your photo and issued by government authorities.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Then I guess my information was wrong? If so, I'll happily stand corrected.

9 hours ago, redpill17 said:

It does, at least if you don't have a work permit or Thai ID card. Maya (Chiang Mai) branch of Krungsri refused me, but Central Airport happily opened an account with just passport.

Also, I've heard people are having trouble opening UOB accounts in Bangkok, though it's very straightforward in Chiang Mai.

I've tried to open an account with TMB, but they said I need a work permit. All the writing inside the office was in Thai, though the manager spoke decent English. And their website is still not fully translated 555

Sure, I didn't mean to suggest that individual branches have no discretion, only that it's very likely that they have any discretion in declining to open accounts based on citizenship.

To repeat what I said earlier in the thread, I have encountered zero resistance when opening accounts at Kasikorn, Krungsri, and Bangkok Bank with a US passport and a valid work permit. No remarks about my citizenship whatsoever.

Someone above is claiming TMB will refuse Americans based on their citizenship. I cannot refute that claim, but I've never met a foreigner with an account at TMB anyway.

If US passport-holders stick to the major banks, they may well encounter some obstacles, but it won't be because of their citizenship.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:43 PM, tyler28 said:

I have a Bangkok bank account. My Social Security check gets deposited in my account at the Bangkok branch in New York City and is available to me anywhere in Thailand. However I am not thrilled with Bangkok bank. Last year I got my covid stimulous check from the US government in my Thai mail. I tried to deposit it into my Bangkok bank account. NOOOOOOO

They wouldn't do it. I had to send it back through federal express at a cost of $40 to my credit union account in the States. 

21 hours ago, Kurtf said:

I have a Bangkok bank account. My Social Security check gets deposited in my account at the Bangkok branch in New York City and is available to me anywhere in Thailand. However I am not thrilled with Bangkok bank. Last year I got my covid stimulous check from the US government in my Thai mail. I tried to deposit it into my Bangkok bank account. NOOOOOOO

They wouldn't do it. I had to send it back through federal express at a cost of $40 to my credit union account in the States. 

I took mine to Bangkok Bank at Emporium. They sent me to their exchange counter, which told me they could handle the check, but it would take about a month, and I'd have to pay some pretty significant fee.

I then took the check to Kasikorn Bank at Central Embassy, and they told me they wanted nothing to do with it.

So I too ended up sending it to the US, to have a family member deposit into my Bank of America account.

Archived