Cat Quarantine

I am planning to relocate to Thailand later this year. In searching this site I found the below, but it's more than a year old and the contact email address at the bottom does not work. Anyone have any updated info? I have a house cat which I've had for 6 years and he's never been outside. His shots are always kept up to date. He will be riding on the plane with me rather than in the baggage compartment, I've already cleared this with the airline.

Thanks

Brian

REQUIREMENTS FOR THE IMPORTATION OF DOGS AND CATS INTO THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND

1) A health certificate in English, signed or further endorsed by a full-time authorized veterinary official of the government of the exporting country, if it is previously acknowledged by a veterinary surgeon, stating :-

1.1) number and species ,

1.2) breed, sex, age and color or animal identification,

1.3) name and address of the owner OR the kennel of origin,

1.4) certification of condition items (2) to (5).

2) The animals must come from an area where animal diseases are under control. They are found to be healthy, free from signs of any infectious and contagious diseases including ectoparasitism at the time of export and fit to travel.

3) The country has been free from Rabies for at least the past 12 (twelve) months OR the animals are vaccinated against Rabies with an official approved vaccine not less than 21 (twenty- one) days prior to the departure.

4) EITHER a ) The dog is vaccinated against Leptospirosis at least 21(twenty-one) days preceding departure.

OR b ) The dog is subjected to a test for Leptospirosis with negative result during the 30 (thirty) days prior to the departure.

5) The animals shall be vaccinated against other significant infectious or contagious diseases i.e. Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus, with an official approved vaccine at least 21 (twenty-one) days prior to the departure.

6) The animals must be conveyed in nose-and-paw proof crates designed to avoid any risk of injury or unnecessary suffering.

7) The animals are not allowed to expose to other animals if they have to be landed in transit at any approved intermediate port. They shall not be allowed to leave precinct of the port except to an officially approved transit quarantine area.

8) The animals are subjected to quarantine at approved premises for a period of at least 30 (thirty) days upon arrival during which they shall be submitted to tests and/or treatments deemed necessary. The importer/owner shall be fully charged for the incurred expenses.

9) Failure to follow the import procedures may result in returning the animals to the country of origin or destroying without compensation.

Contact detail : Bureau of Disease Control and Veterinary Services. Department of Livestock

Development Phayathai road, Ratchtavee 10400 Tel. (02) 653-4550 - 7 ext . 4175 Fax. (02) 653-4929

E-mail : [email protected]

I am planning to relocate to Thailand later this year. In searching this site I found the below, but it's more than a year old and the contact email address at the bottom does not work. Anyone have any updated info? I have a house cat which I've had for 6 years and he's never been outside. His shots are always kept up to date. He will be riding on the plane with me rather than in the baggage compartment, I've already cleared this with the airline.

Thanks

Brian

1) A health certificate in English, signed or further endorsed by a full-time authorized veterinary official of the government of the exporting country, if it is previously acknowledged by a veterinary surgeon, stating :-

2) The animals must come from an area where animal diseases are under control. They are found to be healthy, free from signs of any infectious and contagious diseases including ectoparasitism at the time of export and fit to travel.

3) The country has been free from Rabies for at least the past 12 (twelve) months OR the animals are vaccinated against Rabies with an official approved vaccine not less than 21 (twenty- one) days prior to the departure.

4) EITHER a ) The dog is vaccinated against Leptospirosis at least 21(twenty-one) days preceding departure.

OR b ) The dog is subjected to a test for Leptospirosis with negative result during the 30 (thirty) days prior to the departure.

5) The animals shall be vaccinated against other significant infectious or contagious diseases i.e. Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus, with an official approved vaccine at least 21 (twenty-one) days prior to the departure.

6) The animals must be conveyed in nose-and-paw proof crates designed to avoid any risk of injury or unnecessary suffering.

7) The animals are not allowed to expose to other animals if they have to be landed in transit at any approved intermediate port. They shall not be allowed to leave precinct of the port except to an officially approved transit quarantine area.

8) The animals are subjected to quarantine at approved premises for a period of at least 30 (thirty) days upon arrival during which they shall be submitted to tests and/or treatments deemed necessary. The importer/owner shall be fully charged for the incurred expenses.

9) Failure to follow the import procedures may result in returning the animals to the country of origin or destroying without compensation.

Contact detail : Bureau of Disease Control and Veterinary Services. Department of Livestock

Development Phayathai road, Ratchtavee 10400 Tel. (02) 653-4550 - 7 ext . 4175 Fax. (02) 653-4929

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

I don't know where you are flying from with the cat, but my wife and I recently (3 months ago) imported our two English cats from the UK.

The procedure is pretty straight forward, with the cats needing only there 'normal jabs' which you say the cat has already plus a 'rabies jab' which must be given 21 days prior to the animal flying into the Kingdom.

If you are coming from the UK you will need to get a 'DEFRA' certificate from your vet and this must be completed by the vet not more than 2 days before the animal is due to fly. YOU have to apply to the local DEFRA dept for the certificate to be sent to the vet. I found DEFRA to be very helpful and the whole process was very simple. I think the cost of the vet issuing this certificate was about 25 pounds.

We flew the cats out with us, but from the UK you are NOT allowed to have them in the cabin irrespective of what you might have been told. Again if you are flying from the UK the best advice I can offer is to book the cats in as 'excess baggage' along with your normal luggage and providing the cat is in an IATA approved container, which we bought for about 22 pounds they will be accepted ( ours like royalty by Ethiad Air).

Our cats had two take-offs and landings and came out at Bangkok airport at the point where large parcels and other goods are collected. You just wheel them round to the airport Vet's office some 40 yards away and he will give the cat the once over and get you to fill in some forms and hand over 300 Baht for each cat as the import licence cost. The cat will NOT have to go into quarantine as they will allow what they call 'house quarantine for 7 days'.

All very simple and straight forward - don't get drawn into using a 'Pet export company' you can do it all yourself with no problems and save a lot of money in the process.

Just one other point - we paid some 560 pounds for our two cats to fly; as every airline that we contacted would NOT allow you to use any 'unused luggage allowance' towards the cost of the cats.

If I can be any more help please just ask.

Thanks

Brian

Imported my cat to Thailand last year. Very straightforward. Normal vaccination certs required plus microchipping and rabies vaccination. Also need vet certificate from your country's relevant government dept. No quarantine needed. Cat travelled as 'excess baggage' in airline approved carry box, checked in with normal luggage and is placed in a special compartment in hold.(check with airline as not all planes have this) Just had to pay the excess baggage charge per kilo above flight allowance. No problems this end with customs check.

Hope this helps. Did not use a pet relocation company as very expensive quote and all information available from my cat's regular vet.