Metal Slow Cooker without Grounded Plug - Safe to use?

farangbuffalo

I just bought a slow cooker from Lazada which only has a 2-pin plug despite having an almost all metal casing which seems a bit unsafe to me, although I don't really know much about this stuff.

But it also contained a paper insert in the box which appears to be something to do with grounding though it's all in Thai so I'm not sure. Seems pretty crazy to provide an ungrounded plug then you have to connect a wire to ground it yourself!?

Could anyone take a look at the image below and let me know what it says and if it's safe to use? 

Unfortunately, it was supplied from a 3rd party vendor so I can't return it because it's been opened ????

IMG_20210205_112712.jpg

IMG_20210205_112734.jpg

• Haha 1

You should have bought one with a 3 pin plug, assuming you have earthed wall outlets.

I would guess your purchase is old stock that has to be got rid of...

Banging a nail in the floor just doesn't cut it regarding your safety......????

• Like 2

It's awfully common here.

It should have a screw marked as ground (bottom row of pictures), connect that to the 3rd pin of a grounded plug.

If it's non-returnable replace the 2-pin with a 3-pin and connect the ground screw to the ground pin with a length of wire.

You may be able to replace the entire cord with a 3 core one for a neat job.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, transam said:

You should have bought one with a 3 pin plug, assuming you have earthed wall outlets.

I would guess your purchase is old stock that has to be got rid of...

Banging a nail in the floor just doesn't cut it regarding your safety......????

If I had realised it didn't have a grounded plug I would not have bought it. It didn't specify on the listing. This one replaced another I bought from Tesco which did have a grounded plug but unfortunately I dropped the bowl and it smashed 

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This is not true. You have right to return it within 7 days, even if the box has been opened. You can claim it to be unsuitable or not safe to use.

Ok thanks. The return policy did say can only return if unopened but I'll give it a try on this basis

• Like 1

Check your electrical outlet box. If it is a metal and/or has a green screw, check to see if it is grounded. Can check with a voltage tester. Touch one slot with one tester lead and put the other lead on the metal box of screw. If it shows a voltage reading, it is a grounded system. If not, get an electrician to install a ground system for all your electrical system.

Once you are sure it is grounded, find a screw on your rice cooker and install a ground wire from it to the electrically grounded box.

Note: A good new electrical appliance is normally double insulated and would be no problem. However, since they actually included a card on how to ground the unit, make sure you do. Also check all other electrical appliances including stoves to ensure properly grounded.

• Like 1