Snake Identification

phutoie2

Hello, this may be a perrenial topic but here goes: Now the rainy season seems to be upon us, its rained here every day for over 2 weeks now in south Petchabun.

The garden and concrete back yard attract a lot of frogs, which of course brings in the usual predators too. My wife was hand washing the clothes out back when I heard a very high pitched scream. On investigation, a 1 metre long all brown snake had crept up and parked itself a few feet from her washing bowls.

This reptile to me seemed pretty harmless and may have come in looking for a tasty frog, but the wife informed me that it was venomous and duly despatched it with a blow from a garden rake.

My question is what type of snake was this? and was it dangerous? as my wife claims. There were two others(same type, all brown/1m long) discovered in our Soi and both met the same fate at Thai hands.

Is there a safe way of removing such creatures ?, I usually move unwanted guests on (animals! that is, not my wife's relatives!) with a bucket or spade and dump them ouside the property on some waste ground.

All sensible advice preferred please!!

Here we go again. (CB :o )

Most nationals will tell you that every snake they see is venomous. This is not true. In fact 80% of them are not and do more good than harm.

But even the dangerous ones will try to get out of your way (you are much bigger than them) they only attack if you surprise them (i.e. you don't know it is there and you walk too close to its nest)

Best advice for any snake, walk away, it will leave once it has accomplished what it set out to do.

This is a good subject, it would be interesting to know what and how.

It's not always possible to leave them to it, I had a 2 foot long green one in my bedroom a few weeks ago, only about as thick as your finger and very lively, I managed to throw a towel over it and then sweep it out of the door.

I would not have slept well leaving it to do what it had come to do! However I do not like killing such magnificent creatures.

i have found snakes in my house twice in 2 weeks and 3 times just outside the house in the past month. this is an interesting topic for me, would love to hear answers as well.

Thanks for the replies, I thought this may have been a much discussed topic in the past, I only bought a computer for the house in March so this forum is all new to me.

I generally do not like killing creatures too and much prefer to move them on, broom and bucket seems to work,, if found in the house a towel is good advice too, though I would be concerned as to how they get in.

During a long career in the British army (engineers) working mainly on construction sites, I used to encounter the occaisonal snakes, so they never really concerned me too much. The soldiers or local labourers used to chase them away with sticks in the morning before work started.

We always received good training on how to deal with the local wildlife before leaving UK. Most snakes will move on quickly when humans approach, but not all, Vipers in Cyprus, Fer de Lances in Belize & Arizona rattlesnakes were stuborn so & so's I recall.

The troops were very much careful in removing damaged sandbags, a favorite place for snakes to settle into.

Perhaps in Thailand I will just leave such matters to the wife, after all she is the "big boss"

I can't say that I agree with your wife to kill it with a blow from a garden rake, most people consider all snake to be poisionus (not true) as most of us know. May I suggest if you can capture it using a big bucket or what ever you can use safely do so and take it as far away from your place as possible(a place where there is a nice supply of food,(ie rats, frogs etc)). However if it a really big snake and you dumbfounded with fear as most would be have the wife or a Thai friend to call 191 or the local pest control in your area. If you are a fluent Thai speak call your self give directions to you place. :o:D

Generally,

the snake will leave you alone..or move away.. If you provoke it.. then it is a difficult situation..

The most colorful are the most dangerous. Use common sense..

If you see a cobra with its head flatten, then don't go waking about its face.

Best wishes.