Phuket vs Hua Hin

USNret

I've been in Thailand since January 2020; non-O extension for marriage with Thai wife & 5-year-old daughter.  We've been in Hua Hin since March and became "accidental residents" as this is where we settled in when COVID came.  Thinking now about resettling to Phuket.  Wondering if people can offer comparisons.  

For perspective... we would like a decent international school for our daughter; choices are slim here.  Air is horrible here from the smoke. We hope to rent a pool villa... 2-3 bedroom home with private pool.  What sort of comparative lifestyle can we expect there?  

Thanks

Edited by USNret
corrected the date

so u have lived here 10 or 12 years?? 

.... Phuket where I have lived for ten years. ....Well I’ve been living here for 12 years and being in real estate am involved in selling/renting expats their homes. 

who cares if ur involved in real estate?
 Never said there wasn't a price difference, but you said MOST live in Chalong or Kathu which is simply not true.

To each their own

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/6/2021 at 12:17 PM, USNret said:

I've been in Thailand since January 2020; non-O extension for marriage with Thai wife & 5-year-old daughter.  We've been in Hua Hin since March and became "accidental residents" as this is where we settled in when COVID came.  Thinking now about resettling to Phuket.  Wondering if people can offer comparisons.  

For perspective... we would like a decent international school for our daughter; choices are slim here.  Air is horrible here from the smoke. We hope to rent a pool villa... 2-3 bedroom home with private pool.  What sort of comparative lifestyle can we expect there?  

Thanks

There are maybe more choices for schools in Phuket but except the schools I think bringing up a child in Hua Hin is more relaxed and safer (except the air) for both children and parents. That aside and IMO its depends on lifestyle and preferences. Hua Hin is dusty, cool to cold in periods of the year and always windy in my experience.  Phuket have some of the best air in Thailand and still bring out a bit of tropical feeling even if cement have taken over a lot of the island. Phuket is greener but also have more or less rain 6 months a year included periods with flooded areas which sometimes can make it difficult to commute and for outdoor activities. When it comes to rental I think great deals can be made at both places this time.

Felt

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 1:53 PM, USNret said:

How's the air there?  It is absolutely ghastly here in HH; choking smoke for weeks.  The normally-beautiful green hills nearby can barely be seen through the smoke. 

The AQI was between about 80 she 127 up until the last few days. Now Phuket is hovering in the 45-90 range. However, usually it's better than that, depending on where you are on the island.

The only plus about HH is BKK is close. Phuket is a pretty cool place overall, but a long way to anywhere in Thailand, but amazingly cheap flights to BKK. Just the clean beaches alone make Phuket the winner in my book. Plus the island offers lots of living choices and some good restaurants. You do need a car or big bike in my book. Time for you to move. Did you take a look at Jomtien?

I have places in both HH and Phuket. my personal experience is that Phuket is quite a bit more expensive than HH and the locals are mercenary as far as taking advantage of foreigners. If you have your own transport it’s fine, but when it comes to hiring a maid, gardener,driver, nanny etc or getting something fixed around the house the amount of drama you go through to get a good employee or a fair price is far more than you do in HH. I would agree the schools are far better in Phuket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unify said:

The AQI was between about 80 she 127 up until the last few days. Now Phuket is hovering in the 45-90 range. However, usually it's better than that, depending on where you are on the island.

Huh...better than most just couple hours ago Talat Yai, Mueang Air Quality Index (AQI) and Phuket Air Pollution | AirVisual (iqair.com)

Somewhat different in Hua Hin but 90 there is actually acceptable  Hua Hin International School Air Quality Index (AQI) and Hua Hin Air Pollution | AirVisual (iqair.com)

On 2/6/2021 at 1:53 PM, USNret said:

How's the air there?  It is absolutely ghastly here in HH; choking smoke for weeks.  The normally-beautiful green hills nearby can barely be seen through the smoke. 

I’m in Hua Hin, near Bor Fai..the air and hills near me are clear as a bell...

• Confused 1

On 2/6/2021 at 3:49 PM, zzzzz said:

as the 1st poster, been thru HH many times since 85 on the way from phuket to Bangkok until 2016 when stopped stopping there and headed up to Cha Am for the night instead,  Never saw any reason for more than 1 night in HH ; Its just a road thru a city>

Phuket offers, so much more

Very good international schools will set ya back $20-28,000/year depending on the age of ur child, a 2-3 bedroom pool villa 40-250,000 baht/month.

No way would i say most expats live in Chalong or kathu, they are all over the island

Plus great shopping, golf, sailing, diving, beaches, clubs, dinning, hospitals etc etc.

as its a island very few days/year is the air ever even close to poor quality

FYI:L been here since 85 and raised my daughter thru International schools ( 2001-20012)

Those International school prices apply to BIS and maybe UWC. Headstart, BCIS, Kajonkiet International are just over half these prices, Oak Meadow under half. And if your kids are youger there are many additional options at a range of prices.

Why someone hasn't opened a decent international school in Hua Hin I don't know.

17 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

85 right now at the municipal health center in Phuket Town, which is the meter I usually check.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:17 PM, USNret said:

We've been in Hua Hin since March and became "accidental residents" as this is where we settled in when COVID came.  

if you are not at least 65 years old and completely done I would not live in Hua Hin.

it is very boring as there are not many restaurants, like the small town that it is you see the same people everywhere you go, horrible shopping, terrible beach, filthy air (AQI yesterday was 182) and water and not much to do, maybe golf or volunteer to take care of a elephant. After 9pm it is hard to find  place to eat.   

the up side is immigration office will be better than Phuket, everything is it's cheaper, perhaps safer having a child not having the red light areas like Phuket and less police corruption. everything you need in concentrated in one area. Bangkok only 3.5 hours away by VIP bus.

have you actually tried to leave yet? 

dowhgnload.jpg

Edited by NCC1701A

20 hours ago, Harrywonka said:

2.When you find accommodation in Phuket, even though the air is usually far better than up north, buy some air purifiers. Even if only for the childs bedroom. Best investment you will ever make in your life. I use some now even though I am in the UK for a while.

could you recommend any particular model please?

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

if you are not at least 65 years old and completely done I would not live in Hua Hin.

it is very boring as there are not many restaurants, like the small town that it is you see the same people everywhere you go, horrible shopping, terrible beach, filthy air (AQI yesterday was 182) and water and not much to do, maybe golf or volunteer to take care of a elephant. After 9pm it is hard to find  place to eat.   

the up side is immigration office will be better than Phuket, everything is it's cheaper, perhaps safer having a child not having the red light areas like Phuket and less police corruption. everything you need in concentrated in one area. Bangkok only 3.5 hours away by VIP bus.

have you actually tried to leave yet? 

dowhgnload.jpg

Spot on???? The small experience I have had with Immigration and some other governments offices there make you feel in helpful hands which will be a rare experience down South IMO. Have to ???? of the age thing but correct. First time in Hua Hin I felt the home for elderly was around every corner. Another plus in Hua Hin, unless living in the middle of town, the traffic is much much less than in Phuket and that 24/7. 

Felt

Edited by Felt 35
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Those International school prices apply to BIS and maybe UWC. Headstart, BCIS, Kajonkiet International are just over half these prices, Oak Meadow under half. And if your kids are youger there are many additional options at a range of prices.

Why someone hasn't opened a decent international school in Hua Hin I don't know.

Hua HIn International School | (huahinschool.com) / Halio for International Students - ศูนย์การเรียนหัวหิน - Halio International School Hua Hin / The British Educational Children's Center | Bright Start for a Brighter Future (thebecc.com) / Beaconhouse Yamsaard School school in huahin โรงเรียนสองภาษา โรงเรียนภาษาอังกฤษ รังสิต ปทุมธานี ลาดพร้าว หัวหิน (bys.ac.th)

• Thanks 1

Phuket is far more attractive as many have posted.  I would cut off my testicles with jagged rocks to stay there.  It's worth everything.  Hope you enjoy your move.  Have no intel on schools as a vasectomy and divorce has made my life problem free. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

Is it possible to live a walkable lifestyle on Phuket besides in Kamala and Patong?

Where are some good places to live within walking distance of everything you need, but not feel like a mark for touts?

Phuket town, Kathu
just about everywhere else ur going to need a motorcycle or be wasting lots of baht on tuk tuks

Hands down its just kamala wins cause it is a village and lots of locals made it their home long before the farangs arrived.  Even before there were roads in and out  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1