When does the 90 days start for non-immigrant O-visa

I've been graciously told by some learned folks here that the 90 days O-visa doesn't start ticking off the days until after we arrive.

BUT...

The Royal Thai Embassy in Washington DC says the following;

"A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance. 
Do not apply for the visa too early. 
If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply. 
The fee is not refundable. "

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/23/faq-for-non-thais-wishing-to-enter-thailand-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

I'd like to confirm if there has been a change, or if the Embassy website is still valid please.

This adds yet another timeline ball to keep in the air if the 90 days starts at issuance.

(BTW I searched this question and got zero results)

A visas validity starts from the day it issued. For a single entry non-o visa that is 3 months and for multiple entry visa it is 12 months.

The 90 day permit to stay it allows does not start until the day you enter the country.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A visas validity starts from the day it issued. For a single entry non-o visa that is 3 months and for multiple entry visa it is 12 months.

The 90 day permit to stay it allows does not start until the day you enter the country.

Thanks yet again for clearing things up for me ubonjoe!

So get into Thailand within 3 months of issuance and then I can stay in for 3 months. I've never had a visa and thought if it expired I had to get out.

I didn't yet see on the Embassy website that the multiple entry allows me 12 months to enter Thailand after it's issued. That would allow me the flexibility I need with my pensions and rental house uncertainties here.

1 hour ago, ding said:

Thanks yet again for clearing things up for me ubonjoe!

So get into Thailand within 3 months of issuance and then I can stay in for 3 months. I've never had a visa and thought if it expired I had to get out.

I didn't yet see on the Embassy website that the multiple entry allows me 12 months to enter Thailand after it's issued. That would allow me the flexibility I need with my pensions and rental house uncertainties here.

It is a common misconception that, in Thailand, your visa and your permission to stay are synonymous. With some countries, that is true. In Thailand, the visa just facilitates your entry into the country. Your permission to stay is essentially independent of the visa.

3 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Hi , I just got a retirement visa extension last week when do I do 90 day report ? Thank you 

Assume this is you first extension, I understand it to be 90 days from the issue of the extension, as applying for the extension would be taken as a 90 day report in it's self. Afterwards the date for your next report is on the 90 day receipt you will be given.

I was on my third (I think) extension before the issue of 90 day reports raised it's head.

13 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Hi , I just got a retirement visa extension last week when do I do 90 day report ? Thank you 

If was your first extension of stay (visas are not extended) it would be due 90 days from the day you applied for it.

If not the first one then it is due on the date shown on your receipt for your last 90 day report.

8 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

I was on my third (I think) extension before the issue of 90 day reports raised it's head.

and only because having nothing else to do but wait. I was examining the posters on the notice board, and found one relating to penalties for not doing one, nobody said anything to me on the subject until I asked.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If was your first extension of stay (visas are not extended) it would be due 90 days from the day you applied for it.

If not the first one then it is due on the date shown on your receipt for your last 90 day report.

This is my second , and feb 22 /2021 is when it expires Do I go in before feb 22, Thanks UJ , you do a great service always appreciated 

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

Assume this is you first extension, I understand it to be 90 days from the issue of the extension, as applying for the extension would be taken as a 90 day report in it's self. Afterwards the date for your next report is on the 90 day receipt you will be given.

Thx Lomsack 

12 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

This is my second , and feb 22 /2021 is when it expires Do I go in before feb 22, Thanks UJ , you do a great service always appreciated 

You could apply for your extension of stay now it you wanted to. Best to do at least 2 weeks early incase you are lacking some required documents. You can do it up to 30 days early at most offices.

When is your 90 day report due?

On 2/9/2021 at 2:20 PM, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for your extension of stay now it you wanted to. Best to do at least 2 weeks early incase you are lacking some required documents. You can do it up to 30 days early at most offices.

When is your 90 day report due?

Feb 22 

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do your 90 day report up to 2 weeks early. You could apply for the extension and do your 90 day report now if you wanted to.

I did extension already , I wasn’t sure I had to go back to do 90 day report , sounds ridiculous but TIT Thanks UbonJoe you re  the Best 

31 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

I did extension already , I wasn’t sure I had to go back to do 90 day report , sounds ridiculous but TIT Thanks UbonJoe you re  the Best 

Not really. Apart from your first extension 90 day report has nothing to do with extension.

Archived