Possible causes for stomach bloating and any recommendations

4MyEgo

On 2/9/2021 at 9:34 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Been having bloating issues all of my life every now and again, i.e. certain foods trigger my stomach to bloat, not sure which ones.

Irritable bowl syndrome (IBS) sounds like the obvious, however this time it's been close to two weeks and I look like I am going to give birth.

No problems going to the toilet regularly, just uncomfortable trying to fit into my shorts/trousers/underwear and putting shoes on.

I don't have any discomfort apart from that, however about a week ago, I woke up in the early hours of the morning with a sort of burning pain and couldn't go back to sleep for a couple of hours. Went to the chemist in the morning, discussed and they gave me some anti-biotics, after two days seemed to get better, but today, day 5 and last day on antibiotics, the bloating is back full on, albeit it didn't go away but wasn't so noticeable. Could it be the change in weather as crazy as that sounds as in the past when it rained, it seems as if the stomach bugs start to party sometimes and my stomach would bloat, crazy I know.

Looking at going to hospital tomorrow as I think it might be something else, don't know what, leaky gut, however would like to know what it actually is for once and for all so as to stay away from whatever triggers it, if that is at all possible.

I do have some reflux at the moment, and would just like to hear what others think as I read it could a number of things, e.g. a chronic or other serious condition ?.

Thanks for any constructive suggestions/recommendations. 

Go and see a doctor. There are many reasons why bloating can occur.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Letseng said:

Go and see a doctor. There are many reasons why bloating can occur.

Day one without adding anything I suspect would be giving me bloating and success, bloating reduced, feeling much better, in other words, what I was doing was adding fuel to the fire by adding foods that are harder to breakdown and therefore create gas.

As mentioned previously if I don't get back to normal within a week, I will see a Doctor. ????

21 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Interesting, but as a person with blood type A, I know the foods recommended in the article would bloat me, like legumes & beans.

I don't smoke, and eat clean, very conscious as to what goes in, too conscious for that matter, mostly proteins, mainly omega 3 fish, chicken and meat every now and again, veggies, salads, no sodas of any kind, half a dozen small beers a week, nuts, fruits. I think once one steps out of the usual diet and adds something into the mix that has been working, there in lay the truth in the pudding, so I in the elimination process as of today, coffee out, ginger tea in, broccoli and cauliflower out, chick peas out, beer out for a week of more if it hasn't changed things.

So far today it's been a fast till 9.30am except for a ginger tea, then a jam sandwich, followed by another ginger tea, and a magnesium tablet. Lunch was grilled chicken breast on two pieces of bread, and a ginger tea after, so far so good, tonight will be grilled fish and a ginger tea.

The discomfort has subsided as has the bloating, a few noises in the tummy here and there every now and again, but the air-x chewable citrus tablets seem to stop that.

Will definitely stay away from stuff that I don't usually eat because it can turn out just as bad as a bad women after the even ????

There is little to no (scientific) evidence regarding blood types & diets - careful on the ruffage as this can cause bloating also

I see from your diet as listed very little fat, take a day & add some quality fats - also you did not mention milk as lactose would be a prime source of bloating. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, eezergood said:

There is little to no (scientific) evidence regarding blood types & diets - careful on the ruffage as this can cause bloating also

I see from your diet as listed very little fat, take a day & add some quality fats - also you did not mention milk as lactose would be a prime source of bloating. 

Day 2 and recovering with a magnesium supplement, some air-x chewable citrus tablets and just eating plain white toast with jam in the morning, something I would never do, grilled white fish with tomatoes and dill, no more bloating, it is going down, no more sharp pain that would occur every now and again, burping more frequently, toilet is back to normal stool as well.

My diet did have avocado in it and probiotic yogurt, almond nuts, Salmon and milk I do stay away from although do drink the Almond milk every now and again.

I remembered this morning that I saw a gastronomist about a decade ago, and he told me that as there was no history in my family of cancers and by just looking at my stomach and from what I had told him it was caused from certain foods, and excess air that we take in, he then sent me to a dietician, did well and things got back on track, I suppose the problem is, we all feel that the foods we see and like will be enjoyable, if we forget that they can have a reaction, so again I find myself back to square one, carefully thinking of what goes in and how my stomach reacts to it.

Hopefully I won't see myself in this predicament again, but no doubt I will, however the chef has told me she will keep an eye on things again until she also forgets....lol 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Day 2 and recovering with a magnesium supplement, some air-x chewable citrus tablets and just eating plain white toast with jam in the morning, something I would never do, grilled white fish with tomatoes and dill, no more bloating, it is going down, no more sharp pain that would occur every now and again, burping more frequently, toilet is back to normal stool as well.

My diet did have avocado in it and probiotic yogurt, almond nuts, Salmon and milk I do stay away from although do drink the Almond milk every now and again.

I remembered this morning that I saw a gastronomist about a decade ago, and he told me that as there was no history in my family of cancers and by just looking at my stomach and from what I had told him it was caused from certain foods, and excess air that we take in, he then sent me to a dietician, did well and things got back on track, I suppose the problem is, we all feel that the foods we see and like will be enjoyable, if we forget that they can have a reaction, so again I find myself back to square one, carefully thinking of what goes in and how my stomach reacts to it.

Hopefully I won't see myself in this predicament again, but no doubt I will, however the chef has told me she will keep an eye on things again until she also forgets....lol 

that sharp pain you mention could easily be trapped wind, let rip as often as possible ???? the wife will get used to it

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

that sharp pain you mention could easily be trapped wind, let rip as often as possible ???? the wife will get used to it

LOL....you just brought back a memory from some 14 years ago, you see when I met my wife, we ended up getting something to eat in the early hours of the morning, she seemed really tired as we were going hard partying, and I felt like letting one rip, so I put my hand out and said can you please pull my finger, and she did, at that moment I knew I was going to marry this girl, she literally wet her pants, and I said to myself, wow, now if she can like my jokes then it's game over, still to this day she literally wets her pants at my jokes, she has actually learnt to throw them back at me.

All jokes aside, day 3 and 90% plus better, just keeping away from anything that I know will bloat me, the gas is slowly making it's way out from the rear, but mainly through the mouth, belching some big ones every now and again, but looking forward to a cold one in due course to really let one rip.

Did I mention that I shouldn't have got the Mrs to pull my finger as that has opened up a can of worms with her, e.g. laying in bed, oh great honey, don't hold back ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2021 at 3:40 PM, Pilotman said:

Me too, as I suffer from diverticulitis and colitis.  On the recommendation of my UK medico, I stared using Pepto Bismol and I find that it helps a lot.  Also look to your diet.  Google has some good advice on what to avoid.  

Mr P I was told some years ago that I have diverticuli but not told anything else and do not seem to have any problems. 

So could you tell me, what does diverticulitis entail, please. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve recently seen Dr Parit at Bumrungrad and I had similar issues to you and he was able to diagnose the problem and I’m feeling great. I was at Bumrungrad in 2013 for 4 days doing tests and they came up with nothing wrong but problems still persisted. So he was very thorough and ruled out all possibilities.  Young and well trained Dr 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

As people here are saying - get yourself checked out by a doctor first. 

After that consider your diet and exercise. I don’t think you mentioned your age bracket but exercise could be as simple as walking and swimming. 

On the diet side try not to eat after say 4pm to see whether digestion is causing acid reflux or gas. 

Try reducing your diet to a minimum for a while to take out all foods that might cause an issue. For instance beer, milk products, carbohydrates like bread or pasta. 

Try a week or two of simple foods (on the stomach) like soups and salads. And only eat what you need. 

If the symptoms disappear with exercise or a reduced diet slowly add food items. See what causes the issue. 

Good luck. 

On 2/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I am going to leave it for a week as I like to self analyse first and then if things don't improve then go to the doctor. It does also help with others putting their input in.

The above said, I did notice that I increased and added broccoli and cauliflower into my diet of late, prior to that had chick peas, and slowly increased my beer intake over those two weeks, now all of the above will cause bloating.

Today I have taken magnesium supplements and am drinking ginger tea and had toast with jam and taking some air-x citrus tasting chewable tablets, all of which have helped. 

No one knows their body than those who are in it, doctors can look for symptoms, and prescribe something for what they might feel is the problem or might be lucky enough to find the problem straight away.

I have had this before, it's a trigger caused by food, garlic, onions, and certain things like broccoli, however I rarely think about it or try to pinpoint the cause and if I do I usually forget and cop it again down the track, same with the wife, she knows the triggers and also forgets and gives me what triggers my bloating, only problem this time it was prolonged because I added broccoli into my meals twice a day and didn't give it any thought, my bad and I suffered for it, suffice to say, I am now eliminating foods and drinks that are associated with bloating and will keep an eye on it, yes a gluten for punishment, and if things don't improve (which they have today), I will go to the hospital to see the Doctor and get a full working to solve it for once and for all. 

Generally speaking the bloating usually last 2-3 days, but this time with being busy and not focusing on what could have caused it and kept adding broccoli and cauliflower to my changed diet, f'd me harder than usually, i.e. 14 days ???????? 

Don't wait. Bloating can be a symptom of some cancers. Colon and stomach cancer are two. Go see a doctor ASAP.

10 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Don't wait. Bloating can be a symptom of some cancers. Colon and stomach cancer are two. Go see a doctor ASAP.

Thanks, but I have been back to normal for a while now, I put it down to Broccoli and Cauliflower, both of which were newly added to my diet and after eating them for days on end on top of the bloating, it made it worse, so once I stopped and gave myself a few days of not having them in the diet the bloating subsided thankfully.

I prefer to look at what makes me bloat and avoid it, the above are known to cause it as it does take time to break down and the longer it takes the more gas is trapped in your stomach.

Had a similar issue for 7 years terrible bloating. Went from one gastro to another they are useless by most part at diagnosing theses issues and just lob it into the IBS basket. Which is essentially the gastroenterologists too hard basket. 
until I saw the head of the microbiome research institute. Diagnosed by symptoms as possible unbalanced microbiome or bacterial overgrowth. He prescribed a two week course of Rifaximin a non absorbable antibiotic. Worked a charm. 

Do some research on Sibo. 

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks, but I have been back to normal for a while now, I put it down to Broccoli and Cauliflower, both of which were newly added to my diet and after eating them for days on end on top of the bloating, it made it worse, so once I stopped and gave myself a few days of not having them in the diet the bloating subsided thankfully.

I prefer to look at what makes me bloat and avoid it, the above are known to cause it as it does take time to break down and the longer it takes the more gas is trapped in your stomach.

You must have floret's syndrome.

• Haha 2

On 2/9/2021 at 5:36 PM, Sheryl said:

This isn't something that can be diagnosed over the internet

Too many possible causes

May not  be "bloating" as such. Could be ascites (fluid accumulation) which in turn can have many causes, all pretty serious

See a doctor

Sheryl, some time ago there was a link to on line pharmacy do you have any recommendations, need to buy some meds and my local pharmacy is charging me an arm and a leg, thanks

On 3/18/2021 at 6:05 PM, Mavideol said:

Sheryl, some time ago there was a link to on line pharmacy do you have any recommendations, need to buy some meds and my local pharmacy is charging me an arm and a leg, thanks

Please see this thread 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155081-getting-your-medications-without-travelling-options/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-16109119

But it would help to know what it is you are trying to get. Some drugs are available here only in imported brand and thus costly. in other cases the problem may be asking by brand name which may lead pharmacy to provide only that brand and not a locally made less expensive equivalent.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:39 PM, ericg1953 said:

I’ve recently seen Dr Parit at Bumrungrad and I had similar issues to you and he was able to diagnose the problem and I’m feeling great. I was at Bumrungrad in 2013 for 4 days doing tests and they came up with nothing wrong but problems still persisted. So he was very thorough and ruled out all possibilities.  Young and well trained Dr 

So he 'checked all possibilities' and found nothing, then you started to feel 'great'?  So how much did you pay for this 4 days of none diagnosis by a well trained doctor?? None of that seems to make any sense. 

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

So he 'checked all possibilities' and found nothing, then you started to feel 'great'?  So how much did you pay for this 4 days of none diagnosis by a well trained doctor?? None of that seems to make any sense. 

I think you misread this post.  The 4 days of tests etc  was a different doctor and 8 years ago.  The doctoir he is recommending now made a diagnosis.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I think you misread this post.  The 4 days of tests etc  was a different doctor and 8 years ago.  The doctoir he is recommending now made a diagnosis.

ah,. okay thanks Sheryl.  It was a bit confusing. . 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Please see this thread 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155081-getting-your-medications-without-travelling-options/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-16109119

But it would help to know what it is you are trying to get. Some drugs are available here only in imported brand and thus costly. in other cases the problem may be asking by brand name which may lead pharmacy to provide only that brand and not a locally made less expensive equivalent.

have GERD and am taking PrevAcid and Gaviston, visit to the local drug store it's always above 1,000 Baht... Gaviston 150 ml 330 baht Prev Acid 800-850 Baht

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

have GERD and am taking PrevAcid and Gaviston, visit to the local drug store it's always above 1,000 Baht... Gaviston 150 ml 330 baht Prev Acid 800-850 Baht

Gaviscon (I assume that is what you mean, not Gaviston) is costly, no question. though I think the tablets may be a little less (and I find one can take 1/2 tablet with as much result as a whole tablet, making it last longer)

Prevacid (lansprazole) is also expensive, anywhere, because it is imported. Buy a local brand of omeprazole (Miracid or Omeprazole GPO are common brands), will cost much less

In the past few months I've lost 10 kg and cut back substantially on the amount of alcohol I was drinking.  I had already switched from wine to scotch because it was easier on my stomach, but the scotch drinking had gotten somewhat out-of-hand during the pandemic with little to do.  

It was fairly easy to lose weight by cutting down on the alcohol and once I'd lost about 5 kg, the GERD stopped, along with the need for expensive Gaviscon every day.  By losing 10 kg, I've been able to "shop my closet" and get into clothes I haven't been able to wear for a while, not that there's much social life any more.

On 3/21/2021 at 1:03 PM, Sheryl said:

Gaviscon (I assume that is what you mean, not Gaviston) is costly, no question. though I think the tablets may be a little less (and I find one can take 1/2 tablet with as much result as a whole tablet, making it last longer)

Prevacid (lansprazole) is also expensive, anywhere, because it is imported. Buy a local brand of omeprazole (Miracid or Omeprazole GPO are common brands), will cost much less

thank, will  try the local miracid as I tried the Omeprazole and didn't work as good as Prev.... do you know about algycon took some for a trial and it works Almost as well as Gaviscon and much less expoensive

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

In the past few months I've lost 10 kg and cut back substantially on the amount of alcohol I was drinking.  I had already switched from wine to scotch because it was easier on my stomach, but the scotch drinking had gotten somewhat out-of-hand during the pandemic with little to do.  

It was fairly easy to lose weight by cutting down on the alcohol and once I'd lost about 5 kg, the GERD stopped, along with the need for expensive Gaviscon every day.  By losing 10 kg, I've been able to "shop my closet" and get into clothes I haven't been able to wear for a while, not that there's much social life any more.

I don't drink and don't smoke, do drink 2 expresso coffee /day and eat daily salad at lunch and light dinner with bred and cheese or some fish, don't eat greasy /fried food or spicy but do have hard time loosing weight, ride bike 2-3 week and still the extra 6-7 kgs don't move

• Haha 1