STV from Los Angeles Consulate - Qs re: accommodation, insurance

I'm going to apply for an STV from the LA Consulate and have a couple questions for anyone who has gone through the process with them (seems experiences differ depending on where you apply, so specifically looking for answers from someone who's done it through LA). I'm a US citizen, booking a roundtrip flight and will stay 180 days total in Thailand, in case any of that matters.

1. Accommodation: What documents did you show for proof of accommodation post-ASQ? I emailed the consulate and they said a confirmation from Agoda or Booking.com won't meet the requirement. It seems I could book on Agoda and then contact the hotel directly to get a "reservation... issued by the hotel showing the duration of stay, and hotel’s contact details and tax ID number" — let's just say I don't plan on staying in a hotel for the whole time, so this could get complicated. I also wonder if there is an option to show that I'll be staying at a friend's house (which they own) or condo (leased).

2. Insurance: Did you purchase Thai insurance to meet the 40/400k THB + 100k USD requirements? I would like to purchase IMG (have used them in the past) and ask them to fill out the "Foreign Insurance Certificate" from this page: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/.

Think those are the main Qs for now. Any insight would be much appreciated!

I used the Thai Embassy in DC,  For the ASQ you will need a confirmation from the Hotel itself. The insurance I used AXA and had no issues getting the COE. See attached examples of both. You only need to stay at that that hotel for 15 days. When you apply for the COE , they will ask you where you will be staying after you. are done with ASQ. You can use any address you like. 

ASQ Confirmation Letter.pdf 2020-Q6102679-AT1.pdf

19 hours ago, westcoastUSA said:

I'm going to apply for an STV from the LA Consulate. ...

I'm a US citizen, booking a roundtrip flight and will stay 180 days total in Thailand ...

2. Insurance: Did you purchase Thai insurance to meet the 40/400k THB + 100k USD requirements? I would like to purchase IMG (have used them in the past) and ask them to fill out the "Foreign Insurance Certificate" from this page: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/.

The Thai Embassy in USA is one of the few (maybe only) Embassy, that allows when applying for the STV to make use of international/foreign insurance that meets the 400K/40K in/out-patient coverage requirement.  But it requires that your insurer is willing/able to fill in the Foreign Insurance Certificate.

Also be aware that reports have been posted on the Forum, of people applying for a 3-month extension of their STV at their local IO, that were required to show that their 400K/40K insurance was still valid.  So to play it safe, you would need coverage for at least the period you intend to stay in Thailand.

When not able to get hold of the FIC, you could consider subscribing to the LMG Plan-1 insurance with 200K deductible.  That's the cheapest IO-approved and STV-compliant 400K/40K coverage Thai health-insurance policy.  I have PM-ed you a Guideline document on how to apply for it.

= = =

Re the 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance (which is part of the CoE requirements for everybody now entering Thailand), the SafetyWing travel-insurance package includes such coverage (on top of all the other perks it provides), and depending on your age it could even be cheaper than the ridiculous TGIA covid-19 only insurance provided by the Thai insurance lobby.

You would only need that 100K US $ covid-19 coverage for the period of the permission to stay your initial entry will provide you (for an STV entry that's 90 days).

>> In order to access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum

Thanks both, much appreciated. On AXA, I'm in a weird exchange with them trying to just get a quote. Will see.

On the Foreign Insurance Certificate, the agent at IMG says they can't do it: "we are unable to fill out this form because the form mentions this Cabinet Resolution, dated 2 April B.E. 2562 (2019) and we have no idea what that is. [Fair point.... ] Unless this detail is specified in the form, we are unable to fill out the form. We do have a plan that can provide COVID-19 coverage and I can provide you with a confirmation letter that will say the plan can cover COVID-19. Would that be good enough?"

— Only way forward on this IMG (preferred) option is maybe to show them the Cabinet Resolution. I googled->nothing. Anyone seen it in English from someplace official?

Peter — I'll reply in PMs, but yes will look at SafetyWing + LMG Plan1 combo.

If anyone has advice on post-ASQ accommodation documents for DC Embassy or LA consulate, would be keen to hear (PM if you like).

13 minutes ago, westcoastUSA said:

Thanks both, much appreciated. On AXA, I'm in a weird exchange with them trying to just get a quote. Will see.

On the Foreign Insurance Certificate, the agent at IMG says they can't do it: "we are unable to fill out this form because the form mentions this Cabinet Resolution, dated 2 April B.E. 2562 (2019) and we have no idea what that is. [Fair point.... ] Unless this detail is specified in the form, we are unable to fill out the form. We do have a plan that can provide COVID-19 coverage and I can provide you with a confirmation letter that will say the plan can cover COVID-19. Would that be good enough?"

— Only way forward on this IMG (preferred) option is maybe to show them the Cabinet Resolution. I googled->nothing. Anyone seen it in English from someplace official?

Hi WestCoast USA,

1 - The mentioning of Thai legislation on the Foreign Insurance Certificate is the main reason why foreign insurers are reluctant or unwilling to fill in that Form, as their legal departments will often object to it.  So it might require persistance to convince them to fill-in and sign that FIC.  

The Guideline document I did sent you provides more info on how to do it, but without a personal relationship with your insurer agent chances are slim you will be able to persuade them to fill in the FIC to meet the 400K/40K health-insurance requirement.

Attached a copy of the Cabinet Resolution.

2 - If your current policy you have with them does provide 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage, there is no need for them to fill in the FIC for that.  A simple statement that your policy (including policy expiry date) provides 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment coverage would meet the CoE requirement  

OAInsuranceCabinetResolution.pdf

On 2/10/2021 at 7:23 AM, westcoastUSA said:

Hi, I am also considering the STV-Visa, but from Sweden.

The Foreign Insurance Certificate I believe should only be used if you use an insurance company not based in Thailand. LMG is a Thai insurance company (I assume you mean LMG and not IMG?), so that form should not be needed! Please keep me posted how everything goes.

Feels like a huge mountain to climb.

1 hour ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

The Foreign Insurance Certificate I believe should only be used if you use an insurance company not based in Thailand. LMG is a Thai insurance company (I assume you mean LMG and not IMG?), so that form should not be needed! Please keep me posted how everything goes.

When applying for the STV at the Thai Embassy in Sweden, ONLY Thai health-insurance is allowed to meet the 400K/40K in/out-patient coverage.  The Thai Embassy/Consulate in USA is one of the few (or maybe only) place that allows you to use your foreign/international insurance when applying for the STV, but it requires that your insurer then fills in the Foreign Insurance Certificate.

Hi all — Still struggling with the accommodation piece here for the STV. Consulate said they won't accept an Agoda or Booking booking and directed me to their website (https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/stv/). I don't own or rent a condo, moved out when I left last year. Any suggestions? Has anyone submitted a friend's lease + some type of documentation to show permission to stay there? What types of documentation work?

If there is a way to come in on a normal single entry tourist visa and stay for 6 months, that would work too (drop the STV).

Thanks to Peter Denis for helping sort the insurance. And EdrigoSalvadore, I actually did mean IMG (thought that might cause confusion). I've used their int'l health insurance in the past and it's solid. They won't sign anything.

53 minutes ago, westcoastUSA said:

Is there is a way to come in on a normal single entry tourist visa and stay for 6 months, that would work too (drop the STV).

When you are under 50 years of age, you can enter Thailand

- VisaExempt (provides a 45-day permission to stay), 

- on a 60-day Tourist Visa.

- on a 90-day STV, which can be extended twice.

Both the 45-day VisaExempt entry and the 60-day Tourist Visa, allow you to apply for a quick-and-easy but only one-time 30-day extension.

When wanting to stay longer, you can then apply for a relatively easy 60-day covid-19 extension (it is however a 2-step process, starting with an 'under consideration' period > so two visits to the Imm Office required).

A potential problem with the 60-day covid-19 extensions are that they are not 'tailor-made' but have a fixed end-date for all applications irrespective of when you apply.  The current one is valid till end of March, but since their introduction Thai immigration has kept on prolonging them, so it is a relatively safe bet that at the end of the March, they will be prolonged till end of May, and then till end of July.

So, yes it should be possible to enter and stay in Thailand for 6 months even when under 50 years of age or not married to a Thai national, doing the above.  But should Thai Immigration decide NOT to prolonge those 60-day covid-19 extensions, you would have to leave Thailand,  Obviously, as many people are currently making use of those covid-19 extensions, and they would all expire at same day when not extended, it follows that Thai Immigration would need to inform everyone well in advance that they would NOT extend them anymore in order to allow people to make arrangements for leaving the country by that final day.  But chances are slim they would do this, as it is easier for all parties involved to just allow people to stay in the country on such a covid-19 extension, until border restrictions are lifted.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:30 AM, EdrigoSalvadore said:

As mentioned in one of my previous posts, the USA based Thai Embassy/Consulate is the exception that allows applicants for an STV to make use of foreign/international insurance to meet the 400K/40K in/out-patient insurance requirement (by providing a filled-in/signed Foreign Insurance Certificate).

However in all other countries - Sweden included - the Thai Embassy only accepts THAI insurance from one of the TGIA-associated insurers to meet that requirement.

And that's not a big deal, because when under 50 - the only age where applying for an STV makes sense - the cheapest Thai IO-approved insurance being the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy with 200K deductible, only costs 3.900 THB annual premium to subscribe to it.

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

As mentioned in one of my previous posts, the USA based Thai Embassy/Consulate is the exception that allows applicants for an STV to make use of foreign/international insurance to meet the 400K/40K in/out-patient insurance requirement (by providing a filled-in/signed Foreign Insurance Certificate).

However in all other countries - Sweden included - the Thai Embassy only accepts THAI insurance from one of the TGIA-associated insurers to meet that requirement.

And that's not a big deal, because when under 50 - the only age where applying for an STV makes sense - the cheapest Thai IO-approved insurance being the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy with 200K deductible, only costs 3.900 THB annual premium to subscribe to it.

Thanks

I am struggling to find how to acquire the confirmation of stay of 90 days after my quarantine. The apartment I usually rent is quite simple, and hard to get them to give me something.

Booking.com only provides reservations of 30 days. How did you guys solve it?

Archived