With new 1 year extension granted, do I have to apply for a new visa if not leaving Thailand at all within that period?

I have lived in Thailand with my Thai spouse for nearly 14 years, my status being that of a retired person.

I have just been granted my next one-year extension of stay in Thailand until February 19, 2022.

In the previous years, leaving Thailand for a couple of times every year to travel to Europe and back, I have always applied for a re-entry visa for the respective extension period a day or two after that extension of stay was granted.

Due to the pandemic raging in Europe at the moment, and no end of it to be seen in the foreseeable future, I will definitely not leave Thailand before the end of my new permission to stay until February 19, 2022.

My questions: 

1. Do I have to apply for a single (or a re-entry) visa if I don't leave the country at all within the period of my new permission to stay? 

2. If I don't apply for a single (or a re-entry) visa, will that jeopardize my new permission to stay?

Thanks for all helpful replies! 

P.S. It's not about the fee of 1,000 or 3,800 THB respectively, yet I don't like pouring money down the drain for nothing, and it would also save me time to go to Immigration to apply.

OP, I'm not being picky. In my thinking sometimes slight misuse of terms can cause confusion. We all know what you mean and you have correct answers above.

Fact is your not applying for single or multiple reentry VISA. Currently you do not have a visa. You have a valid permission of stay (permit) to stay in Thailand till Feb 19/2022.

If you wish to exit Thailand and reenter you need purchase reentry permit.

That protects your current permission of stay.

Does not effect your next application for extension in any way.

Archived