Firefox 2.0 Problem

TheWalkingMan

Any help would be appreciated on this.

Last night I shut down my laptop by pressing the power switch. When I next turned on the laptop the "Go Back One Page," "Go Forward One Page" and "Reload Page" buttons did not work. That is to say they do not light up in order for me to click. The "Stop Loading This Page" button works fine.

Additionally, my bookmarks have disappeared. At this point I was using Firefox 1.5 and figured that by updating to 2.0 all would be fixed. I was wrong and the buttons mentioned above still do not work.

Another weird item is that when I go to a new tab and new URL, that URL shows up across all tabs. This is really frustrating and any help would be welcomed.

I was also using the Google Tool Bar but have since removed it to keep everything looking clean.

Thanks!

TheWalkingMan

Haven't had this problem myself-- do the command keys work, or the drop-down menus for the commands?

Thanks for the reply.

The drop down menus appear to work, but I did not see anything under the drop down for "Go Back One Page" or "Go Forward One Page"

Command keys = keyboard short cuts, right?

Alt + Left arrow Backspace does not work for "Go Back One Page"

Alt + Right arrow Shift + Backspace does not work for "Go Forward One Page"

But...

Alt + Home takes me to my Homepage.

Thanks,

TheWalkingMan

hard core FF advocates will not like dising of FF

since 2.0 FF has presented 'weird' problems for me also.

i hacve lost all my bookmarks several times .. in the bookmark manage toolbar there is an 'export' option .. thank goodness I did that in late '06 ..

& I now keep a 'bookmark.htm' folder on my tab bar.

even uninstall & reinstall did not help my assorted FF problems.

going back to 2.0 from 2.00.3 did not help

.. deleting my original ff folder & reinstalling in a different folder did not help.

a reformat of my C: & reinstall the OS & apps did work

I did not format c: because of FF .. but format C: (= clean reg. ?? ) has fixed FF (for now)

i never had a FF problem before 2.0 .. maybe even before 2.00.3 .. but at some point FF has developed bugs.

losing BMs is a P!$$&@

I run FF 2.0.0.1 and I never have had a problem. Perhaps you should consider your OS and how it handles the "suspend" feature when you press the power button to turn off your system.

Also if memory serves me correct, FF can support multiple users. Is it possible that when you launched FF that a previous incarnation was not properly exited and thus when you launched FF again it thought you were a different user? Thus no bookmarks, no previous history, etc. Take a peek at the process stats of your system to ensure that there are no lingering FF incarnations running when you have "terminated" FF.

As far as FF having bugs, I'm sure it has them. But to the order of what you folks are seeing, I highly doubt it.

Haven't had this problem myself-- do the command keys work, or the drop-down menus for the commands?

Thanks for the reply.

The drop down menus appear to work, but I did not see anything under the drop down for "Go Back One Page" or "Go Forward One Page"

Command keys = keyboard short cuts, right?

Alt + Left arrow Backspace does not work for "Go Back One Page"

Alt + Right arrow Shift + Backspace does not work for "Go Forward One Page"

But...

Alt + Home takes me to my Homepage.

Thanks,

TheWalkingMan

What gave you the notion you needed to type a "backspace" character? Just try Alt-Left Arrow to go back, Alt-Right Arrow to go forward.

Edited by Gumballl

What gave you the notion you needed to type a "backspace" character? Just try Alt-Left Arrow to go back, Alt-Right Arrow to go forward.

Gumballl,

I got that from the help file under Keyboard Shortcuts.

Thanks for the comments,

ThaWalkingMan

There are several ways of doing things in FF as in other programs, therefore you can either use [back] Alt+Left Arrow OR Backspace, equally [forward] Alt+Right Arrow OR Shift+Backspace.

There have been some reports of a few hic-cups upgrading, and also suspend and hibernation on XP is sometime problematic. Would agree that you should check that there is no remaining 'stub' of either FF 1.x or 2.x and reinstall. Similar issue occurred with a recent 'forced install of IE 7 over IE 6.

No one's perfect, except me of course :o

Regards

Regards

TheWalkingMan - I assume your running a version of Windows.

First, if you have Skype installed, check the MozillaZine Forum thread here.

If you do not have Skype installed, and your operating system appears to be working normally (including IE), suggest you uninstall Firefox following Mozilla's instructions here. Be sure to read all uninstall options, paying particular attention to details listed under "This step is recommended for users who are uninstalling Firefox in preparation for a "clean reinstall".

Following the uninstall, do a complete shutdown (not reboot). Restart, then reinstall the version of Firefox you prefer. (Believe latest version is 2.0.0.3)

waldwolf

TheWalkingMan - I assume your running a version of Windows.

First, if you have Skype installed, check the MozillaZine Forum thread here.

waldwolf

Waldwolf,

Just one word.... Bingo!!! :o It was SKYPE and as soon as I read your message I recalled that a SKYPE message appeared just before this issue occurred. Problem solved.

Oh and yes I am using a real version of Windows XP.

Cheers,

TheWalkingMan