More than 40% of Britons in poor health or struggling financially amid pandemic, says UK regulator

snoop1130

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

So minimum wage plus £ 1.28 shift allowance if worked.

No. You misunderstand. They are the hourly rates. In no way related to minimum wage. I think you'll find, if it were connected to minimum wage, my 18 year old daughter would be nowhere near those figures. Fixed contract of 36 hours per week.

Monday to Friday, Saturday and Sunday rates are different. I believe it is £8.72, £9,40 and £10. Each care worker works every other weekend to make it fair to everyone. Shifts are either 8am to 2pm, 2pm to 8pm or 8am to 8pm.

No need to be mobile as we walk to work. If we choose not to walk then there are buses. My first job was a little further so I went out and bought a cheap run around. 

Like I said, the jobs are out there if one is prepared to get past obstacles that may be put in the way.

I have just done a quick search of the 4 leading supermarkets in UK in the Surrey region, as an example. Lots going on there.

4 hours ago, gunderhill said:

That said the ridiculous UK  house prices today create a huge financial burden on youngsters

That would be area specific. We live in the south east. I agree that, while living in this area, we have no chance of buying a property. However, there are plenty of nice options available to us if we should decide to move about 150 miles east, west or north. 3 bedroom houses in the region of 120-150k.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

No. You misunderstand. They are the hourly rates. In no way related to minimum wage.

The basic rate you quoted, £8.72, is the minimum wage for those aged 23 or over; at least it is until the 1st April when it increases to £8.91. If your 18 year old daughter is getting that rate; good for her.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

No need to be mobile as we walk to work. If we choose not to walk then there are buses. My first job was a little further so I went out and bought a cheap run around. 

As said, I do now have a job. Before I became unwell I cycled to work. As the last bus from work leaves 30 minutes before I finish, using the bus would be stupid.

For her Christmas job my wife went by train. Obviously she is prepared to use other means of transport as well. She recently applied for a job in a care home which is approx. a mile and a half away with no suitable bus. So she would have cycled. But, as in so many other applications, they never even responded, let alone interviewed her.

By 'home care' I meant caring for someone in their own home, not in a care home. For that employers want you to have your own transport, or at least have a full driving licence; as I said, my wife doesn't drive.

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Like I said, the jobs are out there if one is prepared to get past obstacles that may be put in the way.

Like I said; we have applied for many jobs over the last 11 months, but the obstacle we have been  unable to get past is not even being invited for an interview!

I have just done a quick search of the 4 leading supermarkets in UK in the Surrey region, as an example. Lots going on there.

My wife is registered with all the supermarkets within reach; be it by foot, bicycle or public transport. She has applied for jobs with all of them. Only Morrisons have ever interviewed her; twice. Each time they turned her down.

Having just done a quick search myself; lots of adverts for delivery drivers; but she doesn't drive! 

Despite all this, you are still saying that her predicament is in someway her fault; which is rather insulting of you.

15 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

The basic rate you quoted, £8.72, is the minimum wage for those aged 23 or over; at least it is until the 1st April when it increases to £8.91. If your 18 year old daughter is getting that rate; good for her.

As said, I do now have a job. Before I became unwell I cycled to work. As the last bus from work leaves 30 minutes before I finish, using the bus would be stupid.

For her Christmas job my wife went by train. Obviously she is prepared to use other means of transport as well. She recently applied for a job in a care home which is approx. a mile and a half away with no suitable bus. So she would have cycled. But, as in so many other applications, they never even responded, let alone interviewed her.

By 'home care' I meant caring for someone in their own home, not in a care home. For that employers want you to have your own transport, or at least have a full driving licence; as I said, my wife doesn't drive.

Like I said; we have applied for many jobs over the last 11 months, but the obstacle we have been  unable to get past is not even being invited for an interview!

My wife is registered with all the supermarkets within reach; be it by foot, bicycle or public transport. She has applied for jobs with all of them. Only Morrisons have ever interviewed her; twice. Each time they turned her down.

Having just done a quick search myself; lots of adverts for delivery drivers; but she doesn't drive! 

Despite all this, you are still saying that her predicament is in someway her fault; which is rather insulting of you.

I don't recall ever mentioning your wife in particular. I merely posted my experience.

To be accused of something I have not done does not sit well.

If anything, I was showing you what can happen with perseverance. I'm sure, with the right approach and flexibility to fit in, your wife will find a suitable position. Just as mine did.

BTW, the £8.72 is the probationary starting wage. After 6 months it increases. Also, it does not include a current £0.50 per hour supplement for working at the frontline during the Covid19 pandemic.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

I don't recall ever mentioning your wife in particular. I merely posted my experience.

To be accused of something I have not done does not sit well.

I detailed her experiences in order to show the major efforts she has made in trying to find employment. I detailed the times she has applied and received no reply; the times she has been interview to no avail

Your response?

A clear indication you believe she is sitting at home on her <deleted> and doing nothing.

That is insulting. 

An insult you compound with

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I'm sure, with the right approach and flexibility to fit in, your wife will find a suitable position

So you can take your "does not sit well" add it to your smug, condescending tone and shove it all where the sun don't shine.

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 11:20 AM, Proboscis said:

Are we surprised that such a large number of Brits are in bad shape? THe average British city does not make room for bicycles.

The average brit weather doesn't exactly suit bicycles either...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

I detailed her experiences in order to show the major efforts she has made in trying to find employment. I detailed the times she has applied and received no reply; the times she has been interview to no avail

Your response?

A clear indication you believe she is sitting at home on her <deleted> and doing nothing.

That is insulting. 

An insult you compound with

So you can take your "does not sit well" add it to your smug, condescending tone and shove it all where the sun don't shine.

Oh dear. Sorry for trying to help.

When I am in a situation that does not look good, I take solace from others' situations that show hope. Not condescend those giving that hope, especially not by assuming what they wrote were veiled insults.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gunderhill said:

That said the ridiculous UK  house prices today create a huge financial burden on youngsters who already to get a decent  education (which was free right though to university  when I was schooled) creates    debt even before you become employed.

Housing prices & higher-ed fees: both huge impediments to social mobility, already hugely divisive & only set to worsen.

• Like 2