Pattaya: The New Walking Street - so much more than just cable burying, says mayor

rooster59

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

If it is supposed to connect the 3 major airports I might suggest U-Tapao and make it 4! I suppose Hua-Yai is a bit closer. Maybe with all the 'Pattaya is dead' gossip running a high speed train there is silly!

Yet another Mayoral grand plan knocked on the head?

Edited by jacko45k

19 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I think that they are planning a Fremont Street experience on a smaller scale

image.png.f5f46a85ee0430411d36b4ef7c7a7cca.pngimage.png.0a702103caf87c49cd656f918069d43a.png

Fremont_Street_Experience_FB.0.webp 68.18 kB · 9 downloads

put a roof over the WS and you block the air flow for sure, causing temps to rise and causing the sounds bounce off of the roof, echo and amplify to intolerable levels ..it is so damn hot and humid many nights as it is, open air..can you imagine it covered?? what are they gonna do, put a giant air-con to cool it? gimme a break!

• Like 1

A study is being done to install a domed roof over the street that will keep everyone dry and enable all sorts of activities to happen there.

Perhaps the government can hire some professional actors to recreate the good old past of walking street, such as prostitutes parading, beggars begging, thieves thieving, and police doing what Thai police do. This would make sure the tourists, especially those from China are not disappointed when they take their selfies and giggle to one another as they voyeur down the street. In fact entire entertainment places could be built to replicate the "good ole" past, of course the cost of the drinks would need to be much higher as paying the "actors" would cost more than the original people.

In the future robots could be used to simulate the activities resigned to history, this would attract rich Japanese tourists. Further into the future they could even put back some artificial electrical wires on poles to simulate the original street.

"I think I should be called in as an advisor to the council as I have lots of really crazy ideas they probably haven't thought about"

Edited by JohnHans
added last paragraph as a brilliant after thought
  • Haha 2

I apologize for this post from the outset.

What the Thais in power need need to do is to do a serious study and figure out what will attract tourists and, in particular, the kind of tourists they want to attract. 

Do they know why they are cleaning up the walking street other than that they think it is a good idea? What exactly will be the distinctive features of Walking Street that will cause the influx of big buck tourists? I believe they haven't a clue. 

28 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I apologize for this post from the outset.

What the Thais in power need need to do is to do a serious study and figure out what will attract tourists and, in particular, the kind of tourists they want to attract. 

Do they know why they are cleaning up the walking street other than that they think it is a good idea? What exactly will be the distinctive features of Walking Street that will cause the influx of big buck tourists? I believe they haven't a clue. 

they are "cleaning-up=modernizing" the 80s look of it.burying cables and maybe mandating bars to modernize, refurbish their interiors. I'm in my 50s and I naturally want things to stay the same as they were in 70s and 80s, it's nostalgic for me but the world moves on, changes. The likes and demands of the new generation are different than ours. they watch their phone more than they watch the street or passers-by.Maybe they drink less, don't smoke as much, don't talk to each other for hours like we do and don't necessarily enjoy pole dancing as they are used to meeting women on their phone and there are more women online now than ever to meet this demand. The street really needs a face lift. its dirty, uneven and messy.It's a disaster from 70s. If this works, fine.if it doesn't, the street will get older and eventually will go in the "garbage heap of history" at the end of this decade

Edited by pattayadude
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, pattayadude said:

they are "cleaning-up=modernizing" the 80s look of it.burying cables and maybe mandating bars to modernize, refurbish their interiors. I'm in my 50s and I naturally want things to stay the same as they were in 70s and 80s, it's nostalgic for me but the world moves on, changes. The likes and demands of the new generation are different than ours. they watch their phone more than they watch the street or passers-by.Maybe they drink less, don't smoke as much, don't talk to each other for hours like we do and don't necessarily enjoy pole dancing as they are used to meeting women on their phone and there are more women online now than ever to meet this demand. The street really needs a face lift. its dirty, uneven and messy.It's a disaster from 70s. If this works, fine.if it doesn't, the street will get older and eventually will go in the "garbage heap of history" at the end of this decade

LOL. Walking street didn't exist as it is till the 90s, NOT the 70s. I was at the opening.

Doesn't matter if they tart it up or not. The destruction tarting up of Khao San Rd has been a failure, from what I've read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

If they sterilize it and remove its historic character, then it's "no fun."

They even had to clear the slums of London at some time.... (they got more now). Walking Street hardly rivals the Colosseum or Spanish Steps...

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They even had to clear the slums of London at some time.... (they got more now). Walking Street hardly rivals the Colosseum or Spanish Steps...

All things are relative, spare us the usual condescension. For Pattaya, it's Colosseum, Spanish Steps, and Stonehenge.

Asians in general aren't big on historical preservation unless it can be used for political or religious control. Somebody needs to plant some Khmer artifacts around WS or an old amulet that purportedly once belonged to Admiral Kromluang Chomphonkhetudomsak, the founder of the Thai Navy.

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

All things are relative, spare us the usual condescension. For Pattaya, it's Colosseum, Spanish Steps, and Stonehenge.

Pattaya is a place and does not discern in the slightest.... for the people of Thailand I doubt the slums of Soi VC hold much meaning unless they live there. Arrogant of Westerners to hold this country and it's people back over foreign nostalgia due their sense of fun over their old tatty crumbling buildings....

Thailand needs to modernize.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Salerno said:

Thought the three airports in question are Dong Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-Tapao?

What is the point of joining airports with high speed trains? Much more sense to join the places that people want to travel between. 

Why not join the 2 Bangkok main train stations to the monorail in Pattaya via Swampy? U-Tapao could then be closed as it would be redundant. 

15 minutes ago, chang1 said:

What is the point of joining airports with high speed trains? Much more sense to join the places that people want to travel between. 

To speed up international/domestic/international flights for tourism/business. 

16 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Why not join the 2 Bangkok main train stations to the monorail in Pattaya via Swampy? U-Tapao could then be closed as it would be redundant.

How many international tourists/businessmen travel by train? Pretty sure the idea is to expand U-Tapao including more domestic and international flights.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Pattaya is a place and does not discern in the slightest.... for the people of Thailand I doubt the slums of Soi VC hold much meaning unless they live there. Arrogant of Westerners to hold this country and it's people back over foreign nostalgia due their sense of fun over their old tatty crumbling buildings....

Thailand needs to modernize.

Yes and no. Would you modernise Stonehenge or the Tower of London? Modernisation is killing Pattaya. Large malls and hotels filled with Chinese along an uninviting beach is driving Farang away. Now the decline is in full flow the mayor thinks making everything shiny and new is going to bring them back. Then there is the problem of who will benefit in the end. Those with money will make money far more than those with small businesses that get pushed out. 

Sure you can bulldoze Stonehenge and replace it with yet another awful metal sculpture surrounded by big hotels but would anyone want to fly halfway around the world to see it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Walking street didn't exist as it is till the 90s, NOT the 70s. I was at the opening.

Doesn't matter if they tart it up or not. The destruction tarting up of Khao San Rd has been a failure, from what I've read.

"From what I've read" - you forgot to add "on TVF".

So repaving the road and pavements and adding bollards to stop encroachment by cars has destroyed KSR has it?  You do realise that that work was done during Covid when there are no tourists and we are still under Covid and there are still no tourists.  Would love the see the article you read that said the repaving has destroyed it.

Problem with TVF naysayers is they listen to all the other TVF naysayers, and most of the TVF naysayers have no first hand experience of what they are naysaying.  Perfect case in point.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

To speed up international/domestic/international flights for tourism/business. 

How many international tourists/businessmen travel by train? Pretty sure the idea is to expand U-Tapao including more domestic and international flights.

Swampy and Don Mueang are close enough to be connected by a normal sky train linked in with existing transport options. A high speed train will barely have got going before it has to stop. 

If businessmen and tourists won't use the train, then who will? 

If I landed at Swampy and wanted to go to Pattaya a direct high speed train would be perfect. Flying or taking a high speed train to U-Tapao and then looking for a bus or taxi is not better. It may work for businessmen going elsewhere or Chinese tour groups. 

International flights to U-Tapao will always be more expensive than flying to BKK and taking a taxi to Pattaya. Also no chance of direct flights from most countries. 

I would have thought businessmen would be a very small amount compared to the number of tourists going to Pattaya so why drop tourists miles away at an airport they could have flown to.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Swampy and Don Mueang are close enough to be connected by a normal sky train linked in with existing transport options. A high speed train will barely have got going before it has to stop. 

If I landed at Swampy and wanted to go to Pattaya a direct high speed train would be perfect. Flying or taking a high speed train to U-Tapao and then looking for a bus or taxi is not better. It may work for businessmen going elsewhere or Chinese tour groups. 

International flights to U-Tapao will always be more expensive than flying to BKK and taking a taxi to Pattaya. Also no chance of direct flights from most countries. 

I would have thought businessmen would be a very small amount compared to the number of tourists going to Pattaya so why drop tourists miles away at an airport they could have flown to.

Wow, you've really missed the point.   The HSR will connect Don Muang with Bang Sue (main train station), Suvarnabhumi, then go on to U-Tapao with some stops along the way - Pattaya being one of them where it will link with the monorail if it ever gets built.

Did you really think it's just going to airports?  If you're going to be so critical of something it's better if you actually know a little about it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Sure you can bulldoze Stonehenge and replace it with yet another awful metal sculpture surrounded by big hotels but would anyone want to fly halfway around the world to see it?

A Pattaya that does not change, will there be anyone willing to fly very far to see it in the future? It is stuck in the past, but I wonder if that will appeal to the next generation.... like it did to me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

So repaving the road and pavements and adding bollards to stop encroachment by cars has destroyed KSR has it?  You do realise that that work was done during Covid when there are no tourists and we are still under Covid and there are still no tourists.  Would love the see the article you read that said the repaving has destroyed it.

Problem with TVF naysayers is they listen to all the other TVF naysayers, and most of the TVF naysayers have no first hand experience of what they are naysaying.  Perfect case in point.

KSR was my first stop after arriving at Don Mueang. It was packed and full of energy a great way to start a 3 month trip. Gradually it has been modernised and the life sucked out. Last time I was there, about 3 years ago, it was just plain unpleasant. Now I avoid Bangkok completely when possible. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, you've really missed the point.   The HSR will connect Don Muang with Bang Sue (main train station), Suvarnabhumi, then go on to U-Tapao with some stops along the way - Pattaya being one of them where it will link with the monorail if it ever gets built.

Did you really think it's just going to airports?  If you're going to be so critical of something it's better if you actually know a little about it.

I stand corrected I didn't know there was other stops along the way. So it will hardly run at high speed for more than a few miles. 

19 minutes ago, chang1 said:

I was talking about existing internal lines, not the new lines.

20 minutes ago, chang1 said:

It's linking stations/new stations on the line, not just airport to airport direct. Hence the monorail being delayed due to changes to the new Pattaya station.

21 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Hence expanding U-Tapao into a larger international airport.

23 minutes ago, chang1 said:

See previous.

Look up the bigger project this is just a part of (EEC - Eastern Economic Corridor ... from memory, been a while since I looked into it but pretty sure that's what it's called).

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

A Pattaya that does not change, will there be anyone willing to fly very far to see it in the future? It is stuck in the past, but I wonder if that will appeal to the next generation.... like it did to me!

The point is it has its niche which can attract people and not just sex tourists as a lot of other attractions like street food can flourish. 

Then ask what will attract the next generation to a modern sanitised Pattaya that is no different to half the beach resorts in the world? 

How many people do you hear saying Thailand has become a great place to visit compared to 20-30 years ago (ignoring the exchange rate). Of those that say it has, ask them why is it better than Spain or Miami. 

Many tourists like to see things stuck in the past such as preserved villages. Even more so if they are actually still functioning as they used to.

It all comes down to supply and demand. If the girls have better options the supply will dry up. If the bar scene experience becomes unpleasant or places like Amsterdam and Eastern Europe offer something better/cheaper then demand will fall. 

The mayor thinks he is preparing Pattaya for the future and will say he was right as the last bar closes. In reality he could go either way. His way will finish off the bars but he could have kept them as the main attraction. Unfortunately he sees much more financial rewards from big business than small business. The risk is, like KSR, just because it looks nice and modern, doesn't mean people will want to travel thousands of miles to visit. Being so close to BKK means pattaya should be popular no matter what the mayor does. Will killing off its only stand out attraction be a good idea, who knows? I certainly don't. 

Edited by chang1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I was talking about existing internal lines, not the new lines.

It's linking stations/new stations on the line, not just airport to airport direct. Hence the monorail being delayed due to changes to the new Pattaya station.

Hence expanding U-Tapao into a larger international airport.

See previous.

Look up the bigger project this is just a part of (EEC - Eastern Economic Corridor ... from memory, been a while since I looked into it but pretty sure that's what it's called).

Points taken. I have not kept up and thought that it was just an airport link that would be later continued eastwards. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chang1 said:

The point is it has its niche which can attract people and not just sex tourists as a lot of other attractions like street food can flourish. 

Then ask what will attract the next generation to a modern sanitised Pattaya that is no different to half the beach resorts in the world? 

How many people do you hear saying Thailand has become a great place to visit compared to 20-30 years ago (ignoring the exchange rate). Of those that say it has, ask them why is it better than Spain or Miami. 

Many tourists like to see things stuck in the past such as preserved villages. Even more so if they are actually still functioning as they used to.

It all comes down to supply and demand. If the girls have better options the supply will dry up. If the bar scene experience becomes unpleasant or places like Amsterdam and Eastern Europe offer something better/cheaper then demand will fall. 

The mayor thinks he is preparing Pattaya for the future and will say he was right as the last bar closes. In reality he could go either way. His way will finish off the bars but he could have kept them as the main attraction. Unfortunately he sees much more financial rewards from big business than small business. The risk is, like KSR, just because it looks nice and modern, doesn't mean people will want to travel thousands of miles to visit. Being so close to BKK means it should be popular no matter what the mayor does. Will killing off its only stand out attraction be a good idea, who knows? I certainly don't. 

So long as the sun shines there will be a lot of us wanting to spend our cold winters there.If all the Gogo's and Massage places disappeared it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.If the Mayor of Amsterdam gets her way the red light District will be closed down,and moved to a so called erotic center on the edge of town.Enjoy your freedoms while you still have them.

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I am not sure why you keep defending the KSR disaster.......Please at least educate yourself by doing a YouTube search for Khao San road videos....Only videos posted in the last month...........

Ok we all know about covid...And I would not expect to see much action on KSR...But what has happened there goes way way beyond covid...KSR has been laid to waste ........Lovely metal posts lining the street,gives the place kind of a modern art prison feel......And the Nordic Fir trees, well that's a big ???

Edited by redwood1