Pattaya: The New Walking Street - so much more than just cable burying, says mayor

rooster59

38 minutes ago, Thechook said:

What sex trade?  THAI authorities have conducted numerous searches and haven't found a single piece of evidence in regards to a sex trade 

The authorities have chased tail there for a long time and haven't gotten any yet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The road surface was going to be completely renewed, he said and that included the drain and pipe covers. 

Isn't it the only Walkway in town that has not been washed away, collapsed or undermined by rains for many years.... so yes, get in those workers that continuously renew the sections of Beach Rd every few years. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Isn't it the only Walkway in town that has not been washed away, collapsed or undermined by rains for many years.... so yes, get in those workers that continuously renew the sections of Beach Rd every few years. 

Yeah, as I've noted before, I was here (on vacation) back in '98 when they laid the new drain pipes and that paving block surface. It lasted 20+ years with no problems (that I ever saw) from flooding or sinking but in all fairness, it didn't have the heavy (large truck) traffic that most other roads get or even the usual volume of lighter (car/truck) traffic.

Still, the drainage system (those "ancient pipes" that the current City Hall crew see to think served no purpose) did a good job and the street never had a wash-out or collapse (from the underlay being washed away) that I recall and I used to spend a fair bit of time down there for some strange, unexplainable reason.

And if they roof it (and figure out how to drain all that water from the roof to the sewers without causing a massive backwash) there probably will be even less traffic (vehicular) so the new surface may last just as long.
(Though that wouldn't be in anyone's interest now, would it ?)

You can always tell where the sewer drains are on Soi Khao Noi when it rains. If the road isn't covered in water you can see the drains. If the road is covered, you look for the fountains of water gushing up from the drains as the pipes can't handle the volume of water entering them (in addition to constantly being plugged by garbage and construction waste) and the backflow comes up and back onto the soi.

I can imagine that if they do put a roof over Walking Street (unlikely in my opinion), they'd channel all the rain into their new drain pipes. Can't quite figure out how they'd make a "dome roof" the length of the street though unless the "dome" just covered the street itself and even then, all the different sized buildings (and different distances between them and the street) would create a lot of problems trying to channel all the rain runoff. 
I can envision large "gaps" between the dome roof and the buildings which would end up creating curtains of water falling between the buildings and the street. I have large rain gutters and a small roof, but when the monsoons hit those gutters often overflow as there is just too much water entering them and the large (8cm ?) drain pipe can't handle it. As a result, the gutters fill up and spill over.

I can see the same thing happening with any kind of roof they try to put over Walking Street. 

But hey, it would be a costly fiasco that would require constant repair and maintenance and replacement for years to come so why not ?

13 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Walking street without bars and girls and music will be dead.

They know why people came to Pats. They don't know who will be interested to come Pas without Walking street as it was known in happy days.

They killed the golden goose - may be in future they will have a meager sparrow

it lasted as long as it did.We all had fun and good times for several decades. I for one did starting 90s in my 20s. Nothing lasts forever

• Like 1

About putting a roof over walking street.......

They wanted Khao San road DEAD for a long time and this roof thing was under very serious consideration for Khan San road to help move things in that direction....

They finally settled on lining the street with metal posts as a cheaper option I think, which did a nice job of helping to kill-off a already wounded Khao San.....

I cant think of a single positive thing that would come from putting a roof over walking street....If anyone can think of one I would sure like to hear it.....

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I cant think of a single positive thing that would come from putting a roof over walking street....If anyone can think of one I would sure like to hear it.....

All the world famous Mausoleums that I know of have a roof over them..It's not that unusual

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

They wanted Khao San road DEAD for a long time and this roof thing was under very serious consideration for Khan San road to help move things in that direction....

Wanted it dead?  Only in your paranoid head.  Almost built a roof over it?  No they didn't.

Hmmmm, allowing people to still walk down walking street when it's raining perhaps?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Mayor Sontaya was talking to Sophon Cable TV who published pictures of him giving a thumbs up by a large hole with brightly clad ladies on the left and officials in more somber tones on the right. 

The officials missed the Thumbs-up Count Down, while the ladies must have arrived with their thumbs in the upright position already.

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

They need to bury the sex trade as well

Why? Pattaya has been built on the sex trade. Take that away and there is nothing to go there for. Why should any European fly 5000 miles further than Spain to go to a boring shopping street? Pattaya needs to cater for the Chinese market now and prey it lasts. 

Being run down with bars and masses of "ugly" cables is not only very cheap to maintain but gave it its charm. People like me would make the effort to go and experience Pattaya but people like you have many places to go shopping and Pattaya will not stand out from most of them.

All this reconstruction will be very expensive, drive away what's left of the tourists and mean starting from zero. 

Pattaya had its uniqe place in the world and worked very well. This mayor is trying to turn it into something that can be found in many countries. 

I'm just glad I got to see Pattaya in its prime when I was in my prime even though I much preferred Lamai (around 20 years ago).

• Like 2

They could be handing out Free Gold Nuggets and that won’t be bringing back tourist later this year. They’re smoking their own stash again. 

It will take 2-3 years before any significant tourist industry reappears. Remember as Thailand has suffered economically, so has all other countries. They simply don’t have the disposable income to spend it on traveling. They’re hanging on by a thread financially. 

There’s a better chance of an elephant Stampede from Surin than there is Tourist reappearing this year. 

But the good news is that it gives the Govt plenty of time to make the required repairs. 

• Like 1