Sin sod query

Clive

1 minute ago, petermik said:

I,ve been lucky with my 3 wives here...all were happy with 5 million baht each at the ceremony...after the first two passed away through food poisoning I managed to get most of my money back,my present wife however is proving a little more troublesome and refuses to eat what I cook for her...time for plan B...anyhow good luck to the OP and give your chosen lady everything you can afford,take no notice of the skinflints on here :thumbsup:

you need to try harder mate ????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Airalee said:

Aren’t you putting the cart before the horse here?

No, not really. If I return to Thailand to live I'm going to be doing it with my eyes wide open

I'm the first to admit that I may be out of touch regarding certain things in Thailand but some things remsin the same like not buying property unless you are prepared to loose it etc. 

I hope this question does not come across as Thai bashing as it's not my intention. I have loved Thailand since I came here years ago but Thailand can also eat into your assets until you have none, but only if you allow it. 

Edited by Clive
Update
  • Like 2

Depends on 2 factors. Firstly your financial situation. Secondly the person you meet.  I have no children of my own and therefore had the resources to give sin sot.  My Thai wife comes from an educated family and used the funds as deposit on her own house and also to set up her own business.  That business has thrived through her hard work and I'm probably one of only a handful of men out here that don't pay her a monthly ' allowance '.

Final bonus is I live here rent free in her house.  I'm satisfied that the outcome was a sound investment on my behalf. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clive said:

No, not really. If I return to Thailand to live I'm going to be doing it with my eyes wide open

I'm the first to admit that I may be out of touch regarding certain things in Thailand but some things remsin the same like not buying property unless you are prepared to loose it etc. 

I hope this question does not come across as Thai bashing as it's not my intention. I have loved Thailand since I came here years ago but Thailand can also eat into your assets until you have none, but only if you allow it. 

Ummm....yeah....it is...really.

It’s one thing for a poster to come on and ask...

”my girlfriend and I are talking about marriage and the issue of sinsod came up.....”

whereas you seem to come across like...

EC9D9E3D-3C68-4F5B-A18C-B9018EB633B3.jpeg

Edited by Airalee
  • Thanks 1

Yes- in all the Thai engagements I have been to in Bangkok (between Thais) there is a sin sot.

About half a million to a million Baht if in Bangkok? More if wealthy and a mix of cash and gold necklaces/bracelets.

My understanding is most, if not all the sin sot is usually somehow returned to the bride and groom after the wedding to start their lives together.