Thailand records its first case of South African strain of COVID-19

webfact

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Hate to disappoint you, but up Khon Kaen, and Maha Sarakham, way, the locals are saying covid is rampant, they are terrified.

I used to rely on https://covid19.ddc.moph.go.th for information about which provinces were most severely affected. It was taken down "for rebuilding" several weeks ago. Does anyone know a good alternative?  The situation in Maha Sarakham is concerning, but I was not aware that there were active cases in Khonkaen at this time.

7 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

He didn't catch it in Tanzania.  We know this because Tanzania, along with Thailand's neighbors Lao and Cambodia, have no deaths and very few cases of Covid.

In the event anyone tries to claim Tanzania or Lao or Cambodia are fudging their covid numbers don't bother.  Just as in previous months when some accused Thailand of unrecorded covid cases, the "if Thailand has more covid cases then why aren't the hospitals full and why aren't there dead bodies in the streets" crowd quickly shouted them down.  Don't temp the same fate from this crowd since there are also no full hospitals or bodies in the streets in Tanzania, Cambodia or Lao, so their covid numbers must be correct.

Therefore he caught it in Ethiopia. 

I doubt that they will be able to prove that it was caught in Ethiopia as Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, biologist, public health researcher and official who has served since 2017 as Director-General of the World Health Organisation is a native of Ethiopia. That country is currently being sponsored by China for all its infrastructure projects and you do not bite the hand that feeds.

Those who have tried to mention the facts appear to be cut off or closed down.

On another note, my father passed away last week in a care home in the UK. He had been suffering from dementia for a number of years and his brain stopped working and he was unable to swallow any liquids. However, due to the fact that he tested positive in the care home for the SARS-CoV-2 virus on 20 January 2021 (asymptomatic!), he is now counted as one of the statistics who have had the virus within the 28 days before their death. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, multatuli said:

Several European countries also don't use it with +65 aged: it was never tested for effectiveness in that age group.

Yes it was but not in sufficient numbers to satisfy the regulatory bodies of some countries. But now that the UK has vaccinated 13.5 million people, most of whom are over 65, the evidence on its effectiveness will soon become apparent.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LALes said:

The Spanish flu actually started in the trenches of Europe during WW1.  Countries were reluctant to issue the numbers of deaths for fear of demoralizing the already demoralized troops.

When the King Of Spain caught the flu, they gave him the dubious accolade.

A few different ideas on the start of it.  One is that it started with a guy who worked on a duck farm then joined the US army and was sent to a training camp holding a lot of other trainees. From there it spread into Europe when they started being posted overseas. 

A few theories on its beginning  exist.

The fact that no real treatment existed at the time obviously didn't help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tandor said:

..it is believed by the many Health professional that the Cause of Death on the Death Certificate was declared, natural causes, upper respiratory disease, lung infection, etc. etc. without naming Covid-19 as the cause of death, because the Medical Practitioner certifying the Cause of Death does not request a full blood profile to determine whether Covid-19 was the actual cause. The result would take weeks as the specimen would need complicated virology analysis involving identification, RNA sequencing, Microbiology, further tissue and organ sampling. So, the bottom line is the Doctor avoids getting too involved by being specific. The doctor generalises in those cases where a person has not been in ICU or on a ventilator. A lot of these patients die many months later due to complications which are not explored in such a situation. The result is, the true numbers of deaths are not true!

same as in the western world where mostly everybody die is a covid death....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

yes mtls2005 that is the thing seems a few counties are just adding those figures to covid 19 because it easer to blame covid 19 (Chinese virus) for all sicknesses in there countries, there was a video in one country showing dead bodies everywhere and saying they all covid, but the bodies were skin and bone (starved), it is said covid kills fat people.

• Confused 1

..it is believed by the many Health professional that the Cause of Death on the Death Certificate was declared, natural causes, upper respiratory disease, lung infection, etc. etc. without naming Covid-19 as the cause of death, because the Medical Practitioner certifying the Cause of Death does not request a full blood profile to determine whether Covid-19 was the actual cause. The result would take weeks as the specimen would need complicated virology analysis involving identification, RNA sequencing, Microbiology, further tissue and organ sampling. So, the bottom line is the Doctor avoids getting too involved by being specific. The doctor generalises in those cases where a person has not been in ICU or on a ventilator. A lot of these patients die many months later due to complications which are not explored in such a situation. The result is, the true numbers of deaths are not true!

OK, but if it was/is Covid, why hasnt it spread rampantly from these cases?

Edited by SunsetT

9 hours ago, Ian C HH said:

So what IS the answer to the lack of deaths and empty hospitals IYHO? 
A sincere question because it’s baffled me for a long time. I don’t believe you can hide deaths and overflowing hospitals  in today’s transparent media without a Google gagging onset?

A new study -fascinating- explains those striking differences (between Asia... and the rest of the world).

Afterall... even if a few countries play with numbers... it's true that it would impossible to hide "full hospitals" in Thailand for instance. So what's going on ?

COVID-19 and Flu Pandemics Follow a Pattern: A Possible Cross-immunity in the Pandemic Origin and Graver Disease in Farther Regions

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7568123/

Its beauty is... its simplicity.

In conclusion, the COVID-19 pandemic and the three main flu pandemics in the last centuries follow a similar pattern: the farther from the pandemic origin, the graver the disease.

If this theory is true... then it opens another worms can... Why would the asian countries "play hard ball" with this virus (and destroying their economy)... if they are, litteraly, not affected by this virus ?

????

Edited by ChrisParis75
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

He didn't catch it in Tanzania.  We know this because Tanzania, along with Thailand's neighbors Lao and Cambodia, have no deaths and very few cases of Covid.

In the event anyone tries to claim Tanzania or Lao or Cambodia are fudging their covid numbers don't bother.  Just as in previous months when some accused Thailand of unrecorded covid cases, the "if Thailand has more covid cases then why aren't the hospitals full and why aren't there dead bodies in the streets" crowd quickly shouted them down.  Don't temp the same fate from this crowd since there are also no full hospitals or bodies in the streets in Tanzania, Cambodia or Lao, so their covid numbers must be correct.

Therefore he caught it in Ethiopia. 

You may be right but I highly suspect Tanzania, Lao and Cambodia post low numbers for several reasons:  a) relatively young populations so fewer severe cases b) lack of testing c) possibly attributing older person deaths to other causes (pneumonia, malaria, Dengue etc.) 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ian C HH said:

So what IS the answer to the lack of deaths and empty hospitals IYHO? 
A sincere question because it’s baffled me for a long time. I don’t believe you can hide deaths and overflowing hospitals  in today’s transparent media without a Google gagging onset?

Exactly , agree 100 % , no way you could hide all these deaths , and that's because ..No one is dieing  ! 

Thailand responce has been reasoned and logical , but at the end of the day this is a virus and it must be lived " with " .

Most of the world , in developed areas it's been handled poorly . Best place to be in the world ..Right here .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

You may be right but I highly suspect Tanzania, Lao and Cambodia post low numbers for several reasons:  a) relatively young populations so fewer severe cases b) lack of testing c) possibly attributing older person deaths to other causes (pneumonia, malaria, Dengue etc.) 

I agree , but the other way around .

Western countries reporting Covid deaths that are simply not , no flu , no pneumonia , no dengee ( where applicable ) just CV CV and CV .

Look at total deaths all causes ,also most older deaths occur with CV , just as may well have been the case , with flu .

Total deaths all causes .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Definitely a plausible explanation of why deaths numbers are at odds with the global Case Fatality Rate.Global CFR is 2.2% and Thailands CFR is 0.3%

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

All a vaccine needs to do, is prevent people from dying. If you get a bit sick but not dead, I would go with any vaccine with that as an outcome.

Yes, absolutely, I have been banging this drum for ages- glad I'm not the only one now saying it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LALes said:

The Spanish flu actually started in the trenches of Europe during WW1

From the CDC website:

"Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919"

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/1918-pandemic-history.htm

3 hours ago, multatuli said:

Several European countries also don't use it with +65 aged: it was never tested for effectiveness in that age group.

But importantly it is actually in millions of old arms in the UK, and seems to be comparable with the Pfizer jab. That's on the ground, in the hospital reality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chesterubi1 said:

4).  Cleanliness and habits. - Thais have always been quite clean and have habits that display that, no shaking of hands, no kissing of cheeks or even hugging, wearing of masks when ill (Been going on for years), etc

What say you on their habit of sitting around together for a communal meal where hands a mostly used utensils shared alcohol consumed from a single glass and much loud conversation and merriment?To me this would negate all other contributing factors for the low infection rate and low testing numbers would be a much more plausible reason especially when the Government has said they will not test in large numbers as it's too expensive. 

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Nobody actually knows exactly where

Yes, agree. I think the reason why many people (like me) associates the Spanish flu with USA is that all texts on the subject mentions that the first cases were detected in the US. But those text are mostly written by US writers. There were probably cases detected simultaneously all over the place, but not made as public as the US cases were.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I just love how nobody is able to call the virus the China virus but everyone is so eager to attribute the strains to specific countries. 

I'm calling the China Virus. 

It seems you just did call it the China virus as did I.But then I'm not nobody and so presumably neither are you.Do you know who nobody is?Just so I'll know whom they are!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Maybe nobody is related somewhat to Somebody?

Lol, you can't be partially related, you either are or you aren't. So, nobody must be a different genetic line of humans. That's why, nobody has so many asymptomatic cases.

• Haha 2