Thailand records its first case of South African strain of COVID-19

webfact

9 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I just love how nobody is able to call the virus the China virus but everyone is so eager to attribute the strains to specific countries. 

I'm calling the China Virus. 

100 %   It's a mutation of the China virus and as we all know it will continue mutating as viruses do......  So what's next ? We've got the British, Brasilian and South African ones......... But the truth is they all originated in China....      

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand finds South African COVID-19 variant in quarantine

2021-02-15T055711Z_1_LYNXMPEH1E06L_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

A health worker organises samples collected for further testing at Thanon Mitr Market, amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Bangkok, Thailand, January 19, 2021. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 143 new coronavirus infections on Monday and in quarantine detected its first case of the highly contagious COVID-19 variant first found in South Africa, its coronavirus taskforce said.

Two new deaths were reported, taking fatalities to 82, with overall cases at 24,714, the majority of which have come in the past two months.

The South African variant was found in a Thai man who had travelled from Tanzania and was undergoing the mandatory quarantine for all arrivals from abroad, the taskforce said at a briefing.

South Africa halted the planned rollout last week of AstraZeneca's coronavirus vaccine, which Thailand will use for its mass immunisation programme, after data showed it gave minimal protection against mild-to-moderate infection.

South African scientists say there is no clear evidence the variant is associated with more severe disease or worse outcomes, but say it spreads faster.

A World Health Organization panel last week said that AstraZeneca's vaccine should be deployed widely, however, including in countries where the South African variant may reduce its efficacy.

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat; Editing by Martin Petty)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-15

Just now, PGSan said:

What has the ‘forum rules’ got to do with naming it? 

It was just the way it was worded. "no one is able to". who is the "no one"? It wasn't going to be me, as long as no forum rule was broken. Does that answer your question?

4 hours ago, sandhurstmolonski said:

I agree , but the other way around .

Western countries reporting Covid deaths that are simply not , no flu , no pneumonia , no dengee ( where applicable ) just CV CV and CV .

Look at total deaths all causes ,also most older deaths occur with CV , just as may well have been the case , with flu .

Total deaths all causes .

Absolutely.  Covid has an extremely low mortality in healthy young to moderately aged people (Ive had it).  If this had hit the west around the time of the Spanish flue (which killed largely young people), it would have barely been noticed.  Many of the deaths from CV happen in people with a high risk of mortality.  Western countries are aging and CV is largely a disease of western countries.  The sad part is that it will hit hardest financially in developing countries whose economies wont  bounce back as easily. 

A post with a link to an unapproved social media source has been removed:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Well for a start, the man himself could have infected someone before testing.

All staff and officials meeting arrivals at Suvarnabhumi are in full protective clothing and they are transported directly to their ASQ hotel without contact with anyone else.

25 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

All staff and officials meeting arrivals at Suvarnabhumi are in full protective clothing and they are transported directly to their ASQ hotel without contact with anyone else.

Don't forget the plane load of passengers he travelled with on the plane.

10 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Hate to disappoint you, but up Khon Kaen, and Maha Sarakham, way, the locals are saying covid is rampant, they are terrified.

I'm back in the UK at the moment but according to my wife in Mahasarakham a doctor had it so there are a lot of contacts that may be spreading it. 

Not sure how many are terrified but it certainly seems to be a problem right now. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

We are where we are, its a bit late to be pointing fingers but I wouldn't place too much trust in the WHO's findings.

With about 5.6 billion fingers already pointing at China I'm not sure finger pointing was the (main) aim of the exercise unless something untoward has happened, it's possible some people want to know the exact origin for scientific reasons such as possibly preventing a similar event occurring or establishing an early response strategy no matter where the next event occurred.I think that the slow response to this event could have occurred anywhere in the world.Remember that the rest of the world dithered as much if not more than China by allowing international travel to continue for as long as they did.Personally I think the massive amounts of testing going on is making this pandemic seem much worse than many previous nasty pandemics and the way a covid death is defined is also contributing to this.We have not had the technology or will to test and count infections like we have been.I keep thinking about what the numbers would be like in the 1958 and 1968 pandemics where 1 million flu deaths occurred if we had the same testing and counting policies in place,I suspect they would be similar numbers to this pandemic.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

4 hours ago, PGSan said:

What has the ‘forum rules’ got to do with naming it? 

From one report I read the WHO named it  Covid 19  ( from 'CO'rona 'VI'rus 'D'isease 20'19' ) to avoid pointing to any particular country or area of origin.

All depends who is paying the bills I suppose.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

They caught him while he was infectious and after a flight with others into Thailand so sorry, it's a bit too late to claim Thailand is safe.

So he got it on or before the flight. All that came in with him had to do ASQ so I am sure they are all over those on that flight...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

it's possible some people want to know the exact origin for scientific reasons such as possibly preventing a similar event occurring or establishing an early response strategy no matter where the next event occurred.

And did they get it?  Will they?  Over 12 months have passed.

19 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

He didn't catch it in Tanzania.  We know this because Tanzania, along with Thailand's neighbors Lao and Cambodia, have no deaths and very few cases of Covid.

In the event anyone tries to claim Tanzania or Lao or Cambodia are fudging their covid numbers don't bother.  Just as in previous months when some accused Thailand of unrecorded covid cases, the "if Thailand has more covid cases then why aren't the hospitals full and why aren't there dead bodies in the streets" crowd quickly shouted them down.  Don't temp the same fate from this crowd since there are also no full hospitals or bodies in the streets in Tanzania, Cambodia or Lao, so their covid numbers must be correct.

Therefore he caught it in Ethiopia. 

Yes doctor

this Virus has been around for over 18.months before anyone knew what it was then they called the COVID-19 virus look what is happening now with  this strain now we can discover sooner.  Now did you know where the so called SPANISH flu started do your homework because you wont like the answer   

• Haha 1