Returning to Thailand. Visa advice needed.

I hope that some members will be able to share with me some of their experience and wisdom. I am sorry I am not up on visas, until I was caught on the wrong side of the border last March I had been living n the Kingdom for 9 years using retirement extensions of my original visa (whatever that was). Since then I have been staying in the UK with my young dual national son. With everything closed here he is gaining nothing from an extended stay in the UK so it's time to face the dreaded quarantine and get home.

I have done the research on COE and ASQs  and I think I'm clear on those.  I am in a bit of a fog as to what visa I can apply for to get back into Thailand. From the RTE London website it would appear that there are two options. Non-Imm O-A and Non-imm O for retirement. There is another option for visiting family for which I do have relevant documentation.

Regarding the O-A,  I could get all the documents together (including the police check and presumably the various tropical diseases certificate). Is this the best option for my circumstances?  The current 'O' based on retirement has less onerous document requirements but is shown as only 90 day maximum stay. I could try this and hope that the UK quarantine requirements have been removed by the summer. Has anyone any experience of getting such a visa extended? 

Of course, I could be looking in the wrong direction and there is a much simpler way back. Any guidance and advice will be greatly appreciated.

With the non O you would be given 90 day permission of stay upon entering Thailand.

In that 90 days you would obtain an annual extension. Of course it has financial requirements. 

I'm not a fan of non O-A given it requires ongoing rubbish insurance policy. 

Depends on you plans re how long to stay in Thailand.

This guy @Peter Denis has good advice on your options. 

Added note....I entered non o years back and have 800k year round in Thai bank. The subsequent annual extensions are a walk in the park. Could not be more simple and does not require the ongoing rubbish Thai  company health insurance.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Of course, I could be looking in the wrong direction and there is a much simpler way back

Some people that could obtain a non O in their own country are opting to enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain non O in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, sniggie said:

The current 'O' based on retirement has less onerous document requirements but is shown as only 90 day maximum stay. I could try this and hope that the UK quarantine requirements have been removed by the summer.

That suggests you don't want to stay long term.

How long do you want to stay in Thailand and what are your travel plans thereafter.

i.e. Regular trips between UK/Thailand.

If your planned stay is less than 5 months, then I'd suggest the 90 day single entry Non O Visa based on Thai wife/family (not retirement), which can be extended by a further 60 days to visit Thai wife/family.

If you intend to stay longer you can apply for a 1 year extension based on Thai wife/family. (Financial requirements apply)

The 400K outpatient/ 40K inpatient Health Insurance does not apply to the Non O based on Thai marriage/family.

Edited by Tanoshi

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

With the non O you would be given 90 day permission of stay upon entering Thailand.

In that 90 days you would obtain an annual extension. Of course it has financial requirements. 

I'm not a fan of non O-A given it requires ongoing rubbish insurance policy. 

Depends on you plans re how long to stay in Thailand.

This guy @Peter Denis has good advice on your options. 

Added note....I entered non o years back and have 800k year round in Thai bank. The subsequent annual extensions are a walk in the park. Could not be more simple and does not require the ongoing rubbish Thai  company health insurance.

Thanks for this advice. This would be my preferred option as it is the same procedure that I have done previously. I didn't think this was available at this time so good news that it is. I have been religiously sending 65k a month to my Bangkok Bank account over the past year (I have overheads in Thailand including a wife!). Maybe they will accept that but if not I can find the 800k to restart the process. I too had heard nothing good about the O-A visa and it would be a last resort for me.

26 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That suggests you don't want to stay long term.

How long do you want to stay in Thailand and what are your travel plans thereafter.

i.e. Regular trips between UK/Thailand.

If your planned stay is less than 5 months, then I'd suggest the 90 day single entry Non O Visa based on Thai wife/family (not retirement), which can be extended by a further 60 days to visit Thai wife/family.

Thanks, I do want to stay long term. However I didn't think that obtaining extensions based on retirement were available at present. Great news for me if they are.

1 minute ago, sniggie said:

Thanks, I do want to stay long term. However I didn't think that obtaining extensions based on retirement were available at present. Great news for me if they are.

Then I'd apply for the 90 day Non O Visa based on Thai wife.

Within the last 30 days of the 90 permitted at entry, you can then apply to extend your stay for 1 year based on Thai wife. (No idea why you would want do it based on retirement when you have Thai family).

For 1 year extensions based on marriage the financial requirements are less than retirement, only 40K monthly overseas transfers, or 400K in a Thai bank 2 months prior to the application date.

2 hours ago, sniggie said:

I hope that some members will be able to share with me some of their experience and wisdom. I am sorry I am not up on visas, until I was caught on the wrong side of the border last March I had been living n the Kingdom for 9 years using retirement extensions of my original visa (whatever that was). Since then I have been staying in the UK with my young dual national son. With everything closed here he is gaining nothing from an extended stay in the UK so it's time to face the dreaded quarantine and get home.

I have done the research on COE and ASQs  and I think I'm clear on those.  I am in a bit of a fog as to what visa I can apply for to get back into Thailand. From the RTE London website it would appear that there are two options. Non-Imm O-A and Non-imm O for retirement. There is another option for visiting family for which I do have relevant documentation.

Regarding the O-A,  I could get all the documents together (including the police check and presumably the various tropical diseases certificate). Is this the best option for my circumstances?  The current 'O' based on retirement has less onerous document requirements but is shown as only 90 day maximum stay. I could try this and hope that the UK quarantine requirements have been removed by the summer. Has anyone any experience of getting such a visa extended? 

Of course, I could be looking in the wrong direction and there is a much simpler way back. Any guidance and advice will be greatly appreciated.

With new strands of COVID popping up and the ASQ being such a money maker, I do not see quarantine requirements being removed by summer. I would plan for worse case and NOT best case.

• Haha 1

@DrJack54

I always believe it's better to be on the correct extension for your purpose of stay in Thailand.

The extension based on marriage requires a little more documentation, but it also allows you to work and the financials are less.

Whereas we have seen changes in the last couple of years for extensions based on retirement, i.e 800K for 5 months then 400K for the other 7, extensions based on marriage have remained unchanged, i.e.400K for 2 months.

Similar to the Non O 90 day Visa based on retirement requires the 400/40K Health Insurance, whilst based on marriage it doesn't.

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Similar to the Non O 90 day Visa based on retirement requires the 400/40K Health Insurance, whilst based on marriage it doesn't

The OP already has financials in place. In his situation I would enter visa exempt. Only the covid insurance to take care of and can obtain his non o at imm.

Just another option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

@DrJack54

I always believe it's better to be on the correct extension for your purpose of stay in Thailand.

The extension based on marriage requires a little more documentation, but it also allows you to work and the financials are less.

Whereas we have seen changes in the last couple of years for extensions based on retirement, i.e 800K for 5 months then 400K for the other 7, extensions based on marriage have remained unchanged, i.e.400K for 2 months.

Similar to the Non O 90 day Visa based on retirement requires the 400/40K Health Insurance, whilst based on marriage it doesn't.

Thanks for your advice. Many years ago (2011) my wife and I traipsed off to Chang Wattana to get an extension based on marriage only for the IO to make me cross out marriage and insert retirement, saying marriage was too difficult and my pension was more than enough!

13 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Thanks for your advice. Many years ago (2011) my wife and I traipsed off to Chang Wattana to get an extension based on marriage only for the IO to make me cross out marriage and insert retirement, saying marriage was too difficult and my pension was more than enough!

Some will state that the io stating it was too difficult was meaning more difficult for them.

I'm not so sure. If you have no intention to work and the required monthly income is easily met, then I agree with the io.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi, I did PM you a comprehensive Guideline document on how to stay long-term in Thailand when over +50 years of age.

Curious if I can get a copy of the guideline doc via PM as well since I'm beginning to research Thailand as potential location for retirement. TIA.

6 hours ago, Air1 said:

Curious if I can get a copy of the guideline doc via PM as well since I'm beginning to research Thailand as potential location for retirement. TIA.

Hi Air1 > requested Guideline document sent PM and you are welcome.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

10 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Air1 > requested Guideline document sent PM and you are welcome.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Thanks a bunch for the docs.  Cheers!

13 hours ago, sniggie said:

I too had heard nothing good about the O-A visa and it would be a last resort for me.

Contrary to many posters on the Forum, I have a totally different view on this.

Imo applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country will often turn out to be the very best option for long-term stay in Thailand.

The mandatory IO-approved 400K/40K health-insurance requirement that now comes with it, is neither difficult nor expensive to meet (if you know how).

The advantages of the Non Imm O-A Visa can be summarized as follows:

1 - NO need to visit a local Imm Office to apply for extensions of stay during the almost 2 years of stay the Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you;

2 - NO need to park or transfer funds to a Thai personal bank-account during those two years;

3 - During its 1-year validity the Non Imm O-A Visa is multiple-entry (and on each entry during that 1 year validity you will be once again stamped in for a full-year permission to stay).

>> So in short - two years of IO-hassle free stay when entering Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa.

And at the end of those 2 years, you can then

a) when returning to your home-country, apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa and repeat the 2-year cycle;

b) apply for a 1-year extension based on that Non Imm O-A Visa;

c) do a quick border-run and apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa with subsequent 1-year extensions.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP already has financials in place. In his situation I would enter visa exempt. Only the covid insurance to take care of and can obtain his non o at imm.

Just another option. 

Why enter visa exempt when he can get a non-O based on marriage?

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Why enter visa exempt when he can get a non-O based on marriage?

The OP stated previously for 9 years he had been obtaining extensions based on retirement.

In another post he stated that non o retirement his preference.

In another he posted that he had been sending 65k/month etc etc.

Everyone has their individual preferences.

Personally I would never allow some immigration officers to do a home visit. Apart from that the requirements for extension marriage is not as simple as retirement.

To each their own.

BTW ...I stated "just another option"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP stated previously for 9 years he had been obtaining extensions based on retirement.

He could apply for a extension based upon retirement with a non-o visa based upon marriage or being the parent of Thai.

There might be a few rogue offices that will say no but most would would do it since that would be their preference.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alidiver said:

Better wait until Lockdown has finished.
The RTE has suspended visa services to comply with UK Lockdown.
Things will probably change when they reopen.

They suspended in person services, not postal applications.

Sniggie:  I just returned to Thailand on a Non-O Multiple Entry one year Visa.  I applied for it in the USA.  It cost $200.00.  I have heard that different Consulates in different countries are doing things differently.  I'm in my last day of quarantine today.  Check with the UK Consulate to see if they will do the one year... maybe they will do it?

As you know Peter, I'm personally not a big fan of the Non O-A Visa, especially since they introduced the compulsory Health Insurance requirement and currently with borders closed utilising the second year entry is restricted. There are better options in my opinion.

19 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The mandatory IO-approved 400K/40K health-insurance requirement that now comes with it, is neither difficult nor expensive to meet (if you know how).

For those who already have a Health Insurance plan, this is just an unwanted, unnecessary additional expense.

1 - NO need to visit a local Imm Office to apply for extensions of stay during the almost 2 years of stay the Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you;

2 - NO need to park or transfer funds to a Thai personal bank-account during those two years;

3 - During its 1-year validity the Non Imm O-A Visa is multiple-entry (and on each entry during that 1 year validity you will be once again stamped in for a full-year permission to stay).

1. Still need to submit 90 day reports. It's far simpler to apply for a 1 year extension of stay, with less requirements, than it is to apply for the Non O-A at a Thai Embassy.

2. You'll find it difficult or expensive to withdraw overseas funds without a bank account. If your staying long term a bank account is essential.

3. Just where are you able to take advantage of this multi entry facility during this pandemic.

>> So in short - two years of IO-hassle free stay when entering Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa.

And at the end of those 2 years, you can then

a) when returning to your home-country, apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa and repeat the 2-year cycle;

b) apply for a 1-year extension based on that Non Imm O-A Visa;

c) do a quick border-run and apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa with subsequent 1-year extensions.

a). Your assuming everyone returns to their home Country every 2 years, most don't.

b) Which of course carries the compulsory Health Insurance requirement from entering on a Non O-A Visa.

c) Certainly not possible at this time, nor has it been for the last 10 months.

During normal times (no Covid) there would be cases where the Non O-A could be advantageous to certain groups, especially those who like to travel a lot. For the vast majority who have chosen to retire and stay long term in Thailand there are better options.

1. Non O single entry Visa, no medical certificate, no criminals record check, less financial requirement, then apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement with no requirement for that mandatory Health Insurance that's stuck to the Non O-A Visa. Those with current Health Insurance policies are not forced into requiring unnecessary additional Thai approved Health Insurance policies.

2. Certain Embassies, such as the US for example only offer the Non O-A for retirement purposes. In that situation entering Visa exempt, then changing to a Non O at Immigration followed by an annual extension would be my preferred option.

How many who originally entered on a Non O-A Visa, now finding themselves stuck with this mandatory Health Insurance requirement for annual extension of stay, would, if local borders be open, either;

a). Exit and re-enter with the single entry Non O Visa from a local Thai Embassy/Consulate, or.

b) Exit and re-enter Visa exempt > Non O > extension at Immigration.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, au82tiger said:

Sniggie:  I just returned to Thailand on a Non-O Multiple Entry one year Visa.  I applied for it in the USA.  It cost $200.00.  I have heard that different Consulates in different countries are doing things differently.  I'm in my last day of quarantine today.  Check with the UK Consulate to see if they will do the one year... maybe they will do it?

Based on marriage/Thai family. The US don't offer the Non O single or ME based on retirement.

The UK no longer offers the Non O ME, only the Non O single entry for retirement or marriage/Thai family.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Does that visa allow for 90 day permission of stay per entry? What happens after 90 days?

I rather think he's obtained the Non O-A ME Visa at 200USD.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Visa Processing Fees: $200 USD per application.

» Non-Immigrant Category “O-A” (thaiembdc.org)

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

As you know Peter, I'm personally not a big fan of the Non O-A Visa, especially since they introduced the compulsory Health Insurance requirement and currently with borders closed utilizing the second year entry is restricted. There are better options in my opinion.

Hi Tanoshi,

As you know I am a big fan of the Non Imm O-A Visa.  It has huge benefits and imo - in normal times - it is the ideal start for entering Thailand when wanting to stay long-term.

But I agree (and have advised people accordingly) that

1 - depending on circumstances and

2 - with current entry-restrictions

indeed there are better options available for entering Thailand and wanting to stay long-term.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Tanoshi,

As you know I am a big fan of the Non Imm O-A Visa.  It has huge benefits and imo - in normal times - it is the ideal start for entering Thailand when wanting to stay long-term.

But I agree (and have advised people accordingly) that

1 - depending on circumstances and

2 - with current entry-restrictions

indeed there are better options available for entering Thailand and wanting to stay long-term.

Hi Peter, as you know I have a slightly different opinion.

The Non O-A Visa is ideal if you intend returning to your home Country frequently, or at least every 2 years, to obtain another O-A Visa and you have no previous Health Insurance policy. It requires a criminal record check and medical as well as the now compulsory (Thai approved) Health Insurance.

I can only use the Thai Embassy London as an example of costs;

Non O-A Visa fee £150.

Medical cert and criminal record check approx £50-80.

It's ME and each entry grants 1 year permission of stay. (Can get 2 years stay).

Total £200 - £230. (+ possible Visa and travel fees to enter an adjoining Country and re-enter to take advantage of 2 years stay)

Non O Visa (if available).

Fee £60.

2 x yearly extension applications 3,800 baht (equivalent £91)

Total cost £151.

Advantages of Non O over Non O-A.

1. Cheaper to stay for 2 years in Thailand.

2. No hassle obtaining criminal record checks or medical certificates.

3. No compulsory Health Insurance for annual extensions.

Disadvantages of Non O/Extensions over Non O-A.

Requires re-entry permits if you intend to travel.

Agree, each individuals circumstances has to be taken into account and availability and choice of Visas offered in their particular Country, but in most cases the Non O (in my opinion) will fit the needs of more potential retirees to Thailand, than the O-A Visa.

In the majority of cases it's a no brainer for me to recommend the Non O Visa.

Even if the Non O wasn't available from your home Country Embassy, I'd probably recommend the VE entry, then Non O > annual extension at Immigration over the Non O-A Visa in most cases.

The fact you state you don't need to open a bank account and deposit funds in a Thai bank with the Non O-A Visa, is again factually misleading in my opinion. Regardless of how you stay in Thailand Immigration have a financial requirement in order to stay. Nowhere in any Police orders does it state it's OK to keep funds in an overseas bank account.

This fact becomes relevant,  as most of those who have stayed long term already, using Covid extensions and now (or in the future) applying for annual extensions of stay based on income are being asked to provide 12 x monthly overseas transfers.

Why? - because that is Thailand's financial requirement to stay long term, and the fact they haven't been regularly making monthly overseas transfers means they are not in compliance with the financial requirements based on income.

If they don't have the relevant funds to deposit in a Thai bank, they will eventually be forced to leave.

• Like 1