Thai PM defends submarine purchase and explains causes of huge public debt

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, Sailboat32223 said:

Not sure if the abacus is a Chinese invention but I like it.

Invented by the Chinese and could be considered a tool and/or machine. Possibly has a good reputation with those who use them. Some claim to be able to calculate quicker using an abacus than a calculator.

????  

31 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

Invented by the Chinese and could be considered a tool and/or machine. Possibly has a good reputation with those who use them. Some claim to be able to calculate quicker using an abacus than a calculator.

????  

My son once took a test in high school using an abacus instead of a simple calculator. 

What is the status of the one sub on order? 

Will a Thai crew drive this sub from China to Sattahip? YIKES!

Did the RTN try to buy one or two more subs?

Gotta give the PM a participation medal for defending the purchase of a submarine, while the masses queue for handouts. 

Edited by mtls2005

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijMh1FmH7ZLiAKSntrL9iWNmTdyYhQ.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has defended the Royal Thai Navy’s 22 billion baht procurement of three Yuan-class submarines from China as being worth the taxpayers’ money, compared to the 24 trillion baht in maritime interests that Thailand is expected to gain.

Maintaining that the decision to purchase the submarines was based on national and public interests, he said that they will strengthen Thailand’s maritime capabilities.

He also defended the procurement of military equipment, such as night-vision goggles, for Special Forces as being necessary for national defence, adding that those who are not military personnel may not know how important modern military hardware is for the defence of the country.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-pm-defends-submarine-purchase-and-explains-causes-of-huge-public-debt/

then every got up and SANG out loud WE all live in A yellow submarine. yea yellow submarine for 20 minutes 

Let's think about this for a minute.  You buy subs from the mainlanders to protect against the mainlanders and such subs have embedded tracking software so the mainlanders can track such subs all while you pay them money so they can invade you by buying up parts of the country such as Pattaya.  

Me scratching my head.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Who is Thailand defending against with military weapons  other than its own people ?

King cobras, monitor lizards, and rogue elephants among other imminent threats. 

I suppose if I drove a submarine I wouldn't be so fearful of dying on the roads and would have ready resources at hand if somebody pi**ed me off. (do torpedoes work in air?) 

Parking would be a problem though and failed brakes could be catastrophic. 

On the upside helmet laws, masking, and social distancing issues I could just laugh off. Trucks for sure would get out of my way........ (or not) . 

Food for thought no doubt. Obviously I have time on my hands so I'll indulge myself. 

1 hour ago, Showtime said:

Let's think about this for a minute.  You buy subs from the mainlanders to protect against the mainlanders and such subs have embedded tracking software so the mainlanders can track such subs all while you pay them money so they can invade you by buying up parts of the country such as Pattaya.  

Me scratching my head.

The surveillance equipment comes at no extra charge for most Chinese products. No worries mate. 

It would be unusual for the PM of a relatively insignificant country to say out loud "We have to protect ourselves against Malaysia or Singapore." That would cause an uproar.

While toys for the boys may be inevitable, perhaps spending more on mitigating a worse Covid crisis would have made more sense. However, it is their country so let the Thais continue to rail in frustration until they do something.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

My question is this. If the extremely toxic and dangerously timid army are unwilling to take any risks whatsoever, with regard to Covid, why are they spending 22 billion baht on submarines? Obviously there is some risk in operating subs, and even more risk if as they say, they are purposed to protect against terrorist threats and any threat in the South China Sea. The real budget is more like 13 billion baht for the first S26T Yuan Class sub, due in 2013. And the real cost for the subsequent two? Thai naval forces have not operated submarines for over 60 years now, while neighboring countries, particularly those with a major dispute at sea with Thailand, such as Vietnam, are all equipped with modern submarines. 

Looks like they are willing to take a huge risk with the treasury. Why so timid with Covid? These subs will end up unusable and unaffordable, as did the aircraft carrier. There is no strategic justification for the submarines. There is really no military threat to Thailand, none of the countries with which it shares a land border have the capacity for anything other than the occasional cross border firefight. If you look carefully at all the military procurement of recent years, they are all to support ambitions, and thus buy the support of the various rival groups within the armed forces. They simply do not add up to any sort of a coherent modernisation or re-equipment of what remains a largely obsolete, immobile and under trained force, able only to undertake the most mundane of garrison duties, whilst it's bloated leadership occupies itself with playing politics or their own largely unregulated business ventures.

The censure motion is a beautiful thing. What these guys should be asking is:

1. How can you demonstrate to us, that you are up for the task of leadership?
2. What are you doing to prove that you can and will protect us?
3. Instead of contact tracing us, how about we trace you, and make sure you are doing your job? How about you report to us daily, and let us know how you are handling and containing this epidemic that happened on your watch? Stop talking, and start working, and doing your jobs.
4. Why did you not prevent this? How did you allow these corrupt officials to let infected people in? Why is nobody in a position of power being arrested? Why aren't heads rolling?
5. Why are you not making the vaccines more of a priority? Why isn't the army sacrificing some of its huge budget for the people? 
6. What are you planning on offering the people in the way of assistance, so they can survive this disaster you helped create?
7. Can you demonstrate to us why you think Anutin, who has no background whatsoever in the filed of health, is up for the task of tackling this emergency?
8. And why are you shutting down so many businesses, yet you allowed ground zero to remain open to people coming and going since this latest outbreak happened, only closing the province down yesterday? Why such bad decisions, and such extreme incompetence? How do you justify that? How do you explain that? Thousands of cases emanated from Samut province. You knew that would happen. 
9. How about a compulsory level of competence and experience, for all future administration appointments to key positions?
10. Why have you been so hard on foreigners, making it so incredibly difficult to fly in, yet so lax on the borders?
11. Why should we allow you to remain in power? What have you done lately to deserve that power? 

Too much serious thought on a topic that is well and truly beyond any public judgment or penalty, most especially by farang. 

Not that you're actually wrong about any of it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijMh1FmH7ZLiAKSntrL9iWNmTdyYhQ.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has defended the Royal Thai Navy’s 22 billion baht procurement of three Yuan-class submarines from China as being worth the taxpayers’ money, compared to the 24 trillion baht in maritime interests that Thailand is expected to gain.

Maintaining that the decision to purchase the submarines was based on national and public interests, he said that they will strengthen Thailand’s maritime capabilities.

He also defended the procurement of military equipment, such as night-vision goggles, for Special Forces as being necessary for national defence, adding that those who are not military personnel may not know how important modern military hardware is for the defence of the country.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-pm-defends-submarine-purchase-and-explains-causes-of-huge-public-debt/

How gulllible does this Guy think everyone is?

21 hours ago, Pengo2001 said:

The gulf of Thailand has an average depth of not more that 50 meters. Can a bigger sub even hide and operate in such a shallow envrionment?

It`s not meant to hide..it will be a tourist attraction :clap2:

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Extra scrutiny and comment is most definitely required when the Thai military has recently wasted taxpayers' money on:

• The blimp to monitor insurgents in the South which was ineffective and is now retired from active service
  • The GT200 bomb scanners which were in fact novelty 'golf ball finders' sold in comic newspapers in the UK and US (Thailand was the second biggest procurer after Iraq I believe)
  • Sea-harriers which they could not operate or keep airworthy

And now they are buying Chinese submarines.

Hardly 'bashing', there's plenty of evidence that the Thai military does not make purchases based on requirements or threat response. 

thai bashing, you couldnt care less for thai national defense,

just opportunistic spam of negative comments

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Night Vision Goggles are hardly a state of the art procurement for the Defence of the Nation.

With all this Military Hardware being purchased ( Subs, Coastal Patrol Vessels, APC ,s , Night Vision Goggles Etc Etc Etc. )

Who exactly is Thailand being threatened by, or is it just an expensive case of "Boys with their Toys " and Paranoid Xenophobia.

• Like 1