Thai PM defends submarine purchase and explains causes of huge public debt

snoop1130

10 hours ago, scammed said:

the average depth in baltic is 50 meter as well,

and sweden has  submarine production

Sweden got Russian subs (and other vessels) to contend with. What's the actual threat with regard to Thailand?

Also, Sweden makes excellent, small, very quiet subs. More fit for conditions and needs. Not quite what Thailand is buying.

As for depth, I got this explanation once - there's the average depth, and then there's the average operational depth. Meaning that in some seas/locations the sub cannot be safely operated near the sea bed as it would seem. Got to do with the the composition of the sea bed material, which can effect several systems and components. Apparently this holds for the Gulf of Thailand as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morch said:

What's the actual threat with regard to Thailand?

Maybe one day the poor majority will rise and attack the rich......................haha, no, just joking, the army would shoot them and the submarines would be on standby miles away! 

as a leader gets older; a submarine becomes more relatable... 

- as submarines have bigger bladders

and so much better for holding your defences against incontinencal ballistic missiles dropping...  

6 hours ago, scammed said:

thai bashing, you couldnt care less for thai national defense,

just opportunistic spam of negative comments

Pretty easy, is'nt it! :jap: :thumbsup: As for national defense, that's THEIR problem, not any farang!

Edited by PatOngo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Pengo2001 said:

The gulf of Thailand has an average depth of not more that 50 meters. Can a bigger sub even hide and operate in such a shallow envrionment?

I'm sure the Chinese will have hidden tracking devices on them anyway, so the regions main competitor for 'maritime interests' will always know where they are.

• Like 1

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is a world leading military strategist. Deemed even smarter and greater than Carl von Clausewitz. The world need to listen to Khun Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha as he is one of the very few men that are leading the world out of darkness and into the light.  

42 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I'm sure the Chinese will have hidden tracking devices on them anyway, so the regions main competitor for 'maritime interests' will always know where they are.

yep... at the beginning of each sortie

- the Captain is heard yelling; 

"Anchors ahuewai me hearties"

Looking at the map of Thailand it would be virtually impossible to move from the Gulf to the Andaman sea?

Maybe not so during peace but when at war certain canals would be blocked.

So you need two,one for each side.

Very safe,they can never run into each other.

You see with a little explanation you can fool many people.

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has defended the Royal Thai Navy’s 22 billion baht procurement of three Yuan-class submarines from China as being worth the taxpayers’ money, compared to the 24 trillion baht in maritime interests that Thailand is expected to gain.

Spend 22 billion and get 24 trillion back, good economics spend 1 and get a million back, wish I could do it, but where is the 24 trillion coming from "maritime interests" does it mean that China is giving Thailand some Islands that are not Thai owned, or some cruise ships maybe there is glut of them at the moment or ???

On top of that, he explained that his government has to set aside 20 billion baht to account for losses caused by the failed Uah Arthorn housing project, also initiated by the Pheu Thai party.

Had to look this one up ,this was aTucksin idea providing cheap housing for the masses , yes there was some corruption ,but they were also some susses they is a Moo Bann ,village, near me ,ok only 60% completed, but people are living there  ,buying they own home .so I have been told 500 baht month for 25 years  .

If this present government had completed the project they would not be this debt ,money would be coming in. But as it was a Tuksin idea it was knocked in on the head ,as soon as this lot took over .

I spent several years in the US Navy in an Squadron that one of our main responsibilities was Anti-Submarine Warfare.  The systems we used are now outdated but I would love to have been deployed to take out these Subs.  With their capabilities and where they will operate I would expect to be able to take out one a day.  On a lucky day I would get two.

What a waste of money!  And useless here!