Pattaya: Mayor opens some more floodgates - but still praises his improved drainage system

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Pattaya's embattled mayor Sontaya Khunpluem told Manager after the devastating floods on Wednesday that his system was working but he promised to open a few more floodgates.

If the complete flooding of Pattaya was his system working well, I'd hate to see what failure looked like

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya's embattled mayor Sontaya Khunpluem told Manager after the devastating floods on Wednesday that his system was working but he promised to open a few more floodgates.

I thought he had enough of those already.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

He needs to wake up, his system is clearly not working, maybe if the money meant for drainage was actually spent on drainage it would be a massive step in the right direction.

In all fairness the people making the decisions have no more knowledge of drainage systems than I do of brain surgery so you cant really expect more than the current situation

• Haha 1

Thai politicians - they make most of their money from their failures. With the country being a perpetual police state, regardless of whether there's a civilian or military government nominally in charge, is it any wonder that so many things seem so ludicrous to us farangs? 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

There was a lot of water, he said, running off from the upper areas of Pattaya and what with Soi 5 being low lying it was unable to cope.

When does the building of a dam wall start on Soi 5?  ????

Edited by Leaver

15 hours ago, webfact said:

He still asked Manager to believe that his system was working however. 

Look how quickly the water subsided, he offered. 

Also by the same way of thinking - Look how quickly the sand disappeared ..............LOL

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, PatOngo said:

There's this sneaky invention that has been around for generations, it's called the "pump" do some research, boy!

Have the ones that were located around soi 5 or 6 been removed..? There used to be a few of the great ugly things there ready to go. I expect they got hit by the Thailand testing bug, 'if it don't work don't mind'.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Have the ones that were located around soi 5 or 6 been removed..? There used to be a few of the great ugly things there ready to go. I expect they got hit by the Thailand testing bug, 'if it don't work don't mind'.

Soi6 has new pumps as well as South end. As shown the floodgates are down to block water coming into sump from drain pipes under beach road that delivers floodwaters from 2nd rd and from  East. The new project also drains into this sump at right angles. This is too much water coming into the junction and with water level high in sump the water from beach road pipe will not empty fast enough. So as shown large portable pumps are required. 

IMG_20210220_100926.jpg

IMG_20210220_100842.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:17 PM, webfact said:

Pattaya: Mayor opens some more floodgates - but still praises his improved drainage system

10pm1.jpg

Picture Manager

Just an hour of rain on Wednesday afternoon left great swathes of the resort under water including Beach Road.

This left many to say what about all the drainage work that has been carried out from the Dusit Thani to Walking Street.

10pm3.jpg

Picture Manager

Mayor Sontaya had a ready answer - he blamed Soi 5.

There was a lot of water, he said, running off from the upper areas of Pattaya and what with Soi 5 being low lying it was unable to cope.

10pm2.jpg

Picture Manager

He promised some adjustments to the points along beach road and in Soi 5 so that it will work better in future, especially with the rainy season not too far away on the horizon.

He still asked Manager to believe that his system was working however. 

Look how quickly the water subsided, he offered. 

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-19

10pm.jpg

He was only joke-in you see if you ware Blinders there No 3ft of  water flowing down the street. look for yourselves? as i go along my merry way singing,( I am singing in the rain)  

On 2/20/2021 at 11:43 AM, morrobay said:

Soi6 has new pumps as well as South end. As shown the floodgates are down to block water coming into sump from drain pipes under beach road that delivers floodwaters from 2nd rd and from  East. The new project also drains into this sump at right angles. This is too much water coming into the junction and with water level high in sump the water from beach road pipe will not empty fast enough. So as shown large portable pumps are required. 

IMG_20210220_100926.jpg

IMG_20210220_100842.jpg

Taking another look. The pumps are taking water at the sump junction inline with the beach rd drainpipe and the under beach rd pipe that meet at right angle. So I don't know what the flood gates shown are for?