Extending the visa exemption

I have to get to Thailand in an emergency situation right now - within the next 3 weeks, and with the 2 week quarantine i am rushing around to work out the best way to get there. I need to be in Thailand for at least 4 months, as i have my best friends wedding in June - so i plan on staying so i don't have to do the quarantine twice ! 

I contacted the Thai Embassy in London, who have told me it will take around a week (maybe longer) for them to process a visa into my passport. However, they have advised me i can apply for a visa exemption whilst in Thailand for 45 days, which may facilitate me getting to Thailand urgently. 

So the crux of my question

1) Once in Thailand how do i navigate to get to stay for 4 months, whilst arriving on the visa exemption?

2) Is it even possible to stay thing long and going through 'the process' to stay 4 months?

2) Do you have a link of reputable agencies in Thailand who can do this for me, and what would be the approx sort of costs involved? 

The last thing i need is for me to get to Thailand, do the quarantine, and only to realise i have to leave because i have visa issues - and then have to repeat the quarantine again in June !  Thanks for any help in advance, this website is amazing for a resource of information ! 

You can obtain 30 day extension to visa exempt. After that you could apply for 60 day covid extension/s (currently only issued till end of March however almost certainly will be extended.

Your question re agents. They could obtain a non O (volunteering) you dont do any volunteering. They can also obtain 12 month extension. Seems you don't need the extension.

The non o gives a 90 day stay.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain 30 day extension to visa exempt. After that you could apply for 60 day covid extension/s (currently only issued till end of March however almost certainly will be extended.

Your question re agents. They could obtain a non O (volunteering) you dont do any volunteering. They can also obtain 12 month extension. Seems you don't need the extension.

The non o gives a 90 day stay.

Hello Jack, is this NON 0 visa pretty easy to obtain? It's not a scenario where it's touch and go you could get it? 

Secondly, what are the approx costs involved? 

I am bringing my 3 year old daughter with me - so would she be able to obtain the Non O visa? (sorry should have mentioned this in original post). 

7 minutes ago, AnnieSeek said:

Hello Jack, is this NON 0 visa pretty easy to obtain? It's not a scenario where it's touch and go you could get it? 

I am bringing my 3 year old daughter with me - so would she be able to obtain the Non O visa? (sorry should have mentioned this in original post). 

I have no idea about children, but it is easy to get a volunteer visa.  It will cost about 55,000 baht for a year visa.  It costs about half to get whatever visa you come here on converted to it but good for only 2 (or 3?) months ...so like 25000.  I trust my agent implicitely.  She has had chances to get me to pay much more when I'd asked her advice about the volunteer or taking covid extension, and she was honest while other agents were trying to get me to convert immediately.

If you want the contact PM me and I'll get you her info.

But, if I were you, and you only need 4 months.  I would take the max time on your tourist visa, and then see what they are saying about covid extenstions when it's time to renew.  If there is none, you have the fall back of the more expensive volunteer visa, but you can spend much more time here...

...and you just might want to spend more time here.  All the resorts are blissfully* empty with super rental bargains and traffic free roads. 

*I hope this changes for the sake of business owners and the economy.  But it is the positive side as a renter in these areas.

10 minutes ago, AnnieSeek said:

I came into Thailand in March 2020 on a visa exempt.  Thailand granted 2 COVID visa amnesty.  In September 2020, I paid an agent 20k baht for a 90 day visa extension (in Thailand).  Not entirely sure why category this visa was, my best guess is that it was for medical reasons.  Yes, it was easy, pay the money, provide a few passport photos.

I have been granted 2 visa extensions since, directly from the immigration office.  1900 baht each, 60 days each, 3 trips to the immigration office each.  I would be surprised if you couldn't get an extension in-country.

If you want to get to Thailand as quickly as possible, plan to enter visa exempt, and immediately book the flight and ASQ hotel and Covid insurance necessary to apply for the Certificate of Entry. This avoids needing to send your passport to the embassy for them to affix a visa. Once in Thailand, there will be ways to extend your permission to stay at immigration. Depending on decisions made over the next couple of months, you may or may not require the services of an agent to facilitate the extension(s).

OP, few good posts above. 

I also agree with BritTim thinking that covid 60 day extensions will be available ongoing.

Re your 3 year old....take advice from the experts (I'm not ont) just note that your daughter would not have consequences for overstay.

Can't see why she couldn't obtain covid extensions also. 

Archived