B2 - proof of return - round trip ticket

GF will be applying for B2 to the US in a month or so, planning on a few months there.

We've been assembling stuff to show she fully intends to return - she's 50, owns a business with bank records to prove it, long term lease, owns property, money in the bank, strong family ties. I'm here now on a non-O good through December 2021, have been coming as a tourist for 5-6 months every year since 2014, now I have a long term lease, money in the bank, insurance, drivers licenses, will have my re-entry permit. Going there to prepare my house to be rented, have a tenant lined up, and get back here before winter comes to Montana. 

We've been advised that one of the most compelling pieces of 'proof' is for her to have a round trip ticket. But have also been told that it's not a good idea to buy the ticket till the visa is approved, because it might not be and the airlines are not required to refund for the ticket.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

DS

2 hours ago, MrKFC said:

it's not a good idea to buy the ticket till the visa is approved, because it might not be and the airlines are not required to refund for the ticket

there are many web sites and airlines where you can book a ticket without paying the full amount, or pay anything at all.

for example KLM and TURKISH allow you to reserve a ticket for 3 days for just 20-30 USD.

so you canbook it, show it to the embassy, than cancell it.

1 hour ago, andy said:

... not asked for in the application form and is not asked for at the interview

Something that doesn't seem to be agreed on by everyone is what's 'asked for at the interview' - wondering what your experience was.

The embassy and the law firms all say that an 'invitation or sponsorship letter' is a required piece, especially for someone who doesn't show enough in the bank to cover all expenses, and that's the case here. 

But a couple people in this and another forum have said nobody asks for it. 

I'm thinking it's better to have it and not need it than the other way round - so I put one together to show that I have assets, commitments here and I'm definitely returning too - will include current bank statements, passport history etc. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

DS

1 minute ago, andy said:

"Sponsorship" or "Invite" simply does not exist for a B2 visa, period.  Law firms can't really "do" anything to help for a B2 visa, so I'm not surprised they make up their own criteria...  I think people mix up requirements with fiance visas (which obviously do need sponsorship).  There is a spot on the B2 application form where you can put down who/how will the trip be financed.

Here is what the state department website has to say about this: (bold is mine).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Got it, thank you, finally something that's clear and 'official' 

Just now, andy said:

That thing is a monster and extremely thorough, covering just about everything (set aside a few hours for finishing it).

We found an example to print - 84 pages - both English and Thai.

GF has a good friend who has a B2, is fluent in English and we're going through it. 

Our plan is legit, neither of us has any desire to stay in the US, just trying to be sure we don't overlook anything that might help.

GF isn't fluent in English by a long shot but has enough that she can deal with the handful of farang customers just fine.  

When my wife got her B2 visa in 2018, the interviewer was more interested in seeing my passport than the documents my wife brought to the interview. We did not know that this would be in important item and she did not have it at the interview, but it seems that you are aware that the interviewer may want to know about your ties to Thailand as well. 

Best of luck.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:47 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

When my wife got her B2 visa in 2018, the interviewer was more interested in seeing my passport than the documents my wife brought to the interview. We did not know that this would be in important item and she did not have it at the interview, but it seems that you are aware that the interviewer may want to know about your ties to Thailand as well. 

Best of luck.

This is a topic where I've been seeing remarks that are inconsistent with each other - some say my history is not relevant but another guy said that his wife's first application was denied primarily because he didn't provide sufficient passport history.

So I found a good outline for a 'sponsorship/invitation letter' and I used it to put one together that details my visits to Thailand, includes bank info, my medical and dental history here, lease agreement, reason for the trip etc, photocopies of relevant stuff and she'll have it all - including my passport - when she goes. Better to have it and not need it than the other way round I think. 

The only potential glitch with my own passport history is that it only goes back to 2014, have been here for several months every year since then. I arrived in Bangkok, got through Immigration, no problem, got on a plane to Chiang Mai and when I got to the hotel I had no passport. ?!?!? Was an extremely interesting sensation in the gut, to say the least. I was coming to have pretty extensive dental work done here and was able to get the new one issued before that was finished. I checked with US Embassy to see about getting the old records before she applies, but has to be done by mail, they say at least 12 weeks for processing if you're in the US, and we'll be applying before then. I think that was my 3rd trip to Thailand, the one before was 2007. Hopefully that doesn't cause a problem. 

Archived