Jai Words

stevehaigh

maybe this has been covered before but i was wondering about the exact meaning of naawy jai น้อยใจ.

i found it at http://thai-language.com anyhoo, it means to be easily irritated or offended.

however, type ใจ into http://thai-language.com and you'll get a pretty extensive list of jai words, very cool. maybe you know some that aren't on the list?

steve

p.s. i mistyped the subject title and i can't seem to edit it! sorry

Edited by stevehaigh

Off-topic, but this doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for:

Was researching the tangled web of Thaksin's crimes, and came upon his son's pathetic testimony to the Assets Committee: "I don't know anything. Ask my Mommy..."

(Yeah, we figured as much, "Oak." Not exactly sturdy as an oak, but a father can dream, I guess...)

Anyway, does anybody know how to say "Mama's boy" in Thai?

There's gotta be at least one phrase for it, considering, well, look around...

Full disclosure: there are millions of them in my home country, too, so nobody should be offended. They're everywhere, all over the world.

Cheers.

น้อยใจ means to feel slighted/ to feel inferior

The example I was given before was if you gave a present to one child but not the other then the second child would feel น้อยใจ

Thai people always use the word "ลูกแหง่" which mean ungrown person. We call boy or girl who is excessively attached to his or her mother even when they are adult. Do you think it's the same as Mama's boy in English?

Thai people always use the word "ลูà¸à¹à¸«à¸‡à¹ˆ" which mean ungrown person. We call boy or girl who is excessively attached to his or her mother even when they are adult. Do you think it's the same as Mama's boy in English?

By your explanation, that sounds exactly right.

I guess a translation might be: "a grown man who refuses to leave the nest." Another colloquial phrase in English is: "He hides behind his Mama's skirts."

In Thai, I might have tried to say: "puu-chai dtoh dtit mae" - but I suppose that wouldn't have made any sense to anyone, except to me.

Thanks again, khun yoot :o

Edited by mangkorn