Is It Still Worth Moving To Thailand?

chang

I also think it is wrong to point the finger at the Thai enforcement and revision of visa regulations as the sole cause of distress to people at the edge of the financial means to remain in Thailand. The huge swings in the Thai currency we have seen over the past year are as much a challenge to expat incomes and financial security.

Huge swing in currencies ? When I first came to Thailand in Sept 2003, 1 euro bought 45 baht. It buys 47 now. Indeed the $ weakened, but it weakened all over the world. I remember however that in 2004 1$ bought 38 baht , now 34.5 , a 10% baht revaluation in 3 years is not that terrible.Many people here considers the $ fall from 42 , but that exchange level was after the baht got beaten by crude oil increase in 2005/early 2006.

About the visa shake up, for many farangs it is not a matter of money , but of no visa options at all , after 3 million baht investment visa has been deleted.

2004 was an interesting "USD/THB" year:

post-35218-1179366185_thumb.png

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that graph shows a huge change in the US dollar to Thai baht.

But lets look at it in real terms. It has been a HUGE change of 2.8 baht to the dollar. (max - min)

So by my estimates you would need to change 11$ before you even noticed a difference of a bowl of noodles on the street.

Or working the otherway (50,000bt seem reasonable monthly living amount)

50,000bt at low point = 1287$

50,000bt at high point = 1200$

Now maybe it becomes quite significant if some of you guys are extremely well off, and changing lots of money, or play the forex. Or

Chang, I mentioned 50K B as a comfortable ball park figure for me. I think in Euros anyway and the small ups and downs, as you say, have little impact on a figure like that. But I've been there on a very tight budget once or twice, and after an accident or worse still theft, it's not much fun trying to make out on peanuts until your flight home is due. You tend to fall into the company of people as hard up as yourself and that's when life in paradise gets hard.

Guesthouse.

Very sorry for any offence caused, it was not my intention to offend.

I feel a foreigner in my own country, I dont have a problem with imigrants in general if they are bringing something to the country. Far to many come to this country claiming to be skilled, then end up putting lives at risk because they aren't.

With the UK being a soft touch with all sorts of benifits available it has become a haven to scroungers from many parts of the world with no intention of working ever as the state will support them. The goverment seems to bend over backwards to assist immigrants get everything in this country, but when you are born and bred here you have to fight to and nail to try and get anything.

I live in Wales, where most of the road signs are written in English, not Welsh. On top of that there are now Polish road signs appearing, still no Welsh ones though.

There have been numerous cases of immigrants crying rape/torture/persecution in their own country, moving to the UK, commiting horrific crimes (2 that spring to mind are a child rapist and a convicted terrorist) and due to the rediculous way that Europe operatres we are powerless to send them back to their own country in case they are persecuted.

To me it is no supprise the BNP is starting to become more popular.

If this make me racist, then i'm a racist. But my criticism is aimed at the goverment not the imigrant for taking full advantage of a dumb govenment opening the doors to all.

Again sorry for any offence caused, it is not said to be malicious or mischevious. Many people in the UK would be affraid to openly say what I have said for fear of the PC police.

edit****

This is only to try and get the feel of people to see if it is really worth the hassel anymore of moving to thailand. I would be able to have and income of £650/month from investements now, and a civil service pension of around £700/month in 15 years time so retirement is possible,so I would only need a little job (with work visa) to stop me getting to bored.

I feel same as you, i am 62 years old i am lorry driver travel all over this country think i am in Pakistan most places i go, coming up to retirement and fed up with this country and all we have to put up with ,and all of my friends all around my age feel same.Been to Thailand on holiday for the last 8 years and love the people and country. Friend went to live out near Korat 5 years ago married a Thai built a house said he could manage well on a 100 pound a week then. I read on different sites about Thailand and how much they have to live on teacher in Korat 25000 baht a month and she could save out of that

im just a regular guy living holidaying in thailand.

im just wondering happy jack can you explain the situations you get into where you need so much help.

I'm sorry - I don't know what I was thinking - I never in my life need help from anyone. I am a rock, I am an island!

They change the rules often, so it sounds complex, but a good lawyer can figure out what and how to deal with all or any of this in minutes. Once you know what kind of visa you qualify for and how to apply, it is easy. I have been through three rules changes in three years but none have been very onereous. Cannot imagine a more Farang friendly place.

However, I have not tried to run a business here, so if you plan to open a business here ignore my comments...

I have been reading through lots of post regarding "new" visa regulations, and marraige requirements - abiltiy to prove income etc.

I really love Thailand but it looks like there are so many hoops to jump through now I was wondering if people thought it was still worth the hassle.

A friend of mine had a shop then a bar and is now seriously thinking of leaving Thailand.

So should I give up on Thailand and try moving to a more ferrang friendly country. Maybe Laos or Vietnam??

Chang.

PS

If you going to flame dont even bother posting.

Anybody considering a new start in any foreign land should read up a lot on local law, permits, medicare and the attitude of the local people. And always have a fallback plan. Whether you're running from something or just looking for a better life, it pays to make sure that your new refuge has more to offer than what you're leaving behind.

GH, That may be so, but at least here in Thailand it is still not an offence to voice your dislike of foreigners as it is in the UK, otherwise than in the privacy of ones own home. This is meant as no disrespect to yourself or anybody else whose parents may have come to England as immigrees and I suspect have become a normal member of UK society. But when you have had many generations before you, born and bred in the UK, then and only then do you have sufficient ancestral input and insight into the problems that are currently only just below the surface, which the OP has discussed. Why even the previous mass influxes of the Hugenots during the 17th century and later,the Jewish mass influx pales into insignifcants against the 7-8% of recent times. The real British are a reserved lot and traditionally do not stir until their backs are against the wall, and then they tend to bite back rather firmly.

However for those people whose family are British through and through, it is evident that in many areas this has had an adverse impact on the British way of life and things are changing for the worse in many areas, thus giving rise to the OP consideration of moving elsewhere as 243,000 British people have done on a permanent basis recently. Indeed this problem is reflected in the current UK's policy of introducing "Britishness tests" for would be legal permanant immigrants. The tests are rubbish apparently but that aside it is acknowledgement that something must be done.

The only reason that mass, uncontrolled immigration has been welcomed is owing to their attractiveness to unscruplous employers who pay less than the legal minimum. The UK government for years, decades in fact, has turned a blind eye as they are bank-rolled ultimately by those businesses and financial institutuions that have ultimately benefited, albeit indirectly from this stance, but only stirs when 21 of them get drowned thro' illegal activities.

However let us not go down the road of discussing the rights and wrongs of UK immigration and its cause and effects. The issue is "is it still worth moving to Thailand". Well I must agree with many of your comments on that point although your financial ascertations I would consider open to considerable debate dependant upon ones expectations and required lifestyle.

As for getting work in Thailand then it appears that the op has skills in the telecoms sectors whilst in the RAF. My advice would be to make doubly sure that any country, whether it be Thailand or anywhere, appears to meet your perceived needs, expectations and future lifestyle requirements before making a permanent move. Then, as employment is still required, as is the case here, attempt to gain employment on an Expat basis prior to settling here. If he succeeds and lives within the bounds of normality, than he surely can have a good and better lifestyle here.

No money, no fun, no where.

Edited by gummy

Thank you Gummy.

As the son of immigrants to the UK I am very proud to defend the tolerant society that we British are so proud of.

And so you should, having been sheltered from discrimination and injustice by our strict PC rules all your life. I probably suffered more discrimination than you as a son of Irish immigrants. The UK wasn't quite so PC in the good old days.

And so you should, having been sheltered from discrimination and injustice by our strict PC rules all your life. I probably suffered more discrimination than you as a son of Irish immigrants. The UK wasn't quite so PC in the good old days.

You are making a number of assumptions, all of them wrong.

Anyway, sorry to hear you had it tough, but be assured it was not me that picked on you, and not through any sense of Political Correctness.

(We must have a tutorial on what Political Correctness actually is some time)

just google UK anti discrimination laws and see for yourself how the UK has progressed.

Indeed it has, but you don't need to look at google. Walk into almost any company in the UK these days and you'll find it staffed with mixed races, genders, ages. We don't see football crowds throwing bananas at black players these days, and likewise racial abuse in the street is a thing of the past.

Multiracial Britain is booming, ecconomically and cutluraly. New people coming in, new ideas, new energy and all this enhanced by traditional British values of tolerance and acceptance.

I'm extremely proud to be part of that, and proud too to defend it.

I absolutely love the UK - Its the finest country on the planet.

I'll keep to my choice of Germany. UK's okay but for me life is better here, better pay and job prospects and no chavs where I live. And fresh air, I only notice when I visit England how much cleaner Germany is. They might consider the pollution issue some time soon, now they've got the discrimination issue squared away.

just google UK anti discrimination laws and see for yourself how the UK has progressed.

Indeed it has, but you don't need to look at google. Walk into almost any company in the UK these days and you'll find it staffed with mixed races, genders, ages. We don't see football crowds throwing bananas at black players these days, and likewise racial abuse in the street is a thing of the past.

Multiracial Britain is booming, ecconomically and cutluraly. New people coming in, new ideas, new energy and all this enhanced by traditional British values of tolerance and acceptance.

I'm extremely proud to be part of that, and proud too to defend it.

I absolutely love the UK - Its the finest country on the planet.

GH,

I may be older than you and for that I am thankful as I still like to keep up to date with UK events. Also it appears my rose tinted glasses must be of a far less tint than your own. May I suggest before you post such ridiculous rubbish on UK tolerance, such as, and your quote was " racial abuse in the street is a thing of the past" you spend far more time keeping in tune with the country you profess to love but clearly do not bother to educate yourself in current day to day racial affairs.

I enclose just one link as an example, there are many many more happening almost on a daily basis especially in London, Luton, Leicester, Bradford and Manchester which I have no need to post here. So perhaps your time could be more usefully spent fully understanding more about the current UK racial situation. With age comes awarness and a sense of finding out facts rather than "it would be nice if" ideololgical scenarios that belong in dreamland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_64...bw=nb&mp=wm

This link is directly linked to the nationality referred to by the original OP. Great Britiain was great but I suspect it's fall from grace is accelerated by those who may have a British Passport but have as much understanding of what being born British really means as they do understanding why they have their heads in the bucket of sand in the first place.

Apologies to the original OP as this has detracted from the original topic, but illustrates only to well why Thailand should still be considered seriously as an alternative country to live in, at least most Thais are not in self denial about the immigration issue which many so-called British appear to be.

Edited by gummy

One of the things that has helped me decide to not retire in Thailand, besides getting divorced, Is the tremendous value of the friends and connections I already have here.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel and moving to Thailand would be much like that.

I can work here a very small amount of time still pay my bills and go to Thailand pretty much whenever I want.

The move seemed like a good idea at one time but not now.

Everything happens for a reason.

PS Did I mention the weather here is near perfect and 10 minutes from the beach :o

First I am assuming your American living in California san diego correct me if I am wrong the problem I have living here now is the over inflatted thai baht as for investing in real estate or a business I highly advise you against that for one you can not own a home here and as for business the thai has to own 51 % and getting thai to work for you is close to impossible continue what you are doing coming here for vacation and having fun then go back home as for me I am stuck here now burned all my bridge's and spent all my money thank God I have a retirement pension I have a friend from the UK who is moving to Brazil check it out the next time you have a vacation i hear from him it a good place to go since you can own property there and visa are not a problem and if you get home sick the flights are short to the USA and not expensive also try costa rica another hot spot have fun

As you say Gummy, you are older than me, and as I mentioned in another post, things have moved on since your day.

I will however accept the correction to my statement 'Racial attacks in the street are a thing of the past"

Perhaps it would be better to say 'Racial attacks in the street are far less prevelant and are now specifically targeted by both the law and the police, this being an example of where the UK has taken possitive steps to bring an end to race hate crimes'.

Being older you may remember of course that the police force itself was until recently a den of racism. You'll remember the 'Sus' laws and how that was missused by the police force as a tool of police racial harrassment and you'll perhaps rember the regular antics of the National Front.

I urge you to make a trip back to the UK and see the very possitive changes that have taken place in recent years.

Great Britiain was great but I suspect it's fall from grace is accelerated by those who may have a British Passport but have as much understanding of what being born British really means as they do understanding why they have their heads in the bucket of sand in the first place.
You and I will have to disagree on this. I see no fall from grace, quite the contrary, I see a very much improved Great Britain.
Apologies to the original OP as this has detracted from the original topic, but illustrates only to well why Thailand should still be considered seriously as an alternative country to live in, at least most Thais are not in self denial about the immigration issue which many so-called British appear to be.

I guess that is you expressing the British values for which you are the self appointed defender.

Get over yourself Gummy, Britain has changed, is continuing to change and young people in Britain are embracing the new multicultural Britain that you so despise.

Edited by GuestHouse

Gummy, thanks for the salient input.

That's what I meant when I wrote about UK "progress"in the fight against racism.

I feel for the Poles because I see a lot where I live, close to the Polish border.

And the "jobs" they are taking from Germans are the most menial you can imagine, which the Germans have laughingly refused, because they get more dole than a Pole can earn working 90 hours a week.

Poles are looked down on here too but at least they're not attacked, the Germans are spectacularly disinterested.

I also know how Poles and other East Europeans are being cynically exploited in England for chump change.

That's how much credibility Guesthouse should be attaching to "racial equality" in the UK, it's all about exploitation.

He never had to suffer this indignity and that's why he's blind to any discrimination beyond his own ethnic minority.

Sorry if this post too is off topic.

But lets look at it in real terms. It has been a HUGE change of 2.8 baht to the dollar. (max - min)

Now maybe it becomes quite significant if some of you guys are extremely well off, and changing lots of money, or play the forex. Or

Chang,

the graph shows the year jan-dec 2004 only. if you look at jan 2005 to date you get a completely different picture!

post-35218-1179559786_thumb.jpg

I'll keep to my choice of Germany. UK's okay but for me life is better here, better pay and job prospects and no chavs where I live. And fresh air, I only notice when I visit England how much cleaner Germany is. They might consider the pollution issue some time soon, now they've got the discrimination issue squared away.

Hi quertz.

Respects, always enjoy reading your posts. I lived in Germany on and off for 9 years but due to the nature of employment always felt like an "outsider looking in". I could speak good "scnell Imbiss german" but very little "Hoch Deutch" a beautiful country but spoilt by IMO largely insufferably pompous people enjoying a standard of living which although enviable is probably unsustainable. That said I loved the food, beer and escaping to the Hartz mountains.

I agree with you that if you have a reasonable Job then that's the place to be. As for myself I reached my mid-life crossroads at 50 in the UK, my decision to "fork off" to Thailand was one that 12 years later I still don't regret. Now 62 & married with a Thai wife and 2 young children, life feels worthwhile.

Even more so as I have enough income pension-wise to put me in the B50K range. That means I can live comfortably "my needs are simple" without having to work, and can enjoy my kids childhood.

So my advice to anyone considering living in LOS, Don't unless you have an income sufficient to cover what you feel is a good lifestyle and a little extra. Everybody has different needs and standards so before "burning bridges", try it for a year or two and find your own level. Lastly if you can't get a yearly extension visa then your stay here will be on poor foundations.

By the way qertz does the tatoo on your right arm give a hint as to former employment?

Nibor, sounds like you were building trade or similar.

Itinerant workers in Germany are mostly looked down on and it's not so much a question of nationality as of class.

Germany has snobs too.

I moved to West Berlin for a woman (she's history) and didn't like it at all but then the wall came down and I went east.

They didn't need my experience as a Xerox technician - but very few there spoke English as it hadn't been taught much in the schools. So I did what the successful farangs in LOS do, studied the language for 3 years and qualified as an interpreter and translator.

I earn well here as a teacher too but I waited for a year or two before I burned all my bridges in Blighty.

Of course, I don't have visa probs here and I'm a long term tax and insurance payer.

Things are more clear cut here than in LOS and I have all the rights that a German enjoys.

And I get as much respect as I give.

I don't have the Thai life but my life here funds my long stays in LOS and Oz.

If you can't have everything, settle for what you've got, IMO.

Edited by qwertz

Nibor, sounds like you were building trade or similar.

Itinerant workers in Germany are mostly looked down on and it's not so much a question of nationality as of class.

Germany has snobs too.

I moved to West Berlin for a woman (she's history) and didn't like it at all but then the wall came down and I went east.

They didn't need my experience as a Xerox technician - but very few there spoke English as it hadn't been taught much in the schools. So I did what the successful farangs in LOS do, studied the language for 3 years and qualified as an interpreter and translator.

I earn well here as a teacher too but I waited for a year or two before I burned all my bridges in Blighty.

Of course, I don't have visa probs here and I'm a long term tax and insurance payer.

Things are more clear cut here than in LOS and I have all the rights that a German enjoys.

And I get as much respect as I give.

I don't have the Thai life but my life here funds my long stays in LOS and Oz.

If you can't have everything, settle for what you've got, IMO.

Hi quertz.

No not construction, armoured vehicles are more useful for the opposite effect. However we were still considered on a par with "Guest Workers" hence my rather biased opinions.

The advice for staying in LOS was not aimed at you but rather at Chang, you've already sorted your "lifes direction".

Respects and live long.

Chang,

the graph shows the year jan-dec 2004 only. if you look at jan 2005 to date you get a completely different picture!

And this is all my customers remember. I bet it is also the same for most other companies that have customers from overseas. Most will say the pound is stable but even my UK customers ask for prices in US$.

I cant believe the amount of advice I've received.

Kop Khun Mak Mai (best I could do without Thai script installed on my non-microsoft computer)

All advice graciously received. I'm very much like the idea of going to school and learning to read/write Thai properly and becoming an interpreter. This was an avenue I'd not even considered. I do appriciate the effort it takes to learn a new language, it will be much tougher than any of my academic qualifications, but hey nothing ventured .......

So many questions and things to do, but only one lifetime to do it. I just hope I don't waste it on maybe and should have.

Well still not entirely sure what to do, guess I will have to............................................

Chang