Is It Still Worth Moving To Thailand?

chang

I have been reading through lots of post regarding "new" visa regulations, and marraige requirements - abiltiy to prove income etc.

I really love Thailand but it looks like there are so many hoops to jump through now I was wondering if people thought it was still worth the hassle.

A friend of mine had a shop then a bar and is now seriously thinking of leaving Thailand.

So should I give up on Thailand and try moving to a more ferrang friendly country. Maybe Laos or Vietnam??

Chang.

PS

If you going to flame dont even bother posting.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am in Thailand (as my base only) and I love it, but I would not mind Cambodia.....a litte bit more of pionering I think...

This is like to ask: don't want responses....

I really love Thailand but it looks like there are so many hoops to jump through now I was wondering if people thought it was still worth the hassle.

It all depends on your personal situation.

How i started off here, being on continuous 3 months single entry tourist visas (that was before the 1 month visa on arrival was available) and working illegally for several years until i managed to qualify for a work permit is not that easy anymore, if not impossible.

I have been reading through lots of post regarding "new" visa regulations, and marraige requirements - abiltiy to prove income etc.

A friend of mine had a shop then a bar and is now seriously thinking of leaving Thailand.

So should I give up on Thailand and try moving to a more ferrang friendly country. Maybe Laos or Vietnam??

Chang.

PS

Chang, not many lands are completely farang friendly. Emigrating is a rocky road. Look at the alternatives first. I even had problems as a Brit in Germany; ask others on this board for their take on being expats. Why aim at LOS if you're not in love with the place? I wouldn't and you're voicing much the same reservations as me. My adopted land is good for most things and is also secure. It also allows me to earn enough to visit LOS once or twice a year. I doubt if I could earn enough in LOS to visit Germany twice a year.

Chang.

PS

Chang, not many lands are completely farang friendly. Emigrating is a rocky road. Look at the alternatives first. I even had problems as a Brit in Germany; ask others on this board for their take on being expats. Why aim at LOS if you're not in love with the place? I wouldn't and you're voicing much the same reservations as me. My adopted land is good for most things and is also secure. It also allows me to earn enough to visit LOS once or twice a year. I doubt if I could earn enough in LOS to visit Germany twice a year.

the hoops souldnt be a problem if you want to be here,dont listen to all the negativity that goes on at tv ,its really not that bad ,if you got money then theres not a problem ,and it dont have to be a lot of money to live here :o

Chang.

PS

Also depends of whether you come alone or with family. If you come alone is much easier.

Thais can manage well with a small busines as they do not need to pay all the expenses required to farangs. Many farangs buy businesses that are simply unviable. Small bars and shops among them...

If you do not have good money to buy a business that can be long term viable, then perhaps it is better to assess 'qwertz' idea of using LOS for long holidays, but not as final destination.

I have been told that Cambodia is much more farang friendly, but I suspect also that it may be other issues apart of being a very poor country.

An alternative is to plan a year visit (with all the problems associated with visa run) and check the place and your own posibilities. This will give a much clear picture whether moving to LOS is for you feasible.

You will find many experts who have never done it, others who have succeded and want to tell you how good they are, others who will tell that things are bad and others that things are good. My suggestion is to verify by yourself whatever you have been advised and told and see if applies to you.

One of the things that has helped me decide to not retire in Thailand, besides getting divorced, Is the tremendous value of the friends and connections I already have here.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel and moving to Thailand would be much like that.

I can work here a very small amount of time still pay my bills and go to Thailand pretty much whenever I want.

The move seemed like a good idea at one time but not now.

Everything happens for a reason.

PS Did I mention the weather here is near perfect and 10 minutes from the beach :o

Friends, Pepe that's what makes it home, also why I could never break my ties to Germany now. It took long enough to break off ties with England but I'm not so far away if I want to visit my family now and then. LOS is still number for a holiday though.

Edited by qwertz

Friends, Pepe that's what makes it home, also why I could never break my ties to Germany now. It took long enough to break off ties with England but I'm not so far away if I want to visit my family now and then. LOS is still number for a holiday though.

--------------------------

Yes things are getting clearer now as I'm already REALLY ENJOYING my new found freedom.

I hope we get to meet over the holidays on my annual one month excursion.

Nothing like Christmas in Pattaya :o

Good Health,

Pepe'

Honestly my first choice would be Vietnam to live. I only live in Thailand because my wife is Thai and loves her country (mine does nothing for her she lived there for 10 years) I love Thailand too don't get me wrong but..... I have done a lot of research on Vietnam and I love it, my advice would be to visit and see what you think. One thing to take into consideration in South East Asia in religious fanatics fighting for more land, internet access and how many hours a day the water and electric stay on.

It comes down to the depth of commitment you're prepared to make. If you rent an apartment, maybe buy a motorbike and a few cheap sticks of furniture you're not really settled are you? I did this in Laos then one day packed my traps and walked away. I did the same in the PI then left again. Here in Thailand I've built a house, bought a new car and I ain't going nowhere, I don't even think about it because I can't; I've bought land through my Mrs as an investment and I can't take that with me so here I am.

IMO and experience NO Country REALLY likes immigrants. They only tolerate them for one reason or another.

After years of visiting I have retired here, and mostly it's fine. I couldn't live so well in the UK as I do here, and the warm weather is great.....yes even the HOT Weather is fine!

The cost of living is rising true, but it's still cheap, and if you have a decent pension coming in each month

you don't have to watch every penny like in UK now.

As far as starting a business is concerned. Well it's a lottery. Some Farangs do well, but most lose EVERYTHING!

Finally, we can't advise you. You have to bite the bullet........I wish you well.

Thailand is fun but it's illogical. If you like fun and don't care about quality, justice, improving society, etc then come to Thailand and enjoy. But remember that Thailand is illogical. Thailand is illogical. It's illogical. But it can be fun.

Edited by Aujuba

Thailand is fun but it's illogical. If you like fun and don't care about quality, justice, improving society, etc then come to Thailand and enjoy. But remember that Thailand is illogical.

If you love Thailand than welcome aboard, but if you want to change everything, stay home in your own

$%^&*^% country! :o

(I was inspired by the , "If you don't love it, then leave it thread!) :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Thailand is fun but it's illogical. If you like fun and don't care about quality, justice, improving society, etc then come to Thailand and enjoy. But remember that Thailand is illogical.

If you love Thailand than welcome aboard, but if you want to change everything, stay home in your own

$%^&*^% country! :o

(I was inspired by the , "If you don't love it, then leave it thread!) :D

-------------------------------

Now that's profound...

Thailand is fun but it's illogical. If you like fun and don't care about quality, justice, improving society, etc then come to Thailand and enjoy. But remember that Thailand is illogical. Thailand is illogical. It's illogical. But it can be fun.

Western countries are illogic too...delinquency, abuse of drugs, corruption, unhappiness, loneliness, etc, in circumtances that they have the resources to do it all perfect.....

For me unhappiness, young delinquency, widespread in some western countries, it is just totally illogic and unjustified...

Thailand is not like a western country. It is an asian country with its own culture, a developing country that struggles with its political, social and economical problems......and it is tropical (some even complain about the wheather)....

But in the message you are right....do not expect to find what you want, as you want it in here.

One thing to take into consideration in South East Asia in religious fanatics fighting for more land, internet access and how many hours a day the water and electric stay on.

what about the quality of the beer? :o

One thing to take into consideration in South East Asia in religious fanatics fighting for more land, internet access and how many hours a day the water and electric stay on.

what about the quality of the beer? :o

Now there's my pet peeve. If only they would learn to manage the beer I could live with everything else.

Thailand is not difficult as a place to move to provided that you can meet the visa requirements, which are extremely clear, and while they have changed, are not now and never have been really onerous.

The problem is that lax enforcement of the laws that have always existed has lead to the belief that Thailand is an extremely cheap destination for retirement or emigration; thereby attracting immigrants and retirees who are at the limit of their financial resources to remain in Thailand.

It doesn’t matter where you emigrate or retire to, if you are at the limit of the financial means to remain there then your life there is going to be precarious.

The mistake Thailand makes in its professed aim of attracting wealthy immigrants and retirees is that people with substantial wealth have a whole lot more desirable options.

I also think it is wrong to point the finger at the Thai enforcement and revision of visa regulations as the sole cause of distress to people at the edge of the financial means to remain in Thailand. The huge swings in the Thai currency we have seen over the past year are as much a challenge to expat incomes and financial security.

It’s all about money.

If you are comfortably above the minimum income then you can live comfortably anywhere (Thailand included).

It’s also been said many times, the biggest single mistake foreigners make when moving to Thailand is to be undercapitalized.

Big thanks to all who took the time for sensible replies.

Reading back over my original post, and from reading replies I guess the info I gave was a bit sparse.

In past 5 years I have stayed in Thailand for 6 months total (1month per visit) last 2 years recovering from cancer so unable to travel.

While I dont disagree with the "... Visa requirements, which are extremely clear...." comment, are they actually attainable as there seem to be loads of horror/problem stories. Maybe they are attainable if you are extremely rich. On the whole they seem to be designed to actually try and stop people moving to Thailand by placing huge hurdles in the way. I know I will be corrected if i'm wrong but i beleive a huge part of the Thai economy is tourism, be it short term, or long term "Visa run" types. (according to the CIA world fact book if i've read it right)

I didnt realise there had been big swings in the baht, for the last few years it seem to have been between 65 and 75bt to the pound, maybe i havnt been paying close enough attention.

I am confused by the "If you dont love it post", I said "I loved it", just not really keen on jumping through all the hoops, I am usually very stubborn and will cut my nose of to spite my face. But this attitude changes when dealing with Thai people.

I work as an Aircraft maintenance technician(civillian) for RAF (radio, radio, instuments etc) so would probably be lookng for the same sort of work. Will have to post jobs section for help and advice as i've been looking for about 4 months now and cant even find out where aircraft maitenance is carried out in Thailand. I am on a low income £25, and if I wanted to purchase a house now in the UK I couldnt even get on the property ladder.

I have become very dis-illusioned with the UK and would give up my British citizenship in a heart beat, and in my opinion it is turning into a third world country, we let immigrants in unchecked then when they commit crimes we are almost powerless to deport them, the government do nothing but lie, the police tackle minor crime at the expense of major crime to boost statistics, i cant see me doctor without a 7 day in advance booking, I havnt got a dentist - no NHS in my area (rant over, as the blood is starting to boil) If i'm going to live in a third world country I might as well live in one that doesnt pretend its anything else.

Yes I know Thailand has many of the above problems also, but it has the quality of life that I could never hope to achieve living in Wales. The people are warmer and more friendly, wealth is relative. I know I could never earn the same money in Thailand as the UK or europe, but again quality of live cant be bought.

I think it would be worth appraising yourself of the actual visa requirements, and in particular the work permit requirements before deciding on a move.

A point not to miss is what I said about the mistake people make on being undercapitalized when they move to Thailand.

Well paid, secure jobs for foreigners are extremely hard to find in Thailand. Therefore your plans to move to Thailand securely must be based on having enough capital/income outside of Thailand to maintain your life in Thailand AND maintain you within the visa rule income requirements - Not just now, but for all the time you want to live in Thailand.

If you find a job, all well and good, but you should not expect to do so, you should certainly not base your income plans on having a job in Thailand - You very likely will not find a job in Thailand.

For the vast majority of people moving to Thailand getting a job in Thailand that pays enough to keep them and build savings for future retirement is not achievable.

A classic mistake is to forget that an income now in Thailand must also provide savings to maintain life in Thailand after retirement.

Perhaps a bigger mistake is underestimating expenditure after arrival in Thailand. Marriage in Thailand is not inevitable, but it almost always happens, with all the costs that brings. Without a job in Thailand, those costs really do eat capital at a frightening rate, and as I say above, a job is almost impossible to find.

The discussion of how much money is required to move to an live in Thailand is frequently brought up here on TV, the answers are as varied as the length of a piece of string.

My view is that a single guy moving to Thailand needs capital amounting to at least 20 times the minimum fund to get a visa + GBP100K for all the additional costs of a marriage and family.

----

I've read your comments on immigrants to the UK. As the son of immigrants to the UK I find them offensive. Perhaps your own emigration to someone else’s country will teach you a thing or two on that front.

Edited by GuestHouse

Quote Chang: I have become very dis-illusioned with the UK and would give up my British citizenship in a heart beat, and in my opinion it is turning into a third world country, we let immigrants in unchecked then when they commit crimes we are almost powerless to deport them, the government do nothing but lie, the police tackle minor crime at the expense of major crime to boost statistics, i cant see me doctor without a 7 day in advance booking, I havnt got a dentist - no NHS in my area (rant over, as the blood is starting to boil) If i'm going to live in a third world country I might as well live in one that doesnt pretend its anything else.

Guesthouse where's the offence? Chang stated the facts and gave them as his reasons for seeking out a better life. I agree with you however that he'll get a different take on life by emigrating.

Edited by qwertz

Guesthouse.

Very sorry for any offence caused, it was not my intention to offend.

I feel a foreigner in my own country, I dont have a problem with imigrants in general if they are bringing something to the country. Far to many come to this country claiming to be skilled, then end up putting lives at risk because they aren't.

With the UK being a soft touch with all sorts of benifits available it has become a haven to scroungers from many parts of the world with no intention of working ever as the state will support them. The goverment seems to bend over backwards to assist immigrants get everything in this country, but when you are born and bred here you have to fight to and nail to try and get anything.

I live in Wales, where most of the road signs are written in English, not Welsh. On top of that there are now Polish road signs appearing, still no Welsh ones though.

There have been numerous cases of immigrants crying rape/torture/persecution in their own country, moving to the UK, commiting horrific crimes (2 that spring to mind are a child rapist and a convicted terrorist) and due to the rediculous way that Europe operatres we are powerless to send them back to their own country in case they are persecuted.

To me it is no supprise the BNP is starting to become more popular.

If this make me racist, then i'm a racist. But my criticism is aimed at the goverment not the imigrant for taking full advantage of a dumb govenment opening the doors to all.

Again sorry for any offence caused, it is not said to be malicious or mischevious. Many people in the UK would be affraid to openly say what I have said for fear of the PC police.

edit****

This is only to try and get the feel of people to see if it is really worth the hassel anymore of moving to thailand. I would be able to have and income of £650/month from investements now, and a civil service pension of around £700/month in 15 years time so retirement is possible,so I would only need a little job (with work visa) to stop me getting to bored.

Edited by chang

Perhaps you'll be greeted in Thailand by Thais who hold similar views about foreigners.

He probably will GH. Being an expat doesn't guarantee you total acceptance anywhere. I think Chang is entitled to his voice and you can't say there are absolutely no lawbreakers among immigrants. This applies equally everywhere - note my "PC" location. You're only taking umbrage because you're not one of them.