Is It Still Worth Moving To Thailand?

chang

You know better about bonds then visas.

Have a look to the visa section of this forum and see how difficult each visa class has become.

Edonista,

although it is not appropriate to mention it here's one last hint for you. my wife and me are on retirement visa (renewed twice) and until this very day we have never seen any thai embassy or consulate nor any immigration office from the inside. i am also convinced that we would be living in Thailand without the qualifying age. do you get my point?

In 2003 some guys "got your point" and instead of doing visa runs simply gave their passports to "agencies" that gave them back appearently dutifully stamped. When those guys went to airport to take the plane back to their country they were instead arrested, their heads skinned and spent many days in monkey house before they could see a lawyer and pay their overstay fines. When this story hit the internet, many passports got melted inside washing machines.... :o

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are 'doers' and then there are.......well....... :o

:D

there are also stubborn ones like the man who has come from a country far away, feels hungry and enters a bakery. he takes a few croissants and wants to walk away.

baker: che cazzo! where's my dough? no dough no croissants!

man: in your neighbouring countries croissants are (more or less) free.

baker: feel free to go to my neighbouring countries.

another man from a similar country far away enters the bakery, throws a fistful of coins on the table, takes a dozen croissants and starts to eat the first one when leaving the bakery. both the baker and the man are happy.

the story goes on:

another man from a country far away enters the bakery and asks for some croissants.

baker: you have to prove that you are not HIV infected, submit your credentials which show that you acquired a degree, bring both your grandparents to vouch personally for your integrity as well as a letter of recommendation from the government of your home country. once you have complied with these demands i might sell you some croissants.

the other man... leaves the bakery, hires a "consultant" for a fistful of money who walks into the bakery, buys croissants and hands them over. baker, consultant and "other man" are happy.

:D

I don't get any point from this story, apart the fact that the baker is Italian like me.

I wonder if all Thai people who have been hurt in their revenues by the visa shake up share your hope. :o

It's usually the poor Farangs, Illegal workers etc that cannot see a way to get a Visa, wealthier Farangs seem to have no problems.

Problem is with many Farangs, they just cannot get it into their skulls that Thailand is imposing Visa restrictions, yet when a Thai person wants to go to UK for instance, they have to undergo an almost Gestapo like interview pay the money, and then they may be refused and lose the money, just go to the Visa section in this Forum and see how many people have problems taking their Thai wives back to their own countries.

Many Farangs can just turn up in Thailand with 5 Baht in the pocket and get an instant 30 days (try doing that if you are Asian going to UK), followed by another 30 days, followed by yet another 30 days, you never had to apply for a Visa at all. Is it so hard to understand WHY the visa requirements are being stepped up.

Maybe Thailand should be more like the UK, you would have to Apply for a Visa at the Thai Embassy in UK and be questioned, show pay slips and bank books, letters from employers etc No more 30 day on arrival fee free entry to Thailand, no visa, no travel!!!...........

This is normal procedure for many of the worlds population wishing to travel, the problem is with westerners, they are so spoilt, they think they are above the developing world and expect the developing world to give them special treatment.

although (quite often) i don't like "Maigo's" attitude and stance but when he is right he is right. PERIOD! you "Edonista" should finally face reality and the fact that hardly any poor thai people are hurt by the so-called visa shake-up.

Motorbykes sales are down 30% yoy, leasing firms like Sicco close 1st 2007 barely breaking even because of defaulted installments and repossession costs, and you say no Thai is hurt ?

Ask real estate agents and stock brokers how they earnings are...

and Maigo is wrong , as I have widely and in detail shown in my answer.

I see instead all those who state he is right gave no argument at all to support their outrageously weak opinion.

I see instead all those who state he is right gave no argument at all to support their outrageously weak opinion.

I give up. Edonista you are right!!...... :o

Maigo6 you are wrong!!!!....and those who support you just do it becuase their outregeous weak opinion.....you among them Dr. Naam.! Ok na kap? :D

I think there is a trend among some expats, who think they now belong in Thailand, to try and discourage new additions to the farang contingent.

I also think they should be aware that they will never truly belong and that their tenuous links are based on having adopted or having been adopted by a Thai family. Or just having been there a long time or having a business of some kind.

Yes, it is still worth moving to Thailand if you can support yourself either by working legitimately there, setting up a business or having access to adequate offshore funds.

I detect a hint of snobbery among certain BMs here who have learned the rudiments of the language, have come to accept local mores and have managed to snag a decent woman with whom they are raising a family.

It would pay to make sure that there are no cuckoos in your nests.

As expats you are at the mercy of an alien government and without voting rights; ergo, straws in the wind of change.

Newbies are on the way with new ideas, new impulse and new money.

Better make way and make friends, otherwise there won't be room for you all in paradise.

I think there is a trend among some expats, who think they now belong in Thailand, to try and discourage new additions to the farang contingent.

I also think they should be aware that they will never truly belong and that their tenuous links are based on having adopted or having been adopted by a Thai family. Or just having been there a long time or having a business of some kind.

Yes, it is still worth moving to Thailand if you can support yourself either by working legitimately there, setting up a business or having access to adequate offshore funds.

I detect a hint of snobbery among certain BMs here who have learned the rudiments of the language, have come to accept local mores and have managed to snag a decent woman with whom they are raising a family.

It would pay to make sure that there are no cuckoos in your nests.

As expats you are at the mercy of an alien government and without voting rights; ergo, straws in the wind of change.

Newbies are on the way with new ideas, new impulse and new money.

Better make way and make friends, otherwise there won't be room for you all in paradise.

As usual you re right 'qwertz' , it should be your pomm blood.

I also note some hint of patronizing language in the text of some farangs who has been successful in here......but this is a typical farang language...been there, done it all type of bulls....with not a bit of humbliness

Personal experiences only serve as reference for others. For me everthing has an error-margin that has to be considered. At the end all it is all up to your own common sense and ability to interprete others language....

Edited by torito

I wonder if all Thai people who have been hurt in their revenues by the visa shake up share your hope. :D

It's usually the poor Farangs, Illegal workers etc that cannot see a way to get a Visa, wealthier Farangs seem to have no problems.

Problem is with many Farangs, they just cannot get it into their skulls that Thailand is imposing Visa restrictions, yet when a Thai person wants to go to UK for instance, they have to undergo an almost Gestapo like interview pay the money, and then they may be refused and lose the money, just go to the Visa section in this Forum and see how many people have problems taking their Thai wives back to their own countries.

Many Farangs can just turn up in Thailand with 5 Baht in the pocket and get an instant 30 days (try doing that if you are Asian going to UK), followed by another 30 days, followed by yet another 30 days, you never had to apply for a Visa at all. Is it so hard to understand WHY the visa requirements are being stepped up.

Maybe Thailand should be more like the UK, you would have to Apply for a Visa at the Thai Embassy in UK and be questioned, show pay slips and bank books, letters from employers etc No more 30 day on arrival fee free entry to Thailand, no visa, no travel!!!...........

This is normal procedure for many of the worlds population wishing to travel, the problem is with westerners, they are so spoilt, they think they are above the developing world and expect the developing world to give them special treatment.

Very well said krab. That's really the mindset of several people on this board. :o

Edited by ThaiGoon

I wonder if all Thai people who have been hurt in their revenues by the visa shake up share your hope. :D

Very well said krab. That's really the mindset of several people on this board. :o

I don't agree at all.

At this point, what Thailand offers is a delicate balance that is shifting towards not such a great deal for expats. I am personally already committed so I will stick it out, but a real newbie should look hard. Thailand is NOT the same as a country like the UK. It simply isn't. They are at completely different stages of economic development. Thailand still needs to attract millions of tourists and easy visas are a good way to go. Thailand indeed has many attractions to expats but it also has many negatives. And it is quite polluted.

....Thailand still needs to attract millions of tourists and easy visas are a good way to go. Thailand indeed has many attractions to expats but it also has many negatives. And it is quite polluted.

'Jingthing', I would agree with you if Thailand economy would depend on Tourism. But it is not this the case. As I said before tourism contributes significantly but only up to 4% of the GDP.

Asians countries will never be with a min-set and infrastructure of countries such as Spain, Greece and others who really depends of Tourism.

But even if Thailand would need to attract more tourist (which is definitelly good of the economy), it does not need to easy the visas as so far it work ok. The high season begins in November and ends in May..6 months.

The problem is not with tourists who fill the hotels. They do not complain. The problem is with people who want to stay in here as immigrant, but with tourist visa.

In 2003 some guys "got your point" and instead of doing visa runs simply gave their passports to "agencies" that gave them back appearently dutifully stamped. When those guys went to airport to take the plane back to their country they were instead arrested,

you did not get my point Edonista. i did not suggest anything illegal. if you have an electrical problem you consult an electrician, if you have a medical problem you consult a medical doctor and if you have a legal problem to solve you consult a respected lawyer who might be able to give you appropriate AND legal advice.

ever heard of Sunbelt Legal Advisers the main sponsor of this board?

you did not get my point Edonista. i did not suggest anything illegal. if you have an electrical problem you consult an electrician, if you have a medical problem you consult a medical doctor and if you have a legal problem to solve you consult a respected lawyer who might be able to give you appropriate AND legal advice.

What about if I have a bitterness problem Dr Naam? :o

Thailand is historically an inward looking land and doesn't welcome foreign ideas, which are exactly what we bring with us.

It hasn't suffered a major depression in many a year and so long as it keeps on getting cheap oil and other imported products it has no incentive to progress at a competitive rate.

It puts too little into R&D which, harking back to a recent thread, begs the question - what have Thais actually invented?

The Thais prefer to perpetuate intellectual property theft because it's technically simple.

Bear in mind, this is an Asian people with as much potential as the Chinese or the Indians. Could they compete? No way.

Why not? Because they're basically indolent.

It has resources, lot of possibilities for alternative and sustainable energy sources.

Has it even considered using them to relieve its dependency on imported consumables?

This is the land we're considering retiring to where the only contribution required from us is revenue.

Back to topic, we like LOS because of all these deficits; it makes for a laid back life so, if you have financial independence LOS is the place for you. But it's only one of many if you can afford to pay the rate.

What about if I have a bitterness problem Dr Naam? :o

problema pequeño Torito. you come over to my house and consult me. i have enough Portwine and Sherry stored to cure [nearly] any bitterness :D

This is the land we're considering retiring to where the only contribution required from us is revenue.

what more can we ask for as long as "revenue" does not change to "income tax"?

out of fairness. there are a lot of things which bother me in Thailand but it's the bottom line that counts and until now the pros outweigh the cons by far (speaking for me). once that changes i will pack up, take my losses whilst grinding my teeth and move on.

I give up. Edonista you are right!!...... :o

Maigo6 you are wrong!!!!....and those who support you just do it becuase their outregeous weak opinion.....you among them Dr. Naam.! Ok na kap? :D

As usual when you run out of arguments you hide behind "humor".

I can give you experienced advice, YOU can get a Non Immigrant Visa too, you just have to go a different route to the married guys and the guys over 50.

Stop sitting in your Pattaya condo, get off your azz and get the visa, thousands of guys under 50 have a non immigrant visa and are quite happy, you choose to sit in Thailand and complain, Italy is very nice this time of year and has some wonderful tourist destinations, do you really prefer to be in Thailand sitting at a computer moaning about your life?

I'd be in Italy myself given the choice. :o

I can give you experienced advice, YOU can get a Non Immigrant Visa too, you just have to go a different route to the married guys and the guys over 50.

Stop sitting in your Pattaya condo, get off your azz and get the visa, thousands of guys under 50 have a non immigrant visa and are quite happy, you choose to sit in Thailand and complain, Italy is very nice this time of year and has some wonderful tourist destinations, do you really prefer to be in Thailand sitting at a computer moaning about your life?

I'd be in Italy myself given the choice. :o

Italy is quite expensive and sex services rather unavailable.Who cares of the view if you have to give yourself hand jobs ? Much better sitting in my Pattaya condo receiving visits of needy Thai girls.

Btw, I cannot see any Non Immigrant visa available for under 50 unmarried unworking moaning guys like me.

Italy is quite expensive and sex services rather unavailable.Who cares of the view if you have to give yourself hand jobs ? Much better sitting in my Pattaya condo receiving visits of needy Thai girls.

Forget about the advice Leccacazzi.

if company and work permit are too much of a hassle why not find a thai lady in the wilderness who for a certain monthly allowance would marry you but will still keep on living (very) happily in her village without breaking her back for 2-3000 baht a month in a rice field whereas you select any place in Thailand to live and enjoy your life.

it's not as complicated as it sounds!

///////////////////////////////////

What is the benefit of getting married ? if he's under 50 getting married won't get him a retirement visa ?

Edonista obviously doesn't care about the view if he lives in Pattaya. If he got a ###### visa he'd just moan about something else.

Hopefully the tightening visa restrictions and larger contraction against foreigners will have the country back in shape by the time I'm ready to retire there full time.

if company and work permit are too much of a hassle why not find a thai lady in the wilderness who for a certain monthly allowance would marry you but will still keep on living (very) happily in her village without breaking her back for 2-3000 baht a month in a rice field whereas you select any place in Thailand to live and enjoy your life.

it's not as complicated as it sounds!

///////////////////////////////////

What is the benefit of getting married ? if he's under 50 getting married won't get him a retirement visa ?

but he can obtain a "marriage visa" which has the same benefits as a retirement visa. even less financial demands but this doesn't seem to be a problem.

Given all the arguments provided in this discussion, I am of the opinion now that thai visa laws should get tougher to avoid jerks like this guy coming so easily to this country.

Edited by torito

Given all the arguments provided in this discussion, I am of the opinion now that thai visa laws should get tougher to avoid jerks like this guy coming so easily to this country.

tss... tss... tss... :o

Forget about the advice Leccacazzi.

That applies to the girls I hire, not to me.

I wonder, does that apply to you as well ? :o

Oh, sure, Thailand must be reserved to pure guys like you :o .

I wonder if the girl who is sleeping in my bed tonight (she has no room and no money) has the same opinion. Why don't you come here and tell her that jerks like me should stay out of this country and she should sleep on the beach among mosquitos and rats ?

Retirement visa for over 50s - easy?

Where's the hook?

I'll get standard UK pension plus a small supplement from Germany when I retire.

Hardly a fortune.

I have it in mind to work on a little, part time as I can do my work online.

There must be stumbling blocks somewhere if chose to do this in LOS.

It can't be that easy, folks.

What's the catch? Umpteen 100k B in the (Thai) bank that you can't touch?

So many guys on this board bashing the visa system, doesn't sound like settling there as a pensioner is a viable option unless you snag a Thai wife, good or bad.

Not bashing here, it's an interesting thread but I lost sight of the bottom line about 50 posts ago.

Help me please to see the light here, I'm due to retire soon and considering options right now.

P.S. I don't give a toss about edonista and co. and their carnal pursuits, there's more than enough of that for me over there.