English teacher in Buriram dies after being ‘electrocuted’ by charging tablet

webfact

On 3/2/2021 at 3:02 PM, ukrules said:

The strange thing is that the chargers output quite a low amount of power. I wonder where the shock came from?

Many cheap chargers are lacking in safety features where a small failure can result in mains level voltage reaching the low voltage side. Falling asleep on the connector /plug may result in contact. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 3/3/2021 at 4:28 AM, Crossy said:

Considering the number of phones in use it's an extremely rare event which is why it gets reported when it happens, but it definitely happens. And

My feeling is that electrocutions of all kinds in Thailand are far, far more common than is reported. I won't insult you by telling you what the problem is with these chargers, but to anyone that might be reading, these cheap chargers, usually from China, often lack isolation transformers, or the USB side ground sheath is dangerously close to the phase conductor. In our hotel rooms, the maids often find the pins from chargers sticking out of sockets, they just come out of the charger as the guest removes them, such is the poor quality, so they just leave them in the socket. Crazy really but this is the country we live in, you can sell any old s#it, nobody cares, why Tesco is stocked up with 3-pin power strips (Tesco's own brand), with 2-core cable. Utter rubbish.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly