Camera violation ticket for running a red light

stargazer9999

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘come on... follow the thread...  

I’d pointed out that my Wife had received two separate tickets for exactly the same time, same day, same speed (128kmh), two different photos...  speeding in a 120kmh limit on an Expressway in Bangkok. 

The point was highlighting the accuracy of the two separate cameras which recorded the same speed, but also a duplicitous second ticket which highlights the system has its flaws. 

Come'on, follow what board you're posting on. This is the CM board not the BKK board. And to add, you never once said the 120 kmh area was in BKK until now.  duhhhhhhh

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘come on... follow the thread...  

I’d pointed out that my Wife had received two separate tickets for exactly the same time, same day, same speed (128kmh), two different photos...  speeding in a 120kmh limit on an Expressway in Bangkok. 

The point was highlighting the accuracy of the two separate cameras which recorded the same speed, but also a duplicitous second ticket which highlights the system has its flaws. 

Expand  

Come'on, follow what board you're posting on. This is the CM board not the BKK board. And to add, you never once said the 120 kmh area was in BKK until now.  duhhhhhhh

Fair enough... In a Chiang Mai sub-forum I omitted the speeding offence I exampled was in Bangkok - my bad... 

Do you think the fact that my wife received two separate tickets for the same offence is not relevant to this thread on ‘speeding tickets’ because the offence occurred in Bangkok ?

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you think the fact that my wife received two separate tickets for the same offence is not relevant to this thread on ‘speeding tickets’ because the offence occurred in Bangkok ?

No, I was merely trying to understand where this elevated motorway with a 120 kmh speed limit you were referencing was at here in CM. Been driving CM for well over 12 years and never came across anywhere the speed limit was 120 kmh. I think you now understand my confusion, thanks.

BTW, too bad that the automated cameras got her instead of a patrolman using a camera. I have personally experienced that a person cannot get multiple tickets in the same providence in a 24 hr period. However I don't think that works when the automated cameras get you.

• Like 1

If the issuing of these tickets was only about increased traffic safety I'd actually be in favor of them.  If I only got one a year I might attribute it to probably being my fault and just let it go.  It's the two tickets issued so quickly that's puzzling me when I consider my conservative driving habits.

My guess is that when these camera systems are installed there are optional settings which can determine how much time is allowed for a vehicle to pass through before issuing a red light violation, and perhaps other variables.  I think from my limited experiences recently and other comments on this thread the settings are not in your favor.   No wiggle room for normal Chiang Mai traffic flow is what I gather.  No consideration given for a slow vehicle in front of you when the light changes to yellow then red.   The more tickets generated each day the more fine income so there isn't really much motivation to be more flexible.  Has anyone tried to fight one of these tickets?   I would guess you can never win.

Unsure how truthful this is but I received this in a LINE message earlier this week from one of my Thai friends:

???? Bad news! ????

Anyone who gets his driver's license confiscated will not get it back. Have to go to the exam again .. And will only get a temporary driver's license instead Drive a car, be careful with the rules.

Beginning May 1

Order sent home from cctv camera record sent to home

- Park over the line

- Through the red lights

- Do not tighten the seat belt

- Call while driving

- The license plate is not attached

You can test the camera to catch the new red light.

It's activated ... Please drive with caution! ..

!!!!

Take a photo of 500 baht each.

Do not forget to send it to your friends, the driving members, the police friends.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:07 PM, dingdongrb said:

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before, but has anyone noticed that some folks 'white out' the black numbers/letters on their license plates? 

I know in the USA (most places I am familiar with) requires that the license plate needs to be clearly visible. It used to be that reflector covers were being sold so that when the camera goes off the reflector cover impedes the ability of the camera to provide a clear picture of the license plate.

55555...I have seen the "white out" thing on some plates and asked my Thai friends about it.  The story is that the company who made these plates had a batch or two that was defective and the black numbering faded over time.  So some drivers thought it a good idea to put a light coat of white paint over the numbers to mimic the factory defect.  The thing is, if you get stopped by the cops and you use the defective plate story, they will not buy it and you'll probably get hit with a fine.

Interesting regarding the reflector thing, by the way.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:21 PM, steve187 said:

amber means stop in the UK, not wiggle through, maybe different in other countries, but normally expats follow the rules they have ben acustomed to in their home countries

does not mean stop....means be cautious RED MEANS STOP EVERY ONE KNOWS THAT !!!