U.S. Border Patrol arrests 4,500 migrants in a day, a major increase amid fears of surge

webfact

29 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Sure, walls don’t work completely—but they help.  Stop illegal immigration outside the USA—not inside the border—that’s the failed “catch and release” policy that lets thousands of unvetted illegals into USA.

If people do a deep dive into the immigration issues in the US, avoiding the divisive media outlets, they'd find out it's a very complex problem that's not easy to solve.  Simple solutions, like a wall, won't solve the problem.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

13 illegals recently lost their lives when the coyote was able to drive through a section of wall that had been torn down. They didn't climb over, tunnel under, no they drove right in. And folks say the wall doesn't help. If that section of barrier had been properly maintained 13 lives would have been spared.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=souther+border+accident&docid=13823109381665&mid=66B5DE39A18F0064F52666B5DE39A18F0064F526&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Have you ever visited the southern border of the US?  I mean, off the beaten track?

On 3/14/2021 at 8:40 AM, EVENKEEL said:

I didn't realize inspecting the border was a prerequisite for having an opinion.

Having a proper barrier isn't a 100% fix but certainly is necessary as well as the natural barriers where having a man made barrier isn't required. 

The Border Patrol acknowledges that a 100 ft wall means 100 ft ladders but as they have stated, it's a necessary deterrent. I'll take the word of a professional Border Patrol everyday, all day.

An opinion that's not based on proper info.  You need to see what's going on firsthand to really understand the border problem.  Not just read divisive reports from Fox News, OAN or Newsmax.

There are better, and more humane, ways to solve this problem.  The fence isn't the best approach.  I do agree it's a good thing, but not across the entire southern border.  Doesn't make sense.  And yes, I've been to a lot of the Southern border.  Many times, in many different areas.

In the end, these are just poor people desperate for a better life.  Sad some are against that.

Edited by onthedarkside
Trump trolling removed.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The world is full of desperate people looking for a better life. That's not a legit argument. 

As I stated before I'll listen to the Border Patrol professionals.

Border Patrol professionals know how to patrol the border very well.  But are far from experts on what the root causes are.  I'll listen to these experts also. 

We've lost our humanity if we ignore the plight of desperate people looking for a better life.

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

They don't want to come here, they rather stay in their culture, with their families ,  friends , and language. So we need to help them improve conditions in their countries so that they would want to stay there.  Or we can try to build a wall around us and create a fortress America. 

IMO these are the only two options. 

I think helping them improve their countries is not only  a win win situation, but is the moral thing to do since we helped them wreck their countrie, 

In America they have their culture, their language and probably some family. What's not to like.

14 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Border Patrol professionals know how to patrol the border very well.  But are far from experts on what the root causes are.  I'll listen to these experts also. 

We've lost our humanity if we ignore the plight of desperate people looking for a better life.

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Didn’t the huddled masses have to go through a system when they arrived at ports etc?  Not happening down there dude. Get it straight and let your heart bleed less. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Didn’t the huddled masses have to go through a system when they arrived at ports etc?  Not happening down there dude. Get it straight and let your heart bleed less. 

My parents and 4 brothers and sisters did when they passed through Ellis Is.

"... poor people desperate for a better life..." There are 50 million Burmese, 3 million Lao, 3 million Cambodians, 10 million Vietnamese, 60 million filipinos, and so on, all desperate to come. Do we not invite them just because they are further than Central America? What logic is that? What's the end game? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

In America they have their culture, their language and probably some family. What's not to like.

What?  You totally missed the point.  They DON'T want to move to America.  They are desperate and are doing whatever it takes to survive. 

Trump cut funding to a big part of Central America.  The virus is raging there.  And!  They got hit by 2 hurricanes.  Add to it corruption, in part created by the US.  Do some research on how the US has messed up that region. 

Time for us to man up and help these poor people.  And that does not mean letting them into our country illegally.  There are options.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Enzian said:

"... poor people desperate for a better life..." There are 50 million Burmese, 3 million Lao, 3 million Cambodians, 10 million Vietnamese, 60 million filipinos, and so on, all desperate to come. Do we not invite them just because they are further than Central America? What logic is that? What's the end game? 

If you travel, you'll find out most poor people do not want to leave their country.  Perhaps we should have a heart and help them.  Rather than bash them.  Not a bad end game.  And it's what America is all about.  Have you forgotten that?

Also, immigration laws need reform desperately.  This is a huge part of the problem, made worse by a bunch of different and sometimes conflicting laws in each state.  Not to mention racist politicians telling porkies about what's really going on.  Don't fall for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I'm ready to help them. Don't have too much spare change myself, but what's your bank account number?

Perhaps the 4 Billion Trump tried to steal from the military could be used to help?  It would go a long way to helping them, and preventing them from taking the long and dangerous journey to the US.

Please, read this.  A great article on but one of the many problems the US has with it's immigration policy.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/4THP_15WaysFedDeficit_Prop12.pdf

Immigration creates economic value and potential fiscal revenues when workers move from countries where their productivity and wages are low to countries, such as the United States, where their productivity and wages are relatively high.

Unfortunately, the complex and outdated U.S. immigration system, even in its employment-based component, imposes significant inefficiencies and costly restrictions on the inflow of foreign-born workers.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The Biden administration is making a new push to address the causes of migration from Central America as it faces a surge at the southern border.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/10/975758760/the-border-is-not-open-biden-administration-seeks-foreign-aid-to-slow-migration

Excellent article.  The Biden bashers should read this.  An excerpt:

"You can't just look at immigration as either push or pull factors, and which is more important," she said. "The answer is, it's all part of a decision that a migrant makes. They have agency. They go on the information they have and their hopes and dreams."

But she said their first decision is, "I have to leave."

The problems in Central America are far reaching. Chronic poverty in Guatemala Honduras and El Salvador has only worsened amid the pandemic and two devastating hurricanes that left hundreds of thousands displaced last year.

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2021 at 5:11 PM, johnnybangkok said:

It's nice to see so many of the old Trump fan brigade out today. Where have you been? We've missed you boys. 

It's of course no great surprise that you are all out in such great force, spouting your usual nonsense and cherry picking figures and statistics to fit you agenda because this was the real reason you all loved Trump so much wasn't it? Them thar pesky immigrants, coming here, taking your jobs, bettering their lives, enriching the American culture and literally trying for the American dream. For some reason Trump had you all convinced this was the reason for all the problems in your life and boy did you throw in with him big time, lapping up the 'we'll build a wall and Mexico will pay for it' nonsense only to find out that immigration just wasn't that easy to solve after all (who would have thought it).

As someone previously mentioned, immigration (legal or illegal) has been a huge problem in the US for decades (comes with having such a big border with one of the poorest continents on the planet) and NO ONE has been able to effectively solve it; not Reagan, not Clinton, neither of the Bush's, not Obama and certainly not Trump (despite all his smoke and mirrors to convince you otherwise). Now the ball is with Biden and I'll tell you now, he won't be able to sort it either. The difference though is whilst going about not sorting it, he'll at least try to be humanitarian about it and follow the law (both domestic and international). He won't be seperating children from their mothers or locking them in cages and will try in a legal manner to work out the proper asylum seekers from the economic ones. Yes there will be mistakes. Yes there will be some who get in when they shouldn't and yes, the GOP (and all you lot) will shout 'told you so' whilst it's all happening but at least Americas standing in the world for being fair and just won't take the battering it did with Trumps policies and at least America will be able to again claim to be the leader of the free world in doing the right thing. 

This is what Trump threw out the window in a pathetic effort to convince you that 'solving' the immigration problem would in turn solve all your problems. It didn't and it won't. 

Excellent post and lays out the key points very well. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1