Any 6 feet (180 cm) people finding themselves too tall in Thailand?

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

Visit a proper house or a department store, you won't have any problems. Youth in Thailand are bigger than you.

Note that I said: "Outside the major shopping centers and fancy condos"

"Excluding middle-class parts of Bangkok"

When you travel outside those areas, most of the infrastructure is built for people in the 140-170 cm height range.

I saw a young man walking through the night market in ChiangMai once. I have no idea how tall he was but he was bent at the knees and waist to get though. The Thais just looked at him with eyes as big as saucers. I'm only 5'9'' and I fell tall here. The funny thing is even though there are some pretty big young women here, when I go to the States all the women look large.

• Haha 1

my wife's around 170, pretty tall for a thai lady, so we dont look like the odd couple  when we go out. But you should see my son in his class photo. ????

Still, he's popular with his friends when they play basketball. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

That's easily avoided using eyes and by ducking.

Actually I meant that I used to bump my head often.

But yes, I do have to keep ducking.

I don't know of many other countries where 180 cm guys have to constantly duck, except for the other poorer Southeast Asian countries like Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia.

I've never really had to duck even in India or Guatemala, when average height for rural men can be very short, like 5' 3".

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

In street markets and restaurant stalls, I keep bumping my head against umbrellas, ropes, beams, and what not.

I do agree with this although I seldom bump my head. I just end up with a crick in the neck from constantly bending my head to one side.   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I saw a young man walking through the night market in ChiangMai once. I have no idea how tall he was but he was bent at the knees and waist to get though. The Thais just looked at him with eyes as big as saucers. I'm only 5'9'' and I fell tall here. The funny thing is even though there are some pretty big young women here, when I go to the States all the women look large.

Does large mean wide?

Does large mean obese?

(many are both)

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Does large mean wide?

Does large mean obese?

(many are both)

No, I have just gotten so used to all these 90 to 100 lb women here that a "normal" 120 looks large to me now. Like I said, here I feel tall, back home, I am getting shorter :). I live in a college town when I am back there and most the kids tower over me.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

Actually I meant that I used to bump my head often.

But yes, I do have to keep ducking.

I don't know of many other countries where 180 cm guys have to constantly duck, except for the other poorer Southeast Asian countries like Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia.

I've never really had to duck even in India or Guatemala, when average height for rural men can be very short, like 5' 3".

It's never bothered me wherever I've been.

Many Thai guys I've noticed for 15 years or so are very tall some girls to.

24 minutes ago, Salerno said:

That's a bit of a stretch (no pun intended). You'd be considered tall in the vast majority of countries in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_human_height_by_country#Table_of_heights

If the average male height is 175 cm, 180 cm will feel like just slightly above average, so you still blend in just fine. In practical terms, it feels like average.

So, someone like me walking around in the UK would perfectly fit in height-wise.

Not like in much of Thailand, where you literally stick out.

8 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

It feels like being smaller is an advantage in many hot, tropical countries.

Also an advantage in nightclubs worldwide ... easier to escape the bunny boiler you mistakenly picked up when you're not head and shoulders above the crowd!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks, love your story Scorecard! Really enjoyable to read. You had mentioned that your Asian students were Thai, Burmese, Vietnamese.

But try taking a metro ride in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Taipei, or another one of those highly developed Asian cities. Many of the men, especially the younger ones, have European-level heights. I've walked around with some European (German, Swedish, Swiss) friends in those cities, and many of the local Asian youths were just as tall as the European boys.

Bangkok might be on its way there.

Edited by RamenRaven