World no closer to answer on COVID origins despite WHO probe - expert

snoop1130

World no closer to answer on COVID origins despite WHO probe - expert

2021-03-05T092124Z_1_LYNXNPEH240GM_RTROPTP_4_NOBEL-PRIZE-PEACE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A logo is pictured on the headquarters of the World Health Orgnaization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland, June 25, 2020. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse/File Photo

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Despite a high-profile visit to China by a team of international experts in January, the world is no closer to knowing the origins of COVID-19, according to one of the authors of an open letter calling for a new investigation into the pandemic.

"At this point we are no further advanced than we were a year ago," said Nikolai Petrovsky, an expert in vaccines at Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia, and one of 26 global experts who signed the open letter, published on Thursday.

In January, a team of scientists picked by the World Health Organization (WHO) visited hospitals and research institutes in Wuhan, the central Chinese city where the coronavirus was identified, in search of clues about the origins of COVID-19.

But the mission has come under fire, with critics accusing the WHO of relying too much on politically compromised Chinese fieldwork and data.

Team members also said China was reluctant to share vital data that could show COVID-19 was circulating months earlier than first recognised.

The open letter said the WHO mission "did not have the mandate, the independence, or the necessary accesses to carry out a full and unrestricted investigation" into all theories about the origins of COVID-19.

"All possibilities remain on the table and I have yet to see a single piece of independent scientific data that rules out any of them," said Petrovsky.

At a press briefing to mark the end of the WHO visit to Wuhan, mission head Peter Ben Embarek appeared to rule out the possibility that the virus leaked from a laboratory in Wuhan.

But Petrovsky said it "doesn't make any sense" to rule any possibility out, and said the aim of the open letter was "to get an acknowledgement globally that no one has yet identified the source of the virus and we need to keep searching."

"We need an open mind and if we close down some avenues because they are considered too sensitive, that is not how science operates," he said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-05

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

But the mission has come under fire, with critics accusing the WHO of relying too much on politically compromised Chinese fieldwork and data.

It's ok to kill 2.5 million people and get away with it, unpunished!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

To discover the origins is very important to avoid future , similar , outbreaks .

It came from a bat. The route it took from bat to human is not known but the recent origin is pretty much understood.

The technology and know how to 'mine' bats for viruses is more available than ever before. They are a huge reservoir for many different viruses.

It is odd that the first outbreak happened in an urban center in the middle of China.

Talk of people eating bats is misdirection people were in hospital with COVID in Wuhan more than a month before the market outbreak, in November 2019.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

The WHOLE WORLD knows where the virus came from maybe someone should tell WHO!!!

Wow! Finally, the spokesman who speaks for the WHOLE WORLD has been revealed. Well, given that you are still an anonymous poster, I guess "halfway revealed" is more accurate. Anyway, I've always suspected that most scientists and those who listen to them are extraterrestrials. Thanks for confirming it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The evidence points to a Wuhan lab as the source of the virus. But sure, it may have come from the local wet market.  Either way, it came from China, and neither the WHO nor the CCP cares to clarify.  Let that sink in.

• Like 1

When they talk about where the virus originated, I think they are speaking about more than just geography.   Most scientists have tossed out the idea that it was man-made.  They have made that elimination on the basis of the structure of the virus.   Like most good scientific thoughts, they have not eliminated the laboratory produced theory, but find it very unlikely.  

Finding the location may be helpful, but what they want to discover is what is the natural host animal where it survives and then how did it cross the species barrier?  Did it infect an intermediary species before jumping to humans?  

• Like 1

I think the "probe" in China was just a PR show, it's simply not possible to do any meaningful work in such a short time and limited access.

there are many thoughts to explore around this virus.

one of the thoughts I had was whether this is the first time such a virus suddenly appears, or if it is the first we became aware of. would this type of virus have been noticed in the 1930ies, 1850ies or have been dismissed as a bad flu?

then I thought that the virus outbreak could indeed have originated in a lab without necessarily be man-made. labs routinely collect viruses to study or weaponize them, but such an unalterated virus could have contaminated a worker there and then spread.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Great,boss of the WHO is from Ethopia.Ethopia is under chinese control.I'm not a Trump fan but he did the right thing leaving the WHO

Nonsense. Until the recent civil strife broke out, Ethiopia was very skillfully playing the West against China. 

How an African state learned to play the West off China for billions

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/07/ethiopia-china-west-power-competition-110766swarra

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

The evidence points to a Wuhan lab as the source of the virus. But sure, it may have come from the local wet market.  Either way, it came from China, and neither the WHO nor the CCP cares to clarify.  Let that sink in.

The evidence does not point to that (see Scott's post following yours) but let's say it came from the Wuhan wet market. Should China then pay reparations to the whole world? Should Guinea pay reparations for the latest Ebola outbreak? Should the US pay reparations for the Spanish Flu (that, despite the name, very possibly originated in the US)? What about the next annual flu? Should the country where it originated pay reparations to the whole world? 

Edited by Phoenix Rising
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tgw said:

I think the "probe" in China was just a PR show, it's simply not possible to do any meaningful work in such a short time and limited access.

there are many thoughts to explore around this virus.

one of the thoughts I had was whether this is the first time such a virus suddenly appears, or if it is the first we became aware of. would this type of virus have been noticed in the 1930ies, 1850ies or have been dismissed as a bad flu?

Viruses weren't known to be the cause of influenza until some time after the Spanish Flu had come and gone. The structure of DNA & RNA wasn't decoded until the 1950's So I don't see how researchers could have differentiated flu viruses from Covid viruses given the similarity of many of the symptoms. 

Come to think of it, there are plenty of posters on Thaivisa.com who still can't accept that the two are different.

• Like 1