Your best guess? COVID-19 shots for long-term expats starting when?

JTXR

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

This is a pandemic: vaccines are free in most other countries.  

You've lived in countries with arcane health systems, so paying through the teeth seems normal. 

Good point about not expecting anything for free as an expat in Thailand- no reciprocity.  But hardly a desirable state of affairs.

Not sure how you can describe the Australian health system as “arcane” as it’s clearly understood.

As far as paying through the teeth Health Care in Australia is free as long as you use the  government system and of a very high standard.

If you elect to use the private system even with the top insurance cover you can be substantially out of pocket.

As far as reciprocity is concerned whilst desirable from my experience it’s limited.

The only place I have found it exists for me and my family is in the UK where it seems because we all hold  Australia citizenship and passports we are entitled to “ free” emergency treatment as defined.

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Because Thais living in my country get it for free. And no doubt some have had it already.

They probably get it in my country  as well as long as they are citizens or have permanent residency.

However we  are not in my country or your country so doesn’t apply.

However there is an easy solution we could both return to our respective countries and get it for free.

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I get all my annual vaccinations/boosters from Bangkok Red Cross which charges all visitors about 40% less than private hospitals.

I don't expect Red Cross to provide covid vaccine nor has the government mentioned it as a vac center for covid-19. But it should be.

Thanks for the information I live in the North so not worth traveling to Bangkok nice place as it is.

As a matter of interest will check out Chiang Mai for the Red Cross.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:34 PM, Saddic said:

... for Thai only ...

My guess is farang will get it after they vax all the soi dogs...

Until they allow private institutions to peruse their own supply of vax and sell it...  I don't expect to get it in Thailand for years or until all Thai's are vax'ed)...

I expect to be able to get it in my home country around the end of the year... (but that, I feel is overly optimistic... lol)

"Until they allow private institutions to peruse their own supply of vax and sell it..."

I believe that is already being offered - at 2000 baht a shot! 

Almost impossible a significant amount will be available until June or later.  Western countries have already bought up the entire worlds supply of high quality vaccines until then.

Certainly readily available before year end.  Production capacity will greatly increase in the next few months, and if you look at just the vaccines that have been approved in the US or Europe, more than 6 billion doses will be produced by year end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Is there a list of hospitals and clinics which have started a waiting list for people willing to pay for the vaccine?

Probably not, given that one hospital got spanked for trying form a 10,000 baht queue.

If you have a doctor, maybe ask them for advice. Maybe they can add your name to some sort of patient record report indicating that it is OK to contact you when/if a vaccine option becomes available.

On 3/11/2021 at 6:18 AM, stament said:

I was just wondering the same thing myself after seeing the HUGE number of vaccines that Thailand have acquired for June and September per a thaitiger article.

My guess is that as a farang I will be very lucky if I get vaccinated in 2021. 

Will farangs even eligible for free government vaccination or will this be another cash ???? for Thai agencies I wonder....? 

Our Phu Yai Ban has been asked to compile a list of all village residents who wish to avail themselves of the (voluntary) vaccination with an indication of their age.

I was told that seniors will vaccinated 1st and that foreigners (that's me) will be included.

There was no indication of the timescale yet, but it's good to see they are getting on with the preparations.

Edited by Moonlover