Practical internet question

PaleFire

Hi all,

I am looking at the possibility and practicalities of working from Chiang Mai (currently in the UK). Work permits/visas etc. are being explored elsewhere and will dictate the final outcome, but in the meantime I am left with the question of internet. Between video conferencing and personal Netflix etc. I probably use 10-15GB data a day. This is not an issue at home in the UK with my regular BT broadband of course, but would be a problem were I to be travelling (unlimited data SIMs are never truly unlimited).

Would someone be able to tell me if it would be possible to get a 'home' like connection to the net if I rented a serviced apartment/condo etc. for a few months, so I could video conference/Netflix to my heart's content? Or is this only available for long term rentals?

Many thanks.

• Haha 1

In Bangkok, you certainly can. I had a business one for over 5 years( I had a work colleague who's been there over a dozen years - and still is). No issues re access and amount, 

I had to have 24x7 access and it rarely failed.

Could be booked one month +, to one year.

Only visited Chang Mai a few times but I'm sure they have the same.

• Like 1

Is it possible to set up these types of connection quickly i.e. in the first few weeks while still on a tourist visa, or would I have to wait until I have a long term visa?

Many thanks for all the advice, it's greatly appreciated.

13 hours ago, PaleFire said:

Thanks Kekalot, I appreciate the reply. I assume this is for private lets or do you know if you can pay more for a serviced apartment with a fiber connection?

Yes you can. I know of quite a few apartments where there is an internet connection included in the rent.

You should look for an accommodation with an existing Internet. Best is if the room has his own router. Otherwise there is often a router for many and the speed might not be that great. Not all such connections are bad.

It might not be easy to connect an appartment to the Internet if there is no connection already. VDSL can use the phone line - if there is any. In respect of a fibre connection to the appartment it even gets more complicated if there is none already. You might have to pay a lot depending on the location of the condo. But it needs to be clarified if it is possible and allowed to install a cable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaleFire said:

Thank you Oldie!

In respect of the existing phone line I have to add something. It can be so bad that it cannot be used for Internet. I had this problem and I had to make a new cable. I have my own condo. 

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

In respect of the existing phone line I have to add something. It can be so bad that it cannot be used for Internet. I had this problem and I had to make a new cable. I have my own condo. 

What's a Phone Line?    LOL

• Like 1

There are plenty of service providers in Chiang Mai - AIS, 3BB, Sinet, Truemove. IME, it usually takes no more than the next day to get up and running - they have every incentive to do that, because they are not getting ongoing monthly payments until they do.

Some condos have free WiFi in common areas, but your traffic would need a dedicated fibre optic.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I am experiencing difficulties in Chiang Mai.  I have a fibre optic connection and a 5 or 2.4 g service.  However at peak times my internet is often cut off for minutes.  It just may be my PC it is 6 years old.  I changed from 3BB to Truemove trying to improve my situation but it is worse with the new ISP.  I live in a built up area on the south side of the city.

2 hours ago, peterpop said:

Unfortunately I am experiencing difficulties in Chiang Mai.  I have a fibre optic connection and a 5 or 2.4 g service.  However at peak times my internet is often cut off for minutes.  It just may be my PC it is 6 years old.  I changed from 3BB to Truemove trying to improve my situation but it is worse with the new ISP.  I live in a built up area on the south side of the city.

If you are concerned it may be your OS, download a Linux distro, write it to a USB stick, and you can test running from there.

e.g. https://mxlinux.org/

Internet here seems not to be hindered with the problem of old copper infrastructure and I have had 2 direct fibre to home for my home and my wifes small business, a couple of holiday chalets.

Currently I use True as they offered a deal at about £40 per month with 1000 / 100 speeds. OK the down is usually around 700 but I can live with that.

This service also provides my 4K TV plus we have decent WiFi all over the property.

3BB who I have also used for fibre have competitive packages especially if you don't want TV.

Both companies are reliable and it is very very rart I have service problems, also with my True I get a 5 gig data allowance and sim card for my phone bundled in, wit hthat ans the large number of  WiFi enabled cafes etc here I never use all my data.

Occasionally I do wonder if the Thai government are restricting the internet but that is more of a suspicion than something I actually know happens.

Hope this helps.

You fell at the very first hurdle. Best to not jump to conclusions. There are truly unlimited data SIM here. Typically you can pick up an unlimited data SIM, capped at 10 Mbps(1.25 MB/s); no cap on volume, from as little as 1300 baht per annum.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10mbps-dtac-12-i1929192284-s6099702345.html

So you can be up and running from Day 1; with ample time to look for a land based option. 

Wow, thank you very much Eindhoven. I have yet to find a SIM that doesn't have a cap on volume, even if hidden in the tiniest of print and still calling itself 'truly unlimited', so this would be incredibly helpful. Thank you again!

16 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You fell at the very first hurdle. Best to not jump to conclusions. There are truly unlimited data SIM here. Typically you can pick up an unlimited data SIM, capped at 10 Mbps(1.25 MB/s); no cap on volume, from as little as 1300 baht per annum.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10mbps-dtac-12-i1929192284-s6099702345.html

So you can be up and running from Day 1; with ample time to look for a land based option. 

I hope you don't mind some potentially dumb questions. Can I purchase this same package for my existing Dtac sim? It would seem to be perfect for me as then i wouldn't have to worry to top up before I leave, or after I leave, the country for a few months.

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

I hope you don't mind some potentially dumb questions. Can I purchase this same package for my existing Dtac sim? It would seem to be perfect for me as then i wouldn't have to worry to top up before I leave, or after I leave, the country for a few months.

No, you have to get a new Sim card with a new number.

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

I have used AIS for over 15 years, so do not know if DTAC is the same or not.

But you can make changes to your account easily, increase or decrease data, pay via online banking, etc. I have had the same number all this time. I even have 2 SIM cards, in 2 different fones, with the same number.

I imagine DTAC is the same - if their call centre is as good as AIS they will have English speakers available, courteous and professional, to answer any questions you might have

Edited by canthai55

27 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I even have 2 SIM cards, in 2 different fones, with the same number.

I need the same. But True Move told me only for postpaid and not for prepaid. Do you have prepaid or postpaid?