Locked out of work! 1,300 ladies at underwear factory suddenly find themselves unemployed

webfact

All alarm clocks should have started to sound already when machinery was moved to Indonesia and Vietnam, and where is the union.

In Europe is net sales booming, also with lingerie, so what about the export, it simply doesn't add up. I guess the wages are lower in Indonesia and Vietnam, and this is the only reason

16 hours ago, mfd101 said:

And no even quarter-decent trade union movement in this country to protect anyone. ..

ha ha trade unions,, this is asia. Also with trade unions comes increased prices (as they push for higher wages, benefits) and then more jobs are lost to Cambodia, Vietnam etc.

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

OK lads enough wise cracks about undies,  1300 ladies suddenly have no jobs, no income, no prospects of quickly finding new jobs.

There jobs, equipment being moved to Vietnam/ Indonesia, workers there  on less money than here.

So factory bosses/ owners just make more money, whilst not caring about workers, i very sad/ sick situation.

Long past time this so-called government stepped up and and did more to help/ protect workers, instead of sitting back only caring about their own bank balances.

It's not necessarily about owners making more money, it undoubtedly is about reducing production costs. and a large part of this would be the high Baht putting export sales under a great deal of pressure. Back to the government to do something about this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Because of the laws in Thailand I can't name names or the company, but a couple of decades ago someone at one of the country's largest companies tried to organise a union, and he was murdered. Plenty of fingers pointed to the company owner, one of the richest and most influential people in Thailand for arranging it, but nothing happened. Of course.

Reminds me of a farang owned bar-rest in Cm......was sitting outside one day smoking a cigar and along came a stranger and ....bang!

Now thai owned......only farang Ive seen make it is owner of Dukes......

17 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Spot the Ladyboy.... ????

No have.

That is one of the reasons why Victoria Secrets does not have these shows anymore. Some so called politically correct people wanted that they have something not feminine on stage. And fat women. Good that they cancelled it before that happened.

• Sad 1

On 3/12/2021 at 1:42 AM, mfd101 said:

And no even quarter-decent trade union movement in this country to protect anyone. ..

This was a company that exported its products.

Are you suggesting that increasing the amount of red-tape and expense required to run a factory in Thailand, as opposed to the dozens of cheaper countries, will somehow increase the number of such jobs in Thailand?

The things that work in advanced economies such as Germany are not necessarily suited to more basic economies. Your "protection" is more likely to leave low-skilled Thais without a job in the first place. Sad but true.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

They have a very good working labour office here, get your facts right.

So, is the 'good working labour office' intervening on the women's behalf? to ensure they receive all monies owed (including holiday pay - Is there such a thing here?) and to help them find employment elsewhere.

In any case I do not assume that the reason for industries of various kinds to relocate to Vietnam is necessarily because wages there are lower than in Thailand. I would think that the Vietnamese could pay 3 times the wages of Thais and still attract relocation to Vietnam. The reason being PRODUCTIVITY - better use of people, better use of technology, more rational people/technology mix, fewer public holidays and - of course - that immense benefit of Communism to poor countries: a decent education available to and compulsory for ALL.

12 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

So, is the 'good working labour office' intervening on the women's behalf? to ensure they receive all monies owed (including holiday pay - Is there such a thing here?) and to help them find employment elsewhere.

The labour department here is usually pretty good at following up on this kind of situation.

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

In any case I do not assume that the reason for industries of various kinds to relocate to Vietnam is necessarily because wages there are lower than in Thailand. I would think that the Vietnamese could pay 3 times the wages of Thais and still attract relocation to Vietnam. The reason being PRODUCTIVITY - better use of people, better use of technology, more rational people/technology mix, fewer public holidays and - of course - that immense benefit of Communism to poor countries: a decent education available to and compulsory for ALL.

"So, is the 'good working labour office' intervening on the women's behalf? to ensure they receive all monies owed (including holiday pay - Is there such a thing here"

Yes and they are doing a good job.

Don't think you know much about productivity of Thai companies either.