New passport and visa transfer

Good morning,

I will apply for a new Italian passport the end of March.

To provide the transfer of the actual THAI WIFE visa to the new passport i have to go compulsory to CW, or there are other Immigration office options?

I live in Bangkok.

Thank you.

Giampiero

Immigration does not transfer visas. They will only transfer stamps they have done and do a stamp with spaces for info about your old passport and the visa you used to enter the country that you have been extending.

You can only do it a Chaeng Wattana if you have a address in Bangkok.

9 minutes ago, Quickmill said:

Thank you Lopburi3, yes sure i will not wait a week, i asked because i wanted to be sure that if i go to CW the day after i got the new passport i don't fall in a sort of immigration law infringement.

It has to be done after the fact but be sure you get a letter from your Embassy asking for that service and make copies of old passport data/original visa/entry and current permitted to stay as well as new passport data.  They will have a short form to fill out but not much to it.  They will make entries in new passport of move, original visa info and current permitted to stay stamp.

2 hours ago, Quickmill said:

Thank you Lopburi3, yes sure i will not wait a week, i asked because i wanted to be sure that if i go to CW the day after i got the new passport i don't fall in a sort of immigration law infringement.

I traveled in and out of Thailand for over 6 months providing both passports at airports etc. No issue. 

Do it when it suits you.

As long as you get to keep your old passport with the stamps in it, why bother? I went to Chaeng Wattana to do it. Got there at 9 AM. Got a number and at 10:55 it appeared that I would have to wait until they came back from ,lunch. I left. I carried two passports for three years after that. No problem. The reason it was 3 years was because I had an Elite Visa. I never had any issues with Immigration officers. None ever mentioned it.

17 minutes ago, toolpush said:

As long as you get to keep your old passport with the stamps in it, why bother?

How would you expect a bank or police to react to you presenting an expired/canceled passport?  I expect very few would accept new without entry.  I agree the chance of it happening may be slight but if it is not a major issue would not want to invite issues by procrastination.

I appreciate all the shared comments and experiences , for my style, I will definitely transfer the stamp to the new passport for peace of mind, moreover i have to renew my OYSP soon, so better don't take risk. 

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

How would you expect a bank or police to react to you presenting an expired/canceled passport?  I expect very few would accept new without entry.  I agree the chance of it happening may be slight but if it is not a major issue would not want to invite issues by procrastination.

I did so all the time. No one blinked an eye. I kept my two passports bound together as one. I must have traveled through international borders over 30 times that way. Used it at banks, immigration, etc. Not a word that it was "wrong" from anyone.

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You mention entry as in entry stamp I presume. That is not what the OP was talking about as far as I can tell. He was talking about his extension stamp because of marriage. As for the entry stamp, when you leave the country, the immigration officer will direct you to the desk where you pay overstay fines and the people there will transfer your entry stamp into your new passport for you with a smile.

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I traveled in and out of Thailand for over 6 months providing both passports at airports etc. No issue. 

Do it when it suits you.

New rules now, if you are on retirement visa, you must also show required money in the bank, one year statement and letter from bank certifying balance, letter dated same day or one day before. My recent experience at CW. 

5 minutes ago, kennw said:

New rules now, if you are on retirement visa, you must also show required money in the bank, one year statement and letter from bank certifying balance, letter dated same day or one day before. My recent experience at CW. 

You are typing about applying for extension based on retirement (it's not a visa). BTW bank statements not required at CW. Photocopies of last 12 months of transactions is sufficient.

I'm talking (as this thread is about) transferring stamps and visa information (visas are not transferred) from old to new pp. This can be done at immigration. However one can travel internationally with both passports. I mention along with others that I did this for over 7 months. No issue whatsoever.

Archived