George Floyd's family receives $27 million settlement from Minneapolis over his death

rooster59

On 3/13/2021 at 6:22 AM, bkk6060 said:

What would it be in Thailand maybe 100,000 b?

The cop was out of line but on the big picture, this type of settlement just makes cops and cities more paranoid about any type of physical force being used.  We will see, but the reverse could happen with cops being injured or killed more often due to the current tone/fear regarding cops interaction/actions with others. 

What happened that day IS the big picture.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Maliproto said:

The city would not be able to make any improvements with that $47m because, as you said, it's insurer's money that was paid out as a claim, not the city's.

So you're saying that the city does not pay for insurance? Or that their rates will not increase? Or that the entire sum was actually paid by carriers? It sounds like they are self-funding this settlement.

Unless money grows on trees in Minnesota.

Minneapolis to pay record $27 million to settle lawsuit with George Floyd's family

Including the Floyd settlement, Minneapolis will have spent at least $71 million in the past 15 years to settle officer misconduct claims or lawsuits. The payments, and a slew of PTSD claims made by officers who responded to the rioting following Floyd's death, will strain the city's finances.

Minneapolis typically uses money from its self-insurance fund to cover such settlements, but that fund had already been depleted. City Coordinator Mark Ruff said during Friday's news conference that city leaders anticipated "some of these liabilities," referring both to the settlement and the PTSD claims, and had been working to build up reserve funds.

City representatives didn't respond to multiple requests Friday seeking clarity on which reserve funds they would use to cover the settlement or whether city services would be cut as a result.

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-to-pay-record-27-million-to-settle-lawsuit-with-george-floyd-s-family/600033541/

17 hours ago, welshissan said:

Didn't he die of a drug overdose?

If you tell me that it is city/police policy to kneel on the neck of every person under arrest, for 8:46, then fine.

Why not just pop him in a car, take him in for booking and arraignment? Assume that's what happens for white folks?

Why treat Mr. Floyd differently? Aren't we all equal under the law?

WaPo...

Two autopsies — one by a county medical examiner and another by a private medical examiner hired by Floyd’s family — as well as a review by military experts conducted for the federal government, reached the conclusion that Floyd died of cardiopulmonary arrest as the officers subduing him compressed his neck and chest.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/george-floyd-fentanyl/2021/03/10/c3d4f328-76ec-11eb-9537-496158cc5fd9_story.html

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

If you tell me that it is city/police policy to kneel on the neck of every person under arrest, for 8:46, then fine.

Why not just pop him in a car, take him in for booking and arraignment? Assume that's what happens for white folks?

Why treat Mr. Floyd differently? Aren't we all equal under the law?

WaPo...

Two autopsies — one by a county medical examiner and another by a private medical examiner hired by Floyd’s family — as well as a review by military experts conducted for the federal government, reached the conclusion that Floyd died of cardiopulmonary arrest as the officers subduing him compressed his neck and chest.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/george-floyd-fentanyl/2021/03/10/c3d4f328-76ec-11eb-9537-496158cc5fd9_story.html

Just pop him in a car!  Love that....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

It's ironic that compensation to the family of a man who was murdered by a policeman choking him to death has caused so many to choke from apoplexy themselves.

Certainly revealing. Suspect any irony is lost on the more strident posters?

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

-Maya Angelou

I'd actually pitch the family to decline the offer. But I understand that I probably couldn't close that argument. And I'd be playing with someone else's money.

it's crazy, the number of lights that there are on this forum.
We could recover them to light up the streets of Hua Hin, because they are very dark.
It is not the fact of compensation that appeals, but his career as a perfect recidivist delinquent, armed robber, false money maker, drug addict, disobedience to public order.
If he had not shown a refusal to be handcuffed, and to get into the police car, this tragedy, and not this murder, would not have happened.
And you, caught in the act, would you have refused to let yourself be embarked?
No, the family does not deserve this money. Too easy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

45 minutes ago, sirocco said:

it's crazy, the number of lights that there are on this forum.
We could recover them to light up the streets of Hua Hin, because they are very dark.
It is not the fact of compensation that appeals, but his career as a perfect recidivist delinquent, armed robber, false money maker, drug addict, disobedience to public order.
If he had not shown a refusal to be handcuffed, and to get into the police car, this tragedy, and not this murder, would not have happened.
And you, caught in the act, would you have refused to let yourself be embarked?
No, the family does not deserve this money. Too easy.

If, as you assert, he wasnt in custody then why should he.

2 hours ago, sirocco said:

we must not be the same country, because we do not have the same definition of "custody" nor assssinat "
Well, when a donkey is stubborn, no matter how much you hand it a carrot, it will never move forward.

Here is a hint. If you are arrested you are in custody because you are not free to leave.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 9:56 AM, Scott said:

"Is that money, awarded by the court, now being used initially to compensate all those shops who lost millions in looted merchandise and damages to their properties?"

The money was not awarded by a court.  It was settled by the city, not by the court.  

Thank you for putting the facts straight. This is even better; Minneapolis‘ taxpayers money is used for compensation and the tax is paid (in part) by those business owners, whose outlets got looted! 

But of course, Bluespink, he was really changing his life by buying a pack of cigarettes with a fake ticket and getting drugged the way he was.
You have a very special approach to changing your life.
Come on, don't change, it makes the birds laugh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, sirocco said:

But of course, Bluespink, he was really changing his life by buying a pack of cigarettes with a fake ticket and getting drugged the way he was.
You have a very special approach to changing your life.
Come on, don't change, it makes the birds laugh.

A fake what?

Actually I was wondering, has it been proved that the note was counterfeit?

If so, has it been proved that George Floyd knew it was counterfeit?

Seven years without committing an arrestable offence, or being arrested, that seems to me like someone who was trying to change after criminal activities in the past  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2021 at 10:31 AM, Bluespunk said:

A fake what?

Actually I was wondering, has it been proved that the note was counterfeit?

If so, has it been proved that George Floyd knew it was counterfeit?

Seven years without committing an arrestable offence, or being arrested, that seems to me like someone who was trying to change after criminal activities in the past  

So when stopped by the police ,why didnt he just keep quiet and comply with what they said,like any normal person would? 

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

So when stopped by the police ,why didnt he just keep quiet and comply with what they said,like any normal person would? 

There are disputes about whether he resisted or not and most agree that if did resist it was when being put into the police car.

True maybe not the best action [if he did indeed resist arrest] but that does not mean he was guilty of any crime or deserved to be killed by the ex cop now on trial.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

There are disputes about whether he resisted or not and most agree that if did resist it was when being put into the police car.

True maybe not the best action [if he did indeed resist arrest] but that does not mean he was guilty of any crime or deserved to be killed by the ex cop now on trial.

What would you or i do if stopped by a cop and told to get in the police car? Just do as your told ,

By the way have you seen the vid in todays papers of the very polite white cop being shot by the black woman? Its in the Daily Mail.

I await the white riots and the taking of the knee for the cop.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

What would you or i do if stopped by a cop and told to get in the police car? Just do as your told ,

By the way have you seen the vid in todays papers of the very polite white cop being shot by the black woman? Its in the Daily Mail.

I await the white riots and the taking of the knee for the cop.

Second two paragraphs have nothing to do with topic.

Already covered first in post you replied to...

• Sad 1