Thai public fully in favor of going 120 kmph - previous limit was just too slow

rooster59

8 hours ago, meechai said:

Of course they are in favor & this is why they kill 60 or so of their fellow countrymen per day????

Truth is they should not only lower speed limits they should force installation of speed governors on all motorized

vehicles in Thailand....ALL of them period. Limit the ability for the vehicle to get up over 60KPH

Lets face it for what ever reason Thai's cannot handle speed...alcohol either & these are in fact many times intertwined ????

But...They have not a clue of what is closure speed means...They have not a clue when pulling out in front of something what the distance is

or the rate of closure...not a clue

Lastly for what I admit to be seemingly a very nice & caring race of people... Thai's  in the drivers seat of any motor vehicle  instantly turn into

the most selfish mean spirited folks you can imagine with the Biggest ME FIRST attitude I have ever seen. They can be passing thru an accident zone with

bodies & car parts on the road..think they touch the brakes? Quite the opposite they hit the accelerator...same as when they see anyone crossing the street or trying to merge into the flow of traffic

Yeah great idea this increase the risk speed limit

You have to realize that most Thai drivers were raised on getting from A to B on a bullock and cart. I detest driving here in Thailand , although I have driven in many countries in the world over many years .

• Like 2

This is all <deleted>. Traffic jams on freeways are not caused by speed restrictions they are caused by back-ups at exits from freeways nd slow-downs from merging.

Lifting the speed limit to 120 km/h will not improve the traffic flow which will be dictated by the traffic jams which will continue after the 120 km/h increase is initiated.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, upu2 said:

Is that before they crash or run out of fuel?

Same where I live ( around 50% ). I can understand if their pickups are overloaded as is their want, but in most cases they'll be unlicensed and too scared to go any faster.

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The public did not believe that there would be more accidents, they said, if everyone follows the rules and drives sensibly.

Neither of which happens and why Thailand has one of the highest road death figures in the world... 

But Thais know best... let the carnage continue.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, meechai said:

Of course they are in favor & this is why they kill 60 or so of their fellow countrymen per day????

Truth is they should not only lower speed limits they should force installation of speed governors on all motorized

vehicles in Thailand....ALL of them period. Limit the ability for the vehicle to get up over 60KPH

Lets face it for what ever reason Thai's cannot handle speed...alcohol either & these are in fact many times intertwined ????

But...They have not a clue of what is closure speed means...They have not a clue when pulling out in front of something what the distance is

or the rate of closure...not a clue

Lastly for what I admit to be seemingly a very nice & caring race of people... Thai's  in the drivers seat of any motor vehicle  instantly turn into

the most selfish mean spirited folks you can imagine with the Biggest ME FIRST attitude I have ever seen. They can be passing thru an accident zone with

bodies & car parts on the road..think they touch the brakes? Quite the opposite they hit the accelerator...same as when they see anyone crossing the street or trying to merge into the flow of traffic

Yeah great idea this increase the risk speed limit

I would have thought that in the vast majority of road deaths the victims were travelling at less than 60 kph, and what about all the expert drivers on this forum? How would they like to be limited to such low speeds?

• Confused 1

Thai driving decision making is the problem...double solid lines means nothing to them so they pass 

my favorite - using the passing lane on the other side of a mountain road to pass is a classic...

I never stay in the passing lanes on mtn roads for this reason...a driver should never expect to see an oncoming car in your passing lane but it happens regularly...

A very sensible change in the law although I always was told right from when I arrived here in 2003 that the motorway and dual carriageway speed limit, unless otherwise marked, was 120 KPH anyway.  I know this is has to be true as once had a speeding fine for being 10 KPH over the limit when clocked at 130 kph by a camera some years ago on a very deserted  motoway. Was it maybe reduced from 120 to 90 by some legislation I must have missed in more recent years ??  Anybody??

Anyway I must make a few caveats about this new welcome speed limit increase.

Firstly a very sensible and needed minimum speed of 100 kph in the outer lane BUT it should be emphassised in all public road safety announcements that the outside lane on motorways is ONLY for overtaking and thus drivers must use the inner lanes if they are clear.

Secondly more policing needed to ensure that drivers without valid driving licenses, and especially those who have never passed a driving test and thus not undertaken any basic raod safety training, are arrested and very heavily fined and even jailed for second offenses. This must be policed well on motorways and could be implemented well by technology with smart valid driving licenses that are needed to automatically activate road toll barriers.  I believe this is one of the primary causes of the intolerable levels of road accidents with their devastating injuries and intolerable and unnecessary deaths.

Thirdly there also should be an overall minimum speed limit of say 60 kph on all uncongested motorways as it is often dawdling (a trait of many incompetent drivers) that causes many accidents.

Just my two satangs worth.

21 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Most Thai drivers where I live are lucky to exceed 40 kms per hour

Yes indeed, especially between Mae Hong Son, Pai and beyond!! (I know, I have driven the route 3 times)

Mae Hong Son Loop Northern Thailand by Motorcycle – Megan Kaptein

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2