Cost of building house in village vs buying in development in expat/tourist town?

12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Good post. I agree with you.

OP, of course it's much cheaper to build your own house VS buying one from a gated moo baan development. 

We are living in our 3rd house now that we designed mostly ourselves and worked with the builder to get what we wanted. Had no designer, just found photos of houses and styles we likes off the internet for free.

We had zero building / design experience, yet were very happy will all our houses. 

However, I think it all depends on your personality. If you are relaxed about things and understand you can't get things 100 percent perfect, accept there will be some price increases of materials and also delays, then building you own house will be mostly fun.....and you can get the layout and look personal to you.

However, buying a pre built one is easier, just more expensive. You also get less land for your money, so if you want big gardens then think about that.  But it has the advantage of being easy and straightforward with less stress and worry. 

I agree, i would not say it was fun and i also did not expect perfection ( which i don't need ), so long as it's strong and weather proof, all good.

I like the fact that there was no planning permission or permits required but i'm very remote...i like the solitude.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 2:02 PM, jak2002003 said:

Good post. I agree with you.

OP, of course it's much cheaper to build your own house VS buying one from a gated moo baan development. 

We are living in our 3rd house now that we designed mostly ourselves and worked with the builder to get what we wanted. Had no designer, just found photos of houses and styles we likes off the internet for free.

We had zero building / design experience, yet were very happy will all our houses. 

However, I think it all depends on your personality. If you are relaxed about things and understand you can't get things 100 percent perfect, accept there will be some price increases of materials and also delays, then building you own house will be mostly fun.....and you can get the layout and look personal to you.

However, buying a pre built one is easier, just more expensive. You also get less land for your money, so if you want big gardens then think about that.  But it has the advantage of being easy and straightforward with less stress and worry. 

I think I(we) will be able to design the house we want and present that to arhitecht/builders and I am realistic that a house in the village won't be perfect, but I don't want the thing to fall apart.

I have seen some real <deleted>ty builds in suppousedly high-end hotels/apartments around Thailand, so worry that in the village, could be worse

22 hours ago, marc26 said:

I think I(we) will be able to design the house we want and present that to arhitecht/builders and I am realistic that a house in the village won't be perfect, but I don't want the thing to fall apart.

I have seen some real <deleted>ty builds in suppousedly high-end hotels/apartments around Thailand, so worry that in the village, could be worse

Fund a good builder who speaks some English.  Try asking around the area and go and see some houses they have built before you decide. We had 2 different builders, both were good, all their work very neat, solidly built, but the second guy was much better as he was more open minded to our ideas and sourcing materials that were not common here.