Chiang Mai haze: Thai media report that more than 31,000 affected people seek treatment this year

webfact

Just now, rumak said:

Actually,  some great progress has been made regarding the pollution....... thanks to the lessons learned from Covid :

The Thai authorities,  after numerous meetings and reports,  have now come out with this:

All citizens during these months of pollution haze are reminded to observe SOCIAL DISTANCING  as a way to insure not as much pm2 can enter one's bloodstream as there will be more air circulating . 

huh ?

You're kiddin' me

• Thanks 1

Just now, Thailand said:

It must be fairly obvious why there is no action from the ptb.

The deadly smog kills Covid, job done.

Next up from WHO, burn everything, Covid will be gone!

I think smog and Covid are brothers in arms. They both go for the lungs.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

You're kiddin' me

hahaha    yes,  i am kidding you.     But don't be surprised if something as ridiculous as my made up announcement appears from the powers that be.

You remember the govt coming here with an air blower and some pick up trucks spraying water ?     True !   and funnier than my post

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mr mr said:

do you also pull the wool over your eyes ? 

Thailand has its faults, like everywhere else. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives. For others, it's a case of being unable to adapt or cope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thailand has its faults, like everywhere else. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives. For others, it's a case of being unable to adapt or cope.

keep telling yourself that whilst developing respiratory disease. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mr mr said:

keep telling yourself that whilst developing respiratory disease. 

Is that what you want for me just to prove your point? I've lived in CM and CR for 11 years now without any respiratory problems, my apologies for disappointing you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Is that what you want for me just to prove your point? I've lived in CM and CR for 11 years now without any respiratory problems, my apologies for disappointing you.

some are lucky, but for sure not everyone ... just think about children, is it fair to them? how can they adapt? you are right, they just need to cope with the toxic air pollution ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It's not like a natural disaster ,that cannot be foreseen, it happens

every year at this time, lots of talk , but nothing ever happens, they

need to get the Police,Army and volunteers up in the hills, they know

where the fires are going to be set,catch the Arsonists and make

an example of them with a stiff prison sentence ,let them know 

this will no longer tolerated, people's health,livelihoods are at

risk, once again too late this year............

regards Worgeordie

You are asking the authorities to do the work they are paid for. You've been in Thailand long enough to know it isn't going to happen as they get paid anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greenhill said:

Thai Visa and much of the other media use the seemingly benign word 'haze'.    Why don't they use the correct word - pollution?!!

Sorry but you are confusing cause and effect. There IS a haze and everything in it - cause. This creates pollution - effect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

some are lucky, but for sure not everyone ... just think about children, is it fair to them? how can they adapt? you are right, they just need to cope with the toxic air pollution ...

The mean Thai life expectancy is 77 years, for an Australian it's not far off 83. Russians, less than 73. Afghanistan, 65. Sure, life is unfair for many in this world, but what do you expect me to do about it?

• Like 1

Thailand will not do anything until the pollution hits the tourist industry (hits the wallet). So if people (tourists) outside Thailand (Europe, US and so on) get to know this it will maybe start the process to do something about it. Should be quite easy. Buy tractors instead for submarines, military toys, fast train to China etc. etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

well shoot if you haven't developed any issues yet you are in the clear. here's to hoping your kids have the same good luck over the coming 20 years as the problem persists and gets worse.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Sanook reported that more than 31,000 people have gone to state hospitals so far this year with health conditions related to the haze from crop burning that has gripped the province. 

These include people with respiratory, heart, blood vessel, brain vessel, eye and skin problems. 

I pray these people take into consideration that the vaccine shot might be their death ticket as it has been with people in other parts of the world with the same health conditions. 

Only time will tell.....????????????????

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You are asking the authorities to do the work they are paid for. You've been in Thailand long enough to know it isn't going to happen as they get paid anyway.

So best to do ,say nothing, and just accept the situation.

regards worgeordie

It's not only the people up here in the North that have

difficulty breathing, all the fish in the river at the rear

of my house,are  at the water surface gasping for 

breath , this happening every year at this time !

regards worgeordie

17 minutes ago, worgeordie said:
10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So best to do ,say nothing, and just accept the situation.

regards worgeordie

You've been in Thailand long enough to know that nothing will change ????

2 hours ago, mr mr said:

well shoot if you haven't developed any issues yet you are in the clear. here's to hoping your kids have the same good luck over the coming 20 years as the problem persists and gets worse.  

My son lives in a rural environment in Australia. My surrogate Thai grand-kids will just have to deal with it, like everyone else.

It's only one month of the year, at most two. I take defensive action, and I have yet to hear anyone on this thread suggest a better strategy, apart from going somewhere else.

21 hours ago, Antonymous said:

I wasn’t that guy, but I can say that I agree with him that Chiang Mai is demonized in the news and particularly it seems by TV members.

One reason is that people commenting are ill-informed about the scale and nature of the problem. Another seems to be nothing other than schadenfreude on the part of some very bitter people!

I urge everyone to read the fairly comprehensive report below to get a proper overview of the issues:

https://prachatai.com/english/node/9122

I will highlight a few paragraphs:

“The haze problem in Thailand is mostly situated in the upper northern region in 9 provinces: Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, Nan, Phayao, Mae Hong Son and Tak. It occurs from January to April of every year and is not a new problem for residents in the area.”

“Two myths created from the media’s emphasis caused misunderstandings among the people. One is that Chiang Mai faced the most severe problem, and the second is that this problem is likely to increase in severity every year. However, statistics over the past 24 years, ever since the establishment of the Chiang Mai and Lampang air quality monitoring stations in 1998, indicate otherwise.”

“Thai media often refer to the rankings in IQAir’s ‘AirVisual’ application. Headlines like “Chiang Mai haze ranked 1st worldwide” or “at 1st place nationally” were used, but in reality, this was based on real-time data from a point of time, not a 24-hour average as in the ‘Air4Thai’ application reported by the Pollution Control Department. It also only included less than 100 major cities in the world. For Thailand, only Chiang Mai and Bangkok were listed in the network.”

“From the 2019 World Air Quality Report by IQAir AirVisual [https://www.iqair.com/world-most-polluted-cities] which ranked the worst average air quality in the world and regions, Chiang Mai is not the city with the worst air quality in ASEAN (this is South Tangerang, Indonesia) or in Thailand (this is Nakhon Ratchasima). Chiang Mai was ranked 372nd in a total of 4,680 cities worldwide.”

“Data from the Pollution Control Department’s website [air4thai.pcd.go.th] for the 5 years between 2015-2018 show that for Chiang Mai, the year with the highest amount of PM2.5 was 2015 at 266 µg/m³ while the year with the highest number of days with PM2.5 values exceeding the standard was 2014 with a total of 86 days.”

Numbers, numbers.... But the feeling and experience of the most people is that it's getting more intense every year. I too, I live 12 Km outside the city for the past 9 years and my own experience is that the smoke is intensifying especially the last 5 years. Doi Saket is only 5 Km away from my house and there are many days in these 3 months that it's only visible if I get to 2 Km from the village. The PM 2.5 levels are on average 80 µg/m³ but more and more over the 120 µg/m³

Many of my Thai friends feel the same so it's not only TV members.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/25270/behind-the-haze-the-truth-about-northern-thailands-smog-problem/

• Thanks 2

I wonder if they have air purification inside their office?

I have no trouble maintaining under 20 (PM2.5) inside my house when the outside reading has been above 300. The bedrooms are around 2 all night.

My exposure to high levels of PM2.5 is minimal.                                                                Pre-CV19 locals would ask why I'm wearing a mask, I say; "do you see that mountain", Local; "no",....."that's why"!

Living here requires fundamental precautions with house and home, it does suck at times but it is not difficult to prevent the need for a doctor.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Frank Off said:

I wonder if they have air purification inside their office?

I have no trouble maintaining under 20 (PM2.5) inside my house when the outside reading has been above 300. The bedrooms are around 2 all night.

My exposure to high levels of PM2.5 is minimal.                                                                Pre-CV19 locals would ask why I'm wearing a mask, I say; "do you see that mountain", Local; "no",....."that's why"!

Living here requires fundamental precautions with house and home, it does suck at times but it is not difficult to prevent the need for a doctor.

Good points, one can simple stay indoors with windows shut for 4-6 months a year however it's much more difficult to protect children as they want to go outside and play and are required to go to school where they are exposed for 8-10 hours a day. 

Also it's unfortunate that feild burning season coincides with peak tourist season. That's most certainly not good for business. 

It seems those large sino/ thai agro conglomerates profits take priority.????

• Like 1