Uk Settlement

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask those in the know what is the best way for my wife to get a settlement visa to the UK. :o

I couldn't find the right stuff in a search.

A bit of background on us. We've been together 7 years married for over 4. I'm 32 she's 40 no kids. We've lived in Thailand for all the 7 years we've been together. We just got back from a trip to the UK and have decided we want to go back to live.

Do I need to go back first to get a job and accomodation? If not, initially we would be able to stay with my parents until I found a job and they could sponsor her as I haven't amassed a fortune working in Thailand ( 6 years of work permits and visas) unfortunately.

What's the best way to go about this? (hoping Scouse answers) :D

Cheers

Beanster

Sorry I'm not a Scouser but...

You should be able to find all the help, hints and potential pitfalls by using the search facility on this forum and search on the word 'settlement'. This has all been done so many times before.

The official help sites are here for Settlement Visa and Sponsors

See also Robs Guide pinned at the top of this forum

You will need to demonstrate that you will be able to support yourselves without recourse to public funds. So you will have to show you have accomodation (which can be with your folks but they then will have to prove that there is enough room for you to stay and that they own the property or if rented that they are allowed to have you stay there)

As you will need funds on your arrival you will need to show a bank balance which can tide you through the period until you find work or have a job or have a job offer or have the qualifications that will satisfy the embassy that you should have no problem securing employment on your arrival. Your parents can sponsor you both financially also but will have to prove their means to do so.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

It's a shame that you didn't apply for the settlement visa before April, as your wife could have then been giranted indefinite leave from the word go on the basis that you've been married and have lived outisde the UK for 4 years or more. She can still apply for this, but she will have to demonstrate that she meets the language/knowledge criteria. Failing that, your wife will be allowed to stay in the UK for 2 years after which she can apply for indefinite leave.

That you have been together for 7 years is evidently good evidence that the relationship is genuine and that you intend to continue living together, so providing that you can meet the accommodation and finances criteria, I don't think your wife will have too much trouble getting her visa.

All the best,

Scouse.