Tourist visas - for how long?

- I'm 43, Swedish citizen.

- I'm not married, nor do I plan to marry a Thai national.

- I'm retired.

- No intention to work or conduct business in Thailand.

Been living in Bangkok more or less 5 years now - and doing visa runs to Vientiane to get a new 60-day tourist visa. Never been denied; usually getting a double-entry, but sometimes only single.

Strictly speaking, I feel like I'm in a grey-zone; not really a tourist when living here on a continuous basis, but not old enough to be able to apply for retirement visa O-A.

What are my options?

Continue with tourist visas for another 7 years and hope that I will not get denied?

Start to do some creative thinking, explore more or less legal ways to change my visa status?

I really don't want to get myself involved in any shady arrangements or worse - outright illegal maneuvers, just to secure a visa.

Any feedback appreciated!

P.S. No, I don't have 3,000,000+ Baht I can bring to Thailand in the hope of securing an "investment visa".

Life is a tour so think the tourist visa always fits and the consulate must agree.  You are playing by the book now so I would advise you continue.  Believe they would understand your reasons if you had to explain them.  It used to be the retirement age was 60 so they do understand there are younger folks around who need a method to stay.  Believe the fact that they are not strict about tourist visa issue is because they know this is often the only alternative for people.

Hmm.  So when I arrive in Bangkok next week (and am granted an automatic 30-day tourist visa because I'm a US national), I can head over to Vientiane before my 30-days is up and get a tourist visa for 60-days if I want to stay longer?  Then I just keep repeating this process every 60-days so long as I want to stay in Thailand?  This is great to know!  Is there a particular reason to choose Vientiane over other locations with a Thai consulate?

Earlier, I had considered going to a Thai consulate in the US to get a 90-day tourist visa, but there are no consulates near me and there wasn't sufficient time to deal with them via US mail (assuming they would have been amenable to this in the first place).

I already know that I need to be able to show a return passage by air within 30 days of my arrival.  If I purchase the right kind of ticket I can change my return date for only a minimal charge so this is no big deal.

I had considered going to a Thai consulate in the US to get a 90-day tourist visa,

Hi Bill,

Just to Clarify:

A Tourist Visa allows a stay in the Kingdom of 60 days

- (unless it says otherwise eg 30 days).

It is valid for entry into the Kingdom within 90 days.

Roger

A Tourist Visa allows a stay in the Kingdom of 60 days

- (unless it says otherwise eg 30 days).

True.  But a 30 day extension is routinely granted so people often refer to it as a 90 day stay visa (they don't have to leave after 60 days if extended).