Staying at a Hotel for 1 Day for TM30?

Hello,

I'm looking to extend my Special Tourist Visa (STV) next week, and unfortunately, my landlord will not file TM30 for me. I have been looking for alternative options to obtain TM30, and I was wondering if anyone could help me verify whether the below method works or not :^(

1. Stay at a hotel for 1 day, and after hotel files for TM30, apply for visa extension. (Btw, I stayed at a hotel a week ago for 1 day, and I remember that they used my passport to file for TM30. However, should I book another hotel a day before I go in for visa extension or would that be unnecessary?)

2. Pay 800baht penalty for not having TM30 and extend visa.

Thank you so much for your help!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You could book into a hotel that files a TM30. Explain that you want them to file TM30 and give you printout.

I was at a hotel a week ago for 1 day, and I believe they filed me for TM30 (I remember them saying that they have to report my stay and copied my passport). Should I book another hotel for another TM30 a day before visa extension? or maybe that's not necessary? Thank you by the way for the reply!

3 minutes ago, shinwon said:

I was at a hotel a week ago for 1 day, and I believe they filed me for TM30 (I remember them saying that they have to report my stay and copied my passport). Should I book another hotel for another TM30 a day before visa extension? or maybe that's not necessary? Thank you by the way for the reply!

If the previous hotel is not far you could drop in and ask. Would be nice to have the print out of it.

Edited by DrJack54

51 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I believe the fine is 1600 baht and not 800 baht. At least that is what I was fined and I got a receipt.

@toolpush Oh wow, so you didn't have TM30 and was fined 1600 baht? After paying the fine, were you able to extend your visa at the immigration office right away? Thanks a ton for the info btw.

7 hours ago, toolpush said:

I believe the fine is 1600 baht and not 800 baht. At least that is what I was fined and I got a receipt.

You got a receipt?!

So your landlord neglected to do a TM30 and you were fined for something that somebody else didn't do?

I understood that the Landlord should do the TM 30 and if he doesn't then surely the Landlord should be fined, not the tenant.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, loong said:

You got a receipt?!

So your landlord neglected to do a TM30 and you were fined for something that somebody else didn't do?

I understood that the Landlord should do the TM 30 and if he doesn't then surely the Landlord should be fined, not the tenant.

First up you are correct. However in real world esp with accommodation such as Airbnb also guesthouse etc etc, it's best to establish if your accommodation is prepared to lodge TM30 as required. If not then select another place. Earlier post of report matter to police is surely a wind up. Good luck enjoying your stay after you report landlord. 

Re the guy you quoted. If he needed to attend immigration and did not established if owner/landlord had filed a TM30 then that was foolish. BTW the fines in the past when there was crackdown was 800baht.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Thanks a ton everyone for the replies. I was so lost when my landlord said she won't file TM30 for me ????
I guess since I stayed at a hotel before and they reported TM30 online, I will just go to the immigration office for visa extension. If something goes wrong, I guess I will prepare myself to pay the penalty and extend the visa. 

12 hours ago, shinwon said:

Thanks a ton everyone for the replies. I was so lost when my landlord said she won't file TM30 for me ????
I guess since I stayed at a hotel before and they reported TM30 online, I will just go to the immigration office for visa extension. If something goes wrong, I guess I will prepare myself to pay the penalty and extend the visa. 

Did you point out that she must by law file a TM30? Do you have a rent agreement or receipts for rent,?  or is it an illegal Airbnb or unlicensed hotel.  

2 hours ago, shinwon said:

@brianthainess I reserved the stay through Agoda homestay. It's an apartment, so I guess it's basically like Airbnb? (I didn't know Airbnb was illegal here!) I was debating to argue with her about TM30, but I didn't want any troubles so yeah :^(

Almost all the Agoda homestay are privately owned and are also Airbnb listed. You certainly don't stay there if your needing TM30 for immigration purposes. Ignore the "it's their responsibility to file TM30. Some even suggest report to police. Ridiculous. 

Now just get around the issue. If TM30 needed cut your loss and book a night in hotel that will file TM30. Obtain receipt and attend imm

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 10:16 PM, loong said:

You got a receipt?!

I was in Pattaya. I "own" the house I live in. I have never reported before because I didn't ever need to. This time I entered on a STV and went to extend it. They required a TM 30.  And, yes, I got a receipt.

On 3/18/2021 at 3:58 PM, shinwon said:

@toolpush Oh wow, so you didn't have TM30 and was fined 1600 baht? After paying the fine, were you able to extend your visa at the immigration office right away? Thanks a ton for the info btw.

Yes, it was quite amusing actually. I was told to report to the desk concerning my lack of a TM 30. I sat down and the young lady began haranguing me, I held up my hand and simply said:" What If I just paid the fine?". She immediately changed her attitude and with a big smile said ok, give me 1600 baht and all is good. I took the receipt to the extension desk and got my extension right away.

• Haha 1

I just took a disabled mate of mine to Immigration sub office to check that he is OK with the TM 30 for his next 90 days from his new landlord, who did it online, they were very helpful, even made a copy of his passport free, and telling me 3 times to take care of him, wow! compassion from immigration! "him not have to come back you take care him  for him" BUT gave him the form and told him to get the Landlord to fill it out with a copy of his ID and house book. Is their own site that is not working? Or is it bcoz he is new to this province?

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

get the Landlord to fill it out with a copy of his ID and house book. Is their own site that is not working? Or is it bcoz he is new to this province?

If I'm understanding this correctly it is because he has changed address. They are using TM30 for when you change address and they update address details etc.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I understand the situation can be a bit tricky, especially with the TM30 requirement. Staying at a hotel for a day before your visa extension could potentially work. It's essential to ensure that the hotel files your TM30 correctly, just like you mentioned during your previous stay.

1 hour ago, BethanySoto said:

I understand the situation can be a bit tricky, especially with the TM30 requirement. Staying at a hotel for a day before your visa extension could potentially work. It's essential to ensure that the hotel files your TM30 correctly, just like you mentioned during your previous stay.

Why are you posting to a 2 year old thread?????  Bizare

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/25/2024 at 1:26 PM, BethanySoto said:

As for the 800-baht penalty option, it might be a fallback plan in case the hotel method doesn't work out as expected.But have you ever considered taking a short break to unwind? I've been contemplating a trip to Aguila de Osa Costa Rica lately. It looks like a fantastic place to relax and reconnect with nature.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BethanySoto said:

As for the 800-baht penalty option, it might be a fallback plan in case the hotel method doesn't work out as expected.But have you ever considered taking a short break to unwind? I've been contemplating a trip to Aguila de Osa Costa Rica lately. It looks like a fantastic place to relax and reconnect with nature. 

Tempted to report this as spam, but on the off chance that you're trying to be funny, what would such a "short break" from Thailand to Costa Rica (of all places) cost you and how much time would you spend on a plane?

12 minutes ago, Caldera said:

what would such a "short break" from Thailand to Costa Rica (of all places) cost you and how much time would you spend on a plane?

I just checked Skyscanner.

(obviously I have time on hands) 

32k baht one way with 3 stops. 

Why don't folk do this more often.

Back to real world...a TM30 from a stay in hotel will work.

Check with hotel they can give you screenshot of TM30 being done.

• Thumbs Up 1