Do Thai Couples Do Cuddling & Hugging ?

Stooding

Ever tried to explain the difference between a cuddle and a hug to your GF when their english is limited?

Ever tried to explain the difference between :-

เคลียเคล้า

klia kláo = cuddle

กอดก่าย

gòt gàai = cuddle

ศลิษา

slì-săa = cuddle

กระแซะ grà-sáe = cuddle

แนบข้าง

nâep kâang = cuddle

สวมกอด

sŭam gòt = hug(cuddle)

กกกอด

gòk gòt = hug(cuddle)

ซบ sóp = hug(cuddle)

กก

gòk = cuddle

Anyone - Bambi, Steve?

www.thai2english.com

Edited by Neeranam

It is usually B.S. and I often find they have no inhibitions with someone they really like, usually one of the local boys.

So you mean they're human.......amazing.

If they prefer the local boys & not me, they are with me only for money. In which case I will gladly depart the scene and the local boy can start paying the bills. Fair enough!!!

This is difficult to generalise about. I never had this problem, but I have had many whose sexual responsiveness (or honesty about it) left a lot to be desired. I think there is considerable difference in attitudes with various age groups here: under 25 is fairly modern, 25-35 variable either way, over 35-many like your Grandmother's old maid Auntie. This is a big generalisation. I have been told (by some) that Thai women don't have sex before marriage, don't do sex in the daytime, don't do oral sex, never heard of spontaneity,etc, etc. It is usually B.S. and I often find they have no inhibitions with someone they really like, usually one of the local boys.

The truth is Thais are overrated lovers. There are a lot of very beautiful Thai people, but you will probably need a lot of patience and communication to get them to the point where they are satisfactory lovers.

I think Issaan women are very particular that you shower before bed too.

yes,i remember having "by abnam!" shouted at me every night by one lady from sakhon nakhon.sadly our relationship just wasnt to be. :o

what about tongues???

Edited by uptou

Hugs, cuddles and kisses whenever we are alone, and after 4 years , they seem to be more frequent than they were at the start.

Friend of mine told me the same thing about his young Thai wife, he explained it by saying as every day passed, he was closer to dying, so she had to up the affection accordingly to assure herself of getting the house and money when he finally went.

I never did know if he was kidding or not.

I suspect that the 'friend' is a figment of your cynical imagination. :o

Assuming you are correct, as long as she doesn't actively speed the dying process along, I'm not complaining :D

Hello,

so no, my gf isn't a prostitute and I don't give her any allowance (she's normal office employee).

And my initial wondering was not about public acting, I have been in Thailand long enough to see how it is... :o

It isn't a shower trouble either, she kinda likes my natural smell... :D

But it seems she's kinda blocked about her feelings, she almost cannot says she likes something, even about simple things, like for example she never says she likes a movie or stuff like this...

Asians are generally reticent, with girls in particular taught not to show excesses of emotion. Thais tend to believe in keeping a "cool heart", but

But it seems she's kinda blocked about her feelings, she almost cannot says she likes something, even about simple things, like for example she never says she likes a movie or stuff like this...

does seem like something to be a little concerned about.

Have you asked her about this ?

P.S. What about som tam :o ?

Edited by WaiWai

Thai's are not a touchy race by habit.

They wai each other and do not even shake hands.........

However in private I have found little reluctance to kiss and cuddle.

If you have children bring them up to expect a kiss and cuddle as a way of showing affection and to respond

just as you would in the west.

In some Thai families this is missing and may be the cause of the OP's problems.

My Thai fella was very affectionate, and always hugged me to sleep ... I'm back in London now ... only 2 months til I'm back though!

In public, he occasionally held my hand, or brushed my skin. He is more Westernised than most Thais', but only kissed me when he thought noone was looking.

I've heard that some Thai-Thai relationships only ever 'sniff' kiss ... is that true? Does anyone know?

Thai's are not a touchy race by habit.

They wai each other and do not even shake hands.........

However in private I have found little reluctance to kiss and cuddle.

If you have children bring them up to expect a kiss and cuddle as a way of showing affection and to respond

just as you would in the west.

In some Thai families this is missing and may be the cause of the OP's problems.

I'm no shrink. But i would say this has hit the nail right on the head..

Let me see. I agree that Thai families dont seem to hug and kiss as much as western families seem to. I know if I go away for a few months my mum sqeezes the air out of me on my return and i have no problem with hugging my old man too. In contrast i went to see an ex-gf's family after being in BKK for a year or so and her mum touched her slightly on the head and her grandmother just smiled as she waied her. This came as a surprise to me.

However, I doubt there is any less emotion than any of our families it just seems to be displayed differently.

As for hugging, my now GF expects a hug and kiss the moment she comes through th door after work and gets 'funny' if I'm just about to wipe out the last enemy soldier/destroy the mothership/score the winning goal or whatever.

In Public, In private, in the elevator, in the car, at the mall, when ever, where ever it's always a good time for a sweet smelling "sniff kiss" on my beautiful baby's neck. We hold hands and are quite affectionate almost all the time. Just not in front of her parents out of a mutual respect. We both love it very much however I have noted with all her friends when we get together with them and their men, you wouldn't know they were dating unless someone told you, not so much as a held hand in public :o how sad is that????

If ya ask me Life is waaaayyyyyyyy to daammmm short not to kiss the one you love when the feeling comes over you.

If ya ask me Life is waaaayyyyyyyy to daammmm short not to kiss the one you love when the feeling comes over you.

Very true!

My Gf is an obsessive compulsive hugger, If there is no show of affection, even in private then there surely must be something wrong.

Mark

Hello,

before to sleep, I like to cuddle & hug my Thai gf. (I don't mean about something more :o )

Most of times, she just does nothing and waits...

We're together since 2 years, so I asked her several times why she almost never cuddles & hugs with me if I don't do it, and she told me Thai people just don't do that.

I had another Thai gf long time ago, and it's true she wasn't much into cuddling either, although, she liked it a bit more than my current gf.

So I wonder if all Thai girls are like that, or if I have been unlikely with my 2 picks... :D

From what I see here, it seems clear than Thai people are a lot less demonstrative in public (outside & even at home) than westerners, but I'd think it's not the case once they have a bit of privacy...

Hugs feel good, whatever ur culture is, no ? :D

Depends on the girl and her upbringing.

:D Expressing affection openly in public among couples in Thailand was once regarded by much of the population as poor taste and not done. Only "girls of easy virtue" would do that openly in public.That idea still runs somewhat in Thai society, but the younger Thai generation is turning away from that idea.

Also you should understand the Thai tradition not to touch the head or stroke a woman's hair.

There are still older women who don't feel that they should touch or be touched by their partner, except for sex. It has been drilled into them from youth, and that kind of brain-washing is hard to get rid of. It isn't considered to be nice to be to interested in pursuing sex with your partner. That's an "old fashioned" idea however.

Anyhow, it shouln't bother you that much. Just say, "Goodnight my darling", or something similiar. She will get the idea.

:D

I'm an American woman and according to my ex-husband, was not super affectionate, and he complained about this a lot. But, in my opinion, it was over stupid issues, like if I would jump off the computer when I was in the middle of business, to run and hug/kiss him at the door when he arrived. However, he would also, not bother to actually walk into my office room and offer me a kiss while I was working ... maybe it was more about a power play. And since we are divorced, you can see we never resolved this issue. When he came one time to Thailand to visit me, he was sure that I was lying to him, when I asked him not to "handle me" too much in public as this is an issue here and would contribute to my reputation as a western whore ... I first came to live here when we were seperated.

However, I have had a Thai boyfriend for about 2 years now, and asked him the questions posed here, and what was his opinion about me. He is 44, and I am 41, and he said I am "medium" on the scale, and he likes this, and found that Thai girls were different as far as, the ones he was sure loved him, were affectionate, the ones he was sure loved him for money, were less so. But he did say that no Thai girls were more affectionate than me.

Hope this helps and please don't wrtie me any stupid stuff in response as I am trying to help and be honest.

from my experience, younger generations are much more open and westernized. Although it does have to do with upbringing and environment, girls at universities are really hit or miss, some are crazy (ie crave ) about public affection and some are too shy to even hold hands, although id really have to say the the trend is going in the more liberal direction..

Ever tried to explain the difference between a cuddle and a hug to your GF when their english is limited?

เคลียเคล้า

klia kláo = cuddle

กอดก่าย

gòt gàai = cuddle

ศลิษา

slì-săa = cuddle

กระแซะ grà-sáe = cuddle

แนบข้าง

nâep kâang = cuddle

สวมกอด

sŭam gòt = hug(cuddle)

กกกอด

gòk gòt = hug(cuddle)

ซบ sóp = hug(cuddle)

กก

gòk = cuddle

Anyone - Bambi, Steve?

www.thai2english.com

The best way to understand the subtle nuances of the above expressions is just to have your "significant other" demonstrate all of them to you, as I just did. It'll get you into the mood for bed-time, I assure you. :o

เคลียเคล้า

klia kláo = cuddle

กอดก่าย

gòt gàai = cuddle

ศลิษา

slì-săa = cuddle

กระแซะ grà-sáe = cuddle

แนบข้าง

nâep kâang = cuddle

สวมกอด

sŭam gòt = hug(cuddle)

กกกอด

gòk gòt = hug(cuddle)

ซบ sóp = hug(cuddle)

กก

gòk = cuddle

Anyone - Bambi, Steve?

www.thai2english.com

The best way to understand the subtle nuances of the above expressions is just to have your "significant other" demonstrate all of them to you, as I just did. It'll get you into the mood for bed-time, I assure you. :o

Good idea - llol

While I will concede that every woman is different, every Thai GF I have had has demanded affection in private – be it sitting on the couch or before going to sleep. It is almost oppressive (especially when I am trying to get work done), and I generally enjoy relationship affection.

My theory is that Thais are so reserved when it comes to public displays of affection (be it outside or in front of the family), that in private they need to make up for this lack of contact. This is also the reason Thais can seem to fly off the handle so fast in a relationship argument – they need to be so reserved at other times, that when its on, ITS ON.

Obviously it depends on the individual girl and the relationship, but the kiss and hug mentality is not firmly entrenched here as in the west.

For example look at the sniff kiss that most thais practice. It was funny to see Paradorn sniffing Natalie at their engagement, it looked like he was checking if she had gone off like some cheese. It would be interesting to know the origins of this practice (if anyone knows). Could be in the past that it was a test of the smell of body odour

Affection is public between couples in public is supposedly deemed as unacceptable but I have noticed that thai guys (presumably not gay) between themselves seem to walk hand in hand, hand on shoulders and are quite affectionate with each other etc. without worrying too much, which is something not practiced by western males.

Give me a couple in love expressing their emotions by hugs and kisses anyday

One of those cultural hurdles that need to be leaped over

Funny... just last night, my wife lashed out at me for not cuddling and hugging her enough and asked whether I was married to my computer or her. lol :D

Every Thai girl is unique, mate. Some are into it some are not.

Hello,

before to sleep, I like to cuddle & hug my Thai gf. (I don't mean about something more :o )

Most of times, she just does nothing and waits...

We're together since 2 years, so I asked her several times why she almost never cuddles & hugs with me if I don't do it, and she told me Thai people just don't do that.

I had another Thai gf long time ago, and it's true she wasn't much into cuddling either, although, she liked it a bit more than my current gf.

So I wonder if all Thai girls are like that, or if I have been unlikely with my 2 picks... :D

From what I see here, it seems clear than Thai people are a lot less demonstrative in public (outside & even at home) than westerners, but I'd think it's not the case once they have a bit of privacy...

Hugs feel good, whatever ur culture is, no ? :D

This is also the reason Thais can seem to fly off the handle so fast in a relationship argument – they need to be so reserved at other times, that when its on, ITS ON.

:o I'm glad to know it isn't just my gf! Bottling your feelings is never healthy...

Frankly, I find that the heat makes me not want to be very cuddly. When it's cold, it's nice to cuddle, but when it's hot, it's not so nice.

Ah, the price of affection! If you really want it on hot nights, cuddling will cost you about 20,000B initial outlay and 1,500B a month. It's called A/C. Where are your priorities??? :o