Panasonic takes prefab homes to house-hungry Thailand

MARIMI KISHIMOTO, Nikkei staff writer

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F2%2F6%2F1%2F9%2F33119162-1-eng-GB%2Fphoto_SXM2021031700003973.jpg

Panasonic has partnered with Siam Steel to build modular homes like this one in Thailand, slashing construction times. (Photo courtesy of Panasonic)

BANGKOK -- Owning a single-family home is a widely held aspiration around the world. And Panasonic is bringing its manufacturing prowess to bear in hopes of making it more affordable in Thailand.

The Japanese electronics maker has partnered with Siam Steel International to construct modular homes in the Southeast Asian country, aiming to eventually cultivate a 10 billion yen ($91.7 million) business.

Thai condominium sales have stalled from COVID-19. But sales of detached homes remain strong, especially in the Bangkok area. Panasonic sees growth potential in the modular-home business.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Construction/Panasonic-takes-prefab-homes-to-house-hungry-Thailand

nk.jpg

-- © Copyright Nikkei Asian Review 2021-03-21

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Too much glass in the wall area will be more like living in a greenhouse than a house.

I made that mistake when purchasing a house in a moobaan in Ubon. The entire front of the house was glass with the exception of about 3 meters out of 13.5 total.  Additionally the lounge (living room) has two 1 meter windows on the side. Also, the kitchen area on the opposite side of the house had two large windows 2 meters and 1.5 meters wide respectively out of 7 meters of wall.  I subsequently removed the windows from the kitchen side wall, but that still left a 1.5 meter window in the front and a 2 meter window in the back.  Like you say total greenhouse.  Lastly, I bricked in 2/3 of the front of the house turning the 3 meter entrance and a parking space into a bedroom. That still left me with one parking space and a 1.5 meter window and entrance into the kitchen.