Representation for long term British expats

29 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Good for him! A great shame that his party's leader (Sir Ed Davey, MP, in whose constituency I am currently registered as an overseas voter and who has studiously ignored a number of representations I have put to him over the years) is apparently not prepared to follow suit!!????

Can be found in the "Brave New World" pub facing his office on occasion ????

• Haha 2

I remember reading recently that UK expats will soon be eligible to vote in local elections of their last constituency, and that the fifteen year rule will no longe apply. Not sure of full details but was put before the HoC recently. 

On 3/22/2021 at 7:22 AM, Surasak said:

I remember reading recently that UK expats will soon be eligible to vote in local elections of their last constituency, and that the fifteen year rule will no longe apply. Not sure of full details but was put before the HoC recently. 

I read that too. About time.

A response from one MP

Parliamentary procedure requires MPs to only take up cases for people who live in their constituency. If you are a resident of North Down and have not already done so, please provide your full name, address and a contact telephone number so that I can respond to your query.

If you live outside North Down, you will need to contact your local MP. If you are unsure who this is you can find out by entering your postcode here

I receive a huge volume of correspondence and I thank you for your patience and understanding as my small team and I handle your request. We will be back in touch ASAP, but please bear in mind that we sometimes have to triage and prioritise emergency cases.

On 3/22/2021 at 4:24 PM, chilly07 said:

Good for him but he hasn't been able to do much about frozen pensions yet

Nor will he. Wiki "Frozen State Pensions" and read "Challenges". I doubt this guy is gonna make much difference. This is only a side issue for me as my main pension is index linked, so I haven't gòne into it in great depth, but I must say there's a weird list of exceptions. The Isle of Man, Jersey, and some others I can understand, but North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey?

On 3/22/2021 at 1:22 PM, Surasak said:

Certainly there are proposals to scrap the 15-year rule, but I don't think that there are any plans to permit us to vote in local (as distinct from national) elections in the constituencies in which we are registered as overseas voters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56265898